Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Digging designation cancelled: damp stone located" is out of control  (Read 9110 times)

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress again after a long time. The new light aquifer sounds great in principle, but, my goodness, the damp stone warnings are out of control! I remember them being a nuisance in the past, mostly when digging near magma, but this is an unprecedented level of annoyance. I feel like half of my gameplay so far has been re-designating tiles to dig.

Okay, enough complaining. It's not like I'm going to stop playing this amazing game...

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is only a partial solution, but you can disable the pause / center thing in the init file.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When digging in warning infested areas, try to dig corridors such that as much other stone as possible gets exposed (suffering cancellations while digging those). You can then shear off layer after layer of non cancelling stone by expanding out from those corridors (or avoid digging in aquifers as much as possible, in which case cancellations would be on the same level as with the old aquifers).

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't designate long lines - do it tile by tile, then you don't get as many warnings and it'll actually be faster that way.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

I generally avoid digging in light aquifers, but here's two ideas:
1. Dig out the layer above the aquifer and channel down a huge chamber (multiple layers of necessary), then build walls later to make rooms
2. Start digging a single tile in the center, then designate outwards in layers, digging only the exposed stone each time.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My recommendation is digging in diagonal checkers, you will 'discover' more damp tiles with each tile mined thus have less announcements.  I usually do this pattern with up/down stairs when digging out a shower leaving the last layer an up/down stair over empty air so it can fall for a Z level or two before hitting the grated 'shower' room floor.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

Last embark dumped a square lake on my starting dwarfs and their caravan wagon. All died.

Tried another embark near another river. All was well, til I dug. Lotsa unmanageable aquifer. So..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure if that can be undone. I lined the leaking sand and stone, with smoothed walls, so it should be safe.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just make a macro of your designation where you also record getting out of the warning screen and play it whenever a warning happens.