Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #23 Feedback  (Read 33293 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #23 Feedback
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2020, 05:01:26 pm »

Thanks ! I'm already happy to begin to read it :)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 06:16:57 am »

Maybe Sarcastron tried to aid their point by giving a practical example of how poorly introducing yourself can put people off.

Sarcastron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 11:45:01 am »

But i suppose this wasn't the real goal of your question, was it ?

It was a genuine question. The reply seemed to be speaking on behalf of the devs. Since it wasn't, no need for me to care about it at all. They're welcome to their opinion, and that's fine.

Sarcastron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »

I suppose it can be difficult to distinguish voices. As an avid listener to the DF talks it comes naturally to me now, but when I first listened I did have some problems.

So anyhow, here's the first 30 (or 28:55) minutes transcribed.

Hey, I appreciate that, and I generally prefer transcription to audio. Unfortunately, my time allocation for this stuff right now is in parallel with working forty feet up on a ladder, which isn't a circumstance well-suited to serious reading (or the voice-pattern matching research someone else suggested).

I'm sure others will benefit from the written word, and I do appreciate the thought, but I'm just gonna work through Overly Sarcastic Production's backlog instead and maybe check back in on DF another time. I spent my summer video game donation budget already anyway, so I'll avoid a bit of free-rider guilt.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 12:29:33 am »

It's true, we were excited to record for the fans who had gone years without a podcast and didn't think about prospective new listeners.  We're just sort of goofy that way, and trying to bootstrap an approximation of production values.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2020, 06:02:53 pm »

Update: I'll be internet-less (mostly) until Friday but luckily not without a computer. I'll try to have the segment completed (it ends at 37:50) by then, and also take a look at Quatch's transcript for the last 20 minutes.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2020, 09:35:26 pm »

Yeah, as Inarius said, I don't think people are looking for super high fidelity transcripts, just enough to understand the content, especially as it has ended up being a pretty large burden.  I can also go through and clean up some of the ??? I see in there, so anybody doing another pass doesn't need to worry about that.  I know a few of them anyway, though I suspect some are just super mumbly and lost to time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2020, 01:32:40 pm »

The second segment has been transcribed fully. I've simply updated the Pastebin file from before, but here is the link again.

I'll pick up on the last remaining 20~ minutes (37:50-59:59), starting with a discussion about tac-nukes. If you want to help out, please do so. More people means it'll get done faster, after all.

I have cleaned up maybe half of what Quatch transcribed (I thank you now, as I think I forgot to earlier), but the remaining parts that have no transcription take higher priority, now that I know no one's working on them.

Yeah, as Inarius said, I don't think people are looking for super high fidelity transcripts, just enough to understand the content, especially as it has ended up being a pretty large burden.  I can also go through and clean up some of the ??? I see in there, so anybody doing another pass doesn't need to worry about that.  I know a few of them anyway, though I suspect some are just super mumbly and lost to time.

Thank you. There was one particular sentence (in this section I just finished) which could be either a statement or a question, depending on whether you interpret part of it as a 'so' or a 'do'.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »

is there a place where we can read what you transcripted already, voliol ? Or are you waiting this is finished maybe ?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 06:41:12 pm »

is there a place where we can read what you transcripted already, voliol ? Or are you waiting this is finished maybe ?

I'll update the pastebin whenever I finish a segment. It's "just" cleaning left though, so it shouldn't take too long.

Edit: The pastebin has been updated, now goes all the way through, including the last 20 minutes Quatch did. Not really done yet though, quality wise.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2020, 06:35:37 pm »

I'm also going to clean up some of the [?] when voliol hands it off, and then I'll post it officially up on the DF Talk page, so you can wait until then if you want the final version.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2020, 06:42:57 pm »

Yeah, I'll look through it all once more, I think, and then hand it off.

Edit: And now I've done that. Again, the same pastebin is being used. For Toady, all the [?]s and [?????]s and other oddities have been time-stamped, along with the interludes. They should be easy to find if you search the text for any square bracket.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »

Okay, I'll see what I can do tonight!  Thanks for all your help, and Quatch too.

edit:  Transcript has now been posted.  I was able to get most of the [?], and changed a few of them to (indecipherable).  Ah, although I missed the non-? []s, and will get those presently.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:29:19 am by Toady One »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]