Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Light Aquifers: The Definitive Guide (!!Science!!)  (Read 4747 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Light Aquifers: The Definitive Guide (!!Science!!)
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:41:52 pm »

After an extensive experiment, here are my conclusions on light aquifers:
1. An open tile will receive water if it is N, S, E, W, or down from a light aquifer tile. There is no diagonal transmission.
2. The amount of water received by an open tile is not affected by the number of adjacent aquifer tiles. One is just as good as the maximum of five.
3. The rate of water generation is quite variable. It probably uses a low-chance-per-day system similar to strange moods. The average is four units of water per month, but over a six-month period I've seen the average go from as low as two to as high as six.
4. Therefore, the most efficient way to get water out of a light aquifer is to put it in the ceiling. That way, every open tile will produce water.

The experiment used a small fort with a two-layer light aquifer. I dug out twelve different open tiles and surrounded each with a diffent configuration of aquifer tiles and constructed walls. I put a measuring column 10 z-levels high under each open tile. All the columns were closed at the bottom with hatches linked to a single lever. I left the hatches open while digging the configurations, to avoid premature water collection. Then I closed all the hatches on the first day of autumn 292. I collected data six months later on the first day of spring, and again twelve months later on the first day of autumn 293.

Here's the raw data:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Three of the four configurations that produced the most water over twelve months involved only a single aquifer tile, hence the conclusion that extra orthogonal aquifer tiles yield no benefit.

The fort with the 12-month data is here. The hatches and the lever that controls them are all on z97. You're welcome to dump out the collected water and run it again, or fiddle with the configurations.

Edit: One more detail: Light aquifers do not act as drains.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:08:25 pm by Leonidas »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Light Aquifers: The Definitive Guide (!!Science!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:14:50 am »

Useful tests, and not the results I had expected (which makes it even more useful).

Regarding the drain test: Did you check that they don't work as drains at all or just that the don't act like the unlimited sponges of heavy aquifers? I'm not sure it makes any practical difference, though. I've already found that it's a pain to set up a dwarf washer using a light aquifer.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:21:27 am »

Regarding the drain test: Did you check that they don't work as drains at all or just that the don't act like the unlimited sponges of heavy aquifers?
I just made a pond on top of a light aquifer tile, and the water stayed there. I didn't wait a long, long time, though.

cnagorneac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 05:54:20 pm »

I did a lot of tests today and i think i know how the water that drips from light aquifer is generated.
The most representative test is the next one:
I made total 4 shafts. 1 and 2 look like this: (A = aquifer, S=stair, W=wall)
AAAAA   WWWWW 
AASAA   WWSWW
ASASA   WSASW
AASAA   WWSWW
AAAAA   WWWWW
they also have a layer of aquifer on top of them. Shafts 3 and 4 are the same but without aquifer on top of them
After some long time collecting the water, i can tell you that they all generated almost same ammount of water.
So my conclusion is that water is generated by tiles that have vecinity with aquifer wall or ceiling and it does not mater with how many of them. Just simple yes/no trigger.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 07:43:13 pm »

AAAAA   WWWWW 
AASAA   WWSWW
ASASA   WSASW
AASAA   WWSWW
AAAAA   WWWWW

The teletype (typewriter) or code (pound/hash) options in the post editor make it use a fixed-width font.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 08:49:42 pm »

So my conclusion is that water is generated by tiles that have vecinity with aquifer wall or ceiling and it does not mater with how many of them. Just simple yes/no trigger.

this was all done on the newest version correct? nicely tested. I am surprised since these results are counterintuitive.

so then, do heavy aquifers have the same mechanics of generation ... hmmm

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 04:53:48 pm »

Very good !!SCIENCE!!

I like knowing this because I am very fond of embarks with light aquifers.  The ability to have water without it being terribly likely you drown your fort is nice.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 12:28:31 pm »

I've been trying to increase water output from light aquifers, and was recently fooled by nonaquifer tiles appearing as damp stone just because there was at some point water in the next tile over.  I had a long tunnel dug across the map, but as it filled, the entire length of walls gained the damp tile designation, so now I can't tell where the aquifer section of it was without just good old fashioned excessive digging, and observing the newly exposed tiles before water sloshes against them.

Just something to be aware of I suppose.