Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which of these places interests you the most?  (Read 3244 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Which of these places interests you the most?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 07:41:27 pm »

Seems Temple of the Infinite Now and Call of earth are...about equal with Infinite Now a bit ahead.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 07:50:50 pm »

You could set a poll up top?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 09:00:41 pm »

Call of Earth.  As I've said before when discussing it, I think it's more mechanically interesting.  Infinite Now sounds kinda likely to just be a bunch of neat weirdo encounters, in a mechanically standard game.  Holegame, holegame sounds better for a system.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 09:32:38 pm »

Nobody likes Green Hell. :'(   
Hopefully this whole thing is a reverse-psychology exercise or summat.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 09:34:00 pm »

That one comes after hole.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »

In order of most to least interesting for me is
Temple of Infinite Now
Call of Earth
Green Hell
Deep Skies

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 11:14:00 pm »

I chose Temple of Now because why choose a dusty hole in the ground when you can fight demons summoned by mankind's collective consciousness?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 11:32:47 pm »

I chose Temple of Now because why choose a dusty hole in the ground when you can fight demons summoned by mankind's collective consciousness?
Right? Also various things from past and future creating new stories never before told

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 11:34:18 pm »

Basically just a tower full of random bullshit tbh. See with the hole, You get a certain progression as you go deeper. And also alien, inhuman ecosystems.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49:18 pm »

Basically just a tower full of random bullshit tbh. See with the hole, You get a certain progression as you go deeper. And also alien, inhuman ecosystems.
yes, that does sound better, learning how different ecosystems work
Changing vote to Call of Earth

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 12:39:46 am »

I kind've expect Infinite Now to be based more around intrinsically understandable things.  It's supposed to historic stuff, and there's a *lot* of weird history, but it's all available and the more interesting bits tend to be decently known.  Most people will probably get exactly why Hitler breaks into crying about his failed career in art.  Even the more obscure stuff will probably be a wikipedia search away from having some explanation of the why.  It's human history, so it will feel more human.

Holegame seems to be at least in part inspired by Made in Abyss, which itself is kinda like an anime take on Roadside Picnic, if the titular roadside picnic had been a drive-by shooting.  That means it'll probably be a lot more alien and strange.  Plus I think an exploration game about descending into a cursed hole which rips away at your life and humanity if you try to return from its depths is really cool, if Dubs chooses to emulate that.  It just sounds less like a traditional dungeon crawl.  Most progress will, by nature of the environment, be downward, and it will probably be much easier to forge ahead than to retreat backwards.  The linear nature of a hole provides a constant metric for danger--current depth--and lends itself to the emergent mechanic of the easiest path always being into more dangerous and fantastic places.  Infinite Now might have neat emergent mechanics, Dubs is good at coming up with new stuff... but they aren't clearly obvious to me.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 03:31:55 am »

I kind've expect Infinite Now to be based more around intrinsically understandable things.  It's supposed to historic stuff, and there's a *lot* of weird history, but it's all available and the more interesting bits tend to be decently known.  Most people will probably get exactly why Hitler breaks into crying about his failed career in art.  Even the more obscure stuff will probably be a wikipedia search away from having some explanation of the why.  It's human history, so it will feel more human.
So your saying the goal of the game is to tell Hitler his art sucks so he'll cry, sounds like it could be funny.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 05:38:45 am »

The goal of the game is nihilism: climb the tower of Babel, break through God's dinosaur-bodyguards and punch him in the face before he can create the universe.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 07:05:25 am »

Holegame seems to be at least in part inspired by Made in Abyss, which itself is kinda like an anime take on Roadside Picnic, if the titular roadside picnic had been a drive-by shooting.  That means it'll probably be a lot more alien and strange.  Plus I think an exploration game about descending into a cursed hole which rips away at your life and humanity if you try to return from its depths is really cool, if Dubs chooses to emulate that.  It just sounds less like a traditional dungeon crawl.  Most progress will, by nature of the environment, be downward, and it will probably be much easier to forge ahead than to retreat backwards.  The linear nature of a hole provides a constant metric for danger--current depth--and lends itself to the emergent mechanic of the easiest path always being into more dangerous and fantastic places.  Infinite Now might have neat emergent mechanics, Dubs is good at coming up with new stuff... but they aren't clearly obvious to me.
You guys assume this is taking place in OUR history~ Or that our knowledge of history is right.

In any case, hitler wouldn't cry about his art because he'd probably be an 80 foot amalgamate golem of furnaces and corpses, carried on a throne and litter of fused weaponry by hundreds of headless nazi SS troopers and what appear to be ordinary civilians with their hearts visibly gouged out and blindfolds over their eyes. Or maybe something akin to the monstrous amalgamation of every distorted and dehumanized propaganda image the allies had for him; features all blown up and twisted to resemble serpents and rodents and insects.

Call of Earth on the other hand will still be fantasy but won't be just pure living metaphor like that. It will be more of a real, if alien, ecosystem. It will be far more grounded, despite the fact that  you might be frantically carrying a giant artifact back to camp through a luminous fungal forest, trying to escape what appears to be a combination of sugar glider and bengal tiger that is jumping and gliding through the canopy above you. It is a world on its own, a place with its own rules and nature for you to try to understand, explore, and profit from. While Infinite Now is akin to fighting through a tower of political cartoons, Call of earth is weird...but it also makes sense in its own way. A creature there has prey and predators, there's a cycle and pattern to it all and you're just blundering into it.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:16:09 am by piecewise »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 11:06:18 am »

Deep skies. Though I'm not 100% sure what the deal would be with that. Kinda open world?
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 [2] 3