Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crusades Against Necromancy  (Read 2549 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Crusades Against Necromancy
« on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:42 am »

Since many worlds become overrun with necromancers, IT would be neat to have societies formed against the undead and necromancers. They would recruit from settlements and kill Vampires AS Well AS necrotowers.

The concept of crusades could be applied elsewhere AS Well.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Crusades Against Necromancy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:29:30 am »

+1, and when more supernatural creatures can be generated we could have crusades against those too. Or against races associated with spheres the crusading civ doesn't like.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:46:36 am »

Or against races associated with spheres the crusading civ doesn't like.
They do that already - civs will start wars over civs with opposing spheres and list the specific spheres they hate as justification.  I made a civ that is aligned with order, laws, and fire, and they attack the chaos, depravity, and water civ all the time.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:47:05 am »

Multiple civs can already form "alliances" to fight against certain threats (goblins and necromancers currently). I'm not sure if these alliances operate offensively yet - they seem mostly defensive at the moment, if one civ is attacked the others will come to their aid.

But freelance "monster hunter" groups might be a nice addition.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:41:49 am »

Didnt know that.
So you Guys know If Religions Form crusader Type groups? Because obviously Religions should at Times Go to full scale wars over their believes.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »

It should depend from their spheres; Death-aligned civilizations should ally with necromancers.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 08:57:39 pm »

I think, worlds hsve too small amount of necromancers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 09:37:44 pm »

Then you're not playing the latest version. Without mods, generate a small-medium world for 3-4 hundred years and they'll have completely taken over 9 times out of ten.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 09:41:15 pm »

Didnt know that.
So you Guys know If Religions Form crusader Type groups? Because obviously Religions should at Times Go to full scale wars over their believes.
They do, yes.
But no crusades yet.

Devblog:

Toady One
Worldgen mercenaries now participate in battles. If they do well, and survive for a time, they can pull together some of the other mercenaries participating, as well as some of the other non-historical people participating, and create a mercenary company. These can be quite different from each other.

The last one I looked at was founded by Oddom Weatherbrass, whose great grandmother was a bookkeeper who feel in love with a necromancer, became obsessed with her own mortality a few years later (unrelatedly, somehow), and began worshipping the skeletal death god Rakust. Kadol received Necroskull, a slab with the secrets of life and death, from the god and became a necromancer herslf. She was murdered decades later by a criminal assassin and so forth, but the important point for this log is that she had a large family and they were all death god worshippers. Not necromancers, but Kadol's non-traditional religious beliefs passed down. Oddom was devout, and after a few battles, she founded a mercenary order devoted to the worship of Rakust and dedicated to the mastery of the mace and the battle axe, the mace being her favorite weapon. Oddom's daughter was also a mercenary by that time, and being a death-worshipper, she joined the order when it was founded. Over several battles of recruitment, they came to have over sixty soldiers (non-historical converts, as it was hard for them to find co-religious historical people), created a treasurer position to manage the income (taken by daughter Inod), founded a fort which they inventively named Necrodie, and there constructed the Chapel of Oblivion for the worship of Rakust. Pilgrims, often from their extended family, but sometimes from other necromancer families, often visited the Chapel to pray, and sometimes became prophets and formed their own religions and temples in other parts of the world. (Military orders can also be founded aligned with specific organized religions, but that wasn't the case here.)

As a mercenary order dedicated to a few weapons (Oddom valued skill, like many dwarves), they had honors which they bestowed at various skill levels and other milestones (battles, kills, years of service.) Oddom was exempt from the general rank system as overlord, but Inod was made a 'Soldier' after her first battle. She didn't manage to become a Mace Adept like her mother, as she died in the goblin wars. Her mother died a few years later fighting in a battle, opposed by the Oily Spikes, a militant religious order devoted to the wolverine mountain goddess of the dwarves. The death mercenaries fared poorly overall here... they all died. This happens sometimes. The group was officially disbanded at that point (this can also happen after heavy but not total losses.)

