Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving Stuck Merchants  (Read 705 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving Stuck Merchants
« on: June 26, 2020, 01:57:30 pm »

Some merchants in my fort got spooked by combat, so they refused to leave. This is a new fort, so if their guards stuck around long enough to go insane they could easily kill everyone. I needed them to be dead or gone.

The merchants and guards were all clustered together down in the first cavern. I dug shafts over them and dropped rocks on them. They dodged the rocks every time. So I built a wall around them, built a retractable bridge over them, loaded it with rocks, and carpet-bombed them. Some of them died; some still managed to dodge.

After three rounds of bombing, one hammerdwarf simply refused to die. So I decided to drown her. I designated my bridge as a pond, loaded it with water, and dropped it. Her tile went to 7/7 water, but she didn't drown. Instead she climbed up out of her tile, found a staircase on the z above, and walked straight out of the fort.

The moral of this story: If someone in your fort is stuck, try building a wall around them and dumping water on them. The urge to avoid drowning might jump-start their AI and get them moving again.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Stuck Merchants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:20:44 pm »

If they have already packed up their stuff and are stuck before leaving the map - then you can deconstruct the trade depot without issue.

Otherwise you can deconstruct it and you'll end up with all their stuff - I believe it still considers that stealing their haul. This might not effect things with the civ that sent them.