Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant breeding  (Read 826 times)

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant breeding
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:35:46 am »

Strawberries in your fort are the same as mine and remain the same whatever you do.

My suggestion is to implement a system that would add plant qualities such as fertility, disease resistance, cold/hot weather resistance etc. Growing your best seeds of a kind would mean better harvest that would produce even better seeds. That would mean trading seeds becomes way more interesting. Better appraisers would be able to tell kinds of seeds apart.

You should also be able to graft trees to produce new types of them - but only sometimes and if done by a skilled dwarf.
Dwarfs with beekeeper skill could artificially cross-pollinate plants to try and mix their traits.

On related note - taking cuttings and planting them to become trees is really something that makes sense in DF world. After having it in Gnomoria I can't unsee such an option ;)
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 04:48:05 pm »

Genetics might actually be an useful idea, since basic concepts of heredity were known pre-1400.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:58:01 pm »

Farms as they stand are basically a place holder to generate food. I'd love to see a more complicated farm system.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:15:56 pm »

I look fwd to weaponizing whip vine.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:30 pm »

yeah i imagine a farm simulator dwarf fort.