"Soldier" and "Mace Adept" aren't creative names, and the death mercenaries only had three or four general and skill-based ranks, but even more skill-oriented groups with orderly founders can have rank systems with 15 flowerly-named levels for each type of weapon they utilize, and they refine their skills more on their off time. Other mercenary groups focus on military tactics, leadership and organization, and others rely on stealth, and can contract out their members individually for thefts and assassinations. These shadowy groups focus on scouting when they take company-level battle contracts, staying away from most of the danger and offering a tactical bonus to their side's commander. The most versatile companies can do all of the above.

Aside from forts and temples, mercenary groups can also spend money to upgrade the average quality of their equipment; this impacts their performance in battles but also increases upkeep costs. A group that runs into a long dry patch can go broke and disband, though this doesn't happen often (heavy losses/group wipes are more common.) When groups disband, the survivors can rejoin other groups, though they often take some time off (when the Oily Spikes ran into trouble and disbanded after 20 years in action, their founder went off to have a peaceful life as a butcher in a nearby city.) Individual mercenaries can also use their money to upgrade their own equipment. This typically happens before their company (if any) steps up, but a wealthy company can pay to equip joining members if they are behind.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 11:01:54 am »

Then you're not playing the latest version. Without mods, generate a small-medium world for 3-4 hundred years and they'll have completely taken over 9 times out of ten.
I speak about 47.04, it has too small amount of necromancers, even if I generate world of 10000 years.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 09:44:00 pm »

Yeah, I had some worlds where a Necromancer tower popped up and in milliseconds are destroyed and none rose after that. However those are rare and are usually small regions.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 06:23:23 am »

I like it.

It could be modelled on the actual crusades, with several civs chipping it.

If a civ called a crusade, you'd get a messanger asking if you wish to participate in the crusade, and he'd demand warriors from you. There should be some benefit to it. Like the warriours got a title as "crusader" or something cool.

Then all the soldiers go to the defined meeting places, and when they are gathered they go on a raze mission to the target. If they survive, they return, and surely, many engravings will commemorate the crusade!

Alternatively, if you had a King he could call a crusade, and you'd send messengers around to ask for help.

(I see no problem why you cannot call crusades on any settlement you want to? Why only necromancers? Heck, you could yourself get attacked by a crusade.)

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 06:17:41 am »

I like it.

It could be modelled on the actual crusades, with several civs chipping it.

If a civ called a crusade, you'd get a messanger asking if you wish to participate in the crusade, and he'd demand warriors from you. There should be some benefit to it. Like the warriours got a title as "crusader" or something cool.

Then all the soldiers go to the defined meeting places, and when they are gathered they go on a raze mission to the target. If they survive, they return, and surely, many engravings will commemorate the crusade!

Alternatively, if you had a King he could call a crusade, and you'd send messengers around to ask for help.

(I see no problem why you cannot call crusades on any settlement you want to? Why only necromancers? Heck, you could yourself get attacked by a crusade.)

ohhh yeah, it could give you some diplomatic boost from not only your own civilization but also others participating in the crusade. a crusade against you could be a last ditch effort from the other civilizations to stop your war machine from rolling over the rest of the world, bringing together entites that would normally be at war. i do think that necromancer towers would be targeted more though, i imagine someone animating corpses would be very freaky in the eyes of basically everyone but necromancers.

SomeGuy3

• Bay Watcher
  • Licking dwarf meat is the way to escape starvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »

I definetely love this idea, what about making different factions and guilds that's purpose is to eliminate different creatures? You could have a guild that hunted necromancers, another one that hunted vampires and another one that hunted werebeasts
What's the deal with keas? They're cute little birds in real life, but in the game they're just dumb Ks that aren't useful at all!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 06:37:01 am »

I definetely love this idea, what about making different factions and guilds that's purpose is to eliminate different creatures? You could have a guild that hunted necromancers, another one that hunted vampires and another one that hunted werebeasts
Heck maybe even named critters and megabeasts.
Pages: [1] 2