Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are bastards generated in fortress mode?  (Read 3139 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are bastards generated in fortress mode?
« on: June 28, 2020, 06:54:40 am »

I.e: Are kids born out of wedlock in player fortresses?

I'm curious both for the sake of it, and because I have a hard time getting breeding pairs of non dorfs in fortress mode (almost all petitioners are married to off site partners who don't visit the fortress, won't commit to marriage, or are completely lost causes procreation wise [asexual/homo]). Of the 4 human non married ones prepared to marry petitioning two have died of old age, and while I've been able to pair them up, they produced 5 girls and 1 boy before production was shattered by the death of one member of each couple (one couple was put together out of a widow and a widower, so that part works). And DF does seem to generate a static pool of visitors that decrease over time as they die off... I've somewhat desperately hired on a lord consort and a lady consort and tried to get them together, but so far without luck (Kindred Spirit one way and Long Term Acquaintance the other).
(The 3 petition elves are asexual or won't marry, while no gobbos have petitioned at all. Performance troupes would be a possible source, but they're horribly bugged. Interestingly enough, I've had 3 marriages between visitors, where at least one pair wasn't in the same performance troupe).

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are bastards generated in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 05:32:44 am »

My performance troupes are all completely naked for some reason.  So basically my tavern is a strip club.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »

I'm running a dead civ game (thanks for slabciv by the way), and I don't think so. There are 4 male dwarves and 9 females in the fortress, and after producing enough food and drinks and setting up some other stuff, I let them do a crapton of nothing in the meeting hall. Every single dwarf is friends with each other (no grudges, amazingly), with the exception of one that only has acquaintances for some reason. Over many years, the married women have spewed a constant flow of babies while there were none from the unmarried ones.

Very important detail, though: I used a lua script on the starting and migrated dwarves to make them all interested in marriage but not in romance. Maybe if I turn romance on I'll see some affairs? I'll try that right now and post later if I find anything.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:58:23 pm »

I believe marriage is required to get kids. Pregnancy happens when two dwarfs spend a tick not busy next to each other (quick little devils), so if the male were to die immediately after, I would guess the mother would still give birth. But I've never tested it myself.

I've never had visitors give birth, but I've heard that can happen.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:08:47 pm »

This new update features histfigs having children outside of marriages during worldgen, so it's not a unreasonable assumption that maybe it would happen in Fort mode.

Just as dwarves make friendships, it may be possible that additional romances may unfurl, or even a single romance could cause pregnancy outside of marriage.

That doesn't seem to be the case, though. I'm using prenuptial rooms on dwarves married to different spouses (using burrows to keep the married ones from meeting), and their relationship screen shows that they are "Kindred Spirits", but no romance have formed in two years.
Also, when I was arranging the marriage of the first dwarves, some spent 3-4 years romancing each other and no children until after marriage.

It seems that the marriage requirement for Fort mode children still applies as usual. Adulterous romance and bastard children are worldgen only.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 03:41:38 am »

I believe Toady said something to the effect that out of wedlock pregnancies were not a thing in fortress mode (after this question was posted).

I've managed to get someone who had a lover (I think it was outside of the fortress, in which case it was a human performer) to become first lover to, and then married to another fortress member (so "relations" had two lover entries for a while) and then produce kids. I may be wrong, though, and it might have been a fortress dorf who was a lover with someone who either wouldn't marry or was of the same gender.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 05:38:13 pm »

Cheat tamed reptile men lay eggs, out of wedlock. That sounds strange, when I reread it.

Those 9 reptile men bought tavern rooms.  All single bedroom occupants. They'd be bastards on the embark map, if hatchable.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:12:43 am »

Sapient egg layers are weird in that dorfs readily collect and eat the eggs. I'd expect non married reptile men (actually the women only) would lay unfertilized eggs only.