Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Farwoods: Graphical MUD, inspired by Redwall and Watership Down!  (Read 12515 times)

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Hello all! I'd like to take the time to tell you about a project we're working on called Farwoods. We're a small indie team building what is, for us, a passion project, a free-to-play online roleplaying game set in a land of talking animals where everyone you meet is another player. These sorts of games live and die on their playerbases, so we're trying to get the word out right now, and I know Dwarf Fortress has a strong roleplaying community behind it. You can read a little more about the gameplay on the website, but the basic idea is this: a persistent world without NPCs, where character advancement is tied to time spent playing and not repetitive grinding or combat, so that you can make any character you want and play them any way you want, and you'll still be able to get better at your skills.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5BlpyE0NG0

Here's some pictures from the closed alpha:

We currently have 12 races in the game with plans for at least 8 more down the road. Each race has up to 6 visual variations that don't have an effect on gameplay, but help you set your character apart. Different races have different starting stats that help classify them into soft "roles," but ultimately can be customized to do whatever you want them to do. The game's 9 stats are prioritized for each character, with the first stat gaining 9 points and the last stat gaining only 1. From there, you can choose from some of the game's (currently) 70 traits, taking on weird quirks for bonuses or sacrificing one stat for another. There are some basic traits, like pacifism, blindness, muteness, and deafness, and also more specific or complex ones, like only being able to speak and understand your racial language.

Once you've created your character, you'll spawn inside the Morenth Library, the game's only PvP safe zone and the hub of skill advancement. From the bookshelves there you can scrounge for skill books, which you can use to spend your skill points on things your character can do. Each skill has one or more stats it depends on, and your scores in those stats heavily influence both how quickly you can learn it, and how good you are at it at an equal skill level. You also receive a limited number of skill points, and have to wait to get more through intervals, which award skill points after a certain amount of time playing. In this way, players are encouraged to specialize their characters in a few specific things and take on jobs within the player economy. What those jobs do is entirely up to the player, dependent on how they imagine their character.

For instance, a character might specialize into combat skills, mixing and matching to create their own style of fighting. Then, they have a choice of many different informal professions to choose from: They could be a bandit, and make their living beating up other players and stealing their things. Or, they could become a bodyguard, and find someone who needs protecting and get paid to do it. They could find a player shop that's getting shaken down, and offer their skills to make it safer for customers. They could choose a specific part of the map, and charge other characters to be able to pass through unharmed. They could try and establish some sort of guard presence in an area, and take donations in exchange for chasing off violent animals. They could even pick up just enough survival skills to keep themselves fed, and wander the world as a wayfarer, seeing what kind of trouble they can get up to without a specific goal.

The backbone of this persistent world is the burrow system, whereby players who've been playing for a while are given an item that allows them to place a permanent home for themselves on the world map. This creates a named burrow hole on the map, which can be locked (so that only the owner can enter) or unlocked (so that any player can freely enter and leave). Unlocked burrows can only be locked when they have no other players inside them. These burrows can be dug out however the owner chooses, and decorated for free with doors and countertops, but any other furniture has to be acquired from other players. Doors can be locked and unlocked by the burrow owner at any time, but by acquiring keys from a blacksmith and assigning them to doors in your burrow, you can give other players the freedom to move through specific areas in your burrow. You can use this system to create any kind of structure you want: a home, a shop, an inn, a faction base, etc.

If you've read this far, thank you very much for your interest! I encourage you to follow us on Twitter and ask in this thread any questions you may have about the game. The Twitter account also has many progress reports showing the pace of development on the game and the other features we plan to add. I hope this summary has ignited some creativity in you and that you're thinking about the characters you might want to make and play. You can check out the website for more details and to download the game. Right now much of the game is still in flux and few, if any, of the assets are final, but much of what we intend to add is already in place and playable. Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:17:44 pm by Farwoods »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farwoods: Graphical MUD, inspired by Redwall, currently in alpha
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 01:54:12 pm »

This is giving me huge flashbacks to an tiny old Java game called "Animal Forest" that we had a couple of threads for in 2009-2012, and was also a tile-based, top-down multiplayer game with animal sprites and RPG traits. I'm pretty sure that player-owned "burrows" were a feature, too. Any chance there's a relation?

Either way I'll keep an eye on this, it looks like it could be a lot of fun!

EDIT: I found an old internet thread on Google with some screenshots of that other game if anyone was curious, though it's been defunct for years now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:01:11 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 02:33:25 pm »

This is giving me huge flashbacks to an tiny old Java game called "Animal Forest" that we had a couple of threads for in 2009-2012, and was also a tile-based, top-down multiplayer game with animal sprites and RPG traits. I'm pretty sure that player-owned "burrows" were a feature, too. Any chance there's a relation?

;)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 02:41:15 pm »

;)
Well glad that my memory works for some things! I was doing some deep digging on the WayBackMachine just now and was pretty certain so I'll take the wink, haha. I'll definitely have to try it out once it's up and running; I spent a decent chunk of time on AF so I'm very interested to see what a 2020 version would look like! :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:25 pm »

If you know anyone else who'd be interested in the concept, do feel free to tell them about it. We're going to need a decent chunk of concurrent players to get anywhere.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »

Looks interesting.   

So, guys, anyone want to join up for this together and work on a group burrow? Build some kind of grand megaproject? Something intimidating and defensible, yet welcoming and comfortable for players beasts of all walks of life? Something like, say... an abbey? ;)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 02:05:01 am »

I could be up for that. Though it seems like I need to get my hands on a Alpha invite code.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:09:41 am by Xardalas »

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 02:40:37 pm »

As a reminder, we post progress updates on Twitter and Mastodon. Here's an example: https://twitter.com/FarwoodsGame/status/1276592539731218437

Feel free to follow us on there to see more of the game and be notified when we open the alpha.

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 11:59:17 am »

Alpha has gone well thus far, though it's made it difficult to find time for progress posts. Many thanks to those who've participated so far.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 12:44:44 pm »

PTW this is quite interessante
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »

Looks awesome. I also greatly respect that you provide alternatives to Twitter to view updates.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 06:44:47 am »

Heyo, this is far from dead, though I haven't been keeping up on progress reports. Here's a new one: https://twitter.com/FarwoodsGame/status/1307646749767536645

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:17 pm »

Another progress report, this time on reading and writing: https://twitter.com/FarwoodsGame/status/1310396946394345472

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 09:34:48 pm »

Sweet. I love the literacy skill idea--what kind of interactions did you have in mind with using it? Would the game be a very different experience depending on whether or not you are literate? Or is it more of a progression thing?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Farwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:50 pm »

Sweet. I love the literacy skill idea--what kind of interactions did you have in mind with using it? Would the game be a very different experience depending on whether or not you are literate? Or is it more of a progression thing?

No, Literacy only matters for writing. All characters can read unless they specifically choose the Illiterate trait, which makes it impossible for you to read or write and makes skill books less effective (they have pictures). Literacy can also be used for miscellaneous other things and for crafting your own skill books.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:37:51 pm by Farwoods »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4