Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS and Ceiling Height  (Read 837 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS and Ceiling Height
« on: June 27, 2020, 08:04:29 pm »

Which runs faster?
1. Two 40x40 rooms one z-level high.
2. One 40x40 room two z-levels high.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: FPS and Ceiling Height
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:24:27 pm »

2. Not by much though.

The main impactors when it comes to tiles is A) how many are revealed, and B) how much pathing search space there is. Your example gives more walkable tiles for pathing to search, but the same amount of revealed tiles.

Since the game uses A* pathing, empty irrelevant paths are most often just skipped, but it's not entirely negligible. So reduce walkable tiles to improve FPS.

(if you're trying to speed up an old fort I'd suggest turning off temperature and doing whatever you can to reduce the number of existing items)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:26:04 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:06:16 pm »

if you're trying to speed up an old fort I'd suggest turning off temperature and doing whatever you can to reduce the number of existing items
I want to make lots of stone, so that all my dwarves will become good mechanics, which will make them better scholars. I figure that extra-tall rooms will get me lots of stone with the least FPS hit, and provide nice tree farms to boot.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:18:41 am »

You should be able to recover some FPS in situation 1 if you seal off rooms after digging them, probably on par with situation 2.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 04:36:20 am »

If you happen to have metal and magma forges, remember you can make mechanisms out of metals too. And old ones can be melted down to be made into new mechanisms for experience.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:19:25 am »

If you happen to have metal and magma forges, remember you can make mechanisms out of metals too. And old ones can be melted down to be made into new mechanisms for experience.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 02:22:05 pm »

I want to make lots of stone, so that all my dwarves will become good mechanics, which will make them better scholars. I figure that extra-tall rooms will get me lots of stone with the least FPS hit, and provide nice tree farms to boot.
Does making them siege engineers or even pump operators work for making them better scholars too?

As for the stones, you could also make an obsidian farm
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 02:30:42 pm »

Does making them siege engineers or even pump operators work for making them better scholars too?

No, it's just the Mechanics skill, at least according to this page. I'm missing fifteen topics that benefit from it, so my plan is to make sure that everyone's moodable skill is Mechanics.

As for the stones, you could also make an obsidian farm
That's a good idea. Thanks!