Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Steel, World Trading and War  (Read 1379 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Steel, World Trading and War
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:12 am »

Hi all,

What would be the effect of having a steel-weapons-producing-focussed fortress, and selling it all to my own civ?

Would my civ in general get more access to steel weapons? Will steel weapons be more available to my fellow civvers?

And the most important question: Will this make my civ perform better in wars with other civs?

Does the availability of certain goods have any effect on war performance? If not, what will?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Steel, World Trading and War
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:25:42 am »

No. Exported goods is stored in a pile somewhere, and isn't actually used. Once economy makes it back in (in 10 years?) one would assume such things will have an effect.

The thing that might have some effect would be to make fortresses, train up legendary citizens with top quality equipment and then retire the fortresses. In principle those hist figs might take part in battles. In practice, they're definitely likely to show up as migrants to your following fortresses, and probably just to stay put if not migrating, with only a rather slim chance of participating in any wars.

Cpt Kennedy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:13:31 pm »

Will the resources enter the economy of the civ on retirement? I'm trying to save a dwarven civ with no access to weapons grade metal and I've been trading them iron and steel bars, weapons, armor, and gear for a few years now in the hopes that after I retire and re-embark they will have picks and anvils available and not die out due to being settled in mountains with only gold.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 02:41:54 am »

No. Everything you trade is supposedly stored in a pile somewhere, but won't be used. The resources available to a civ are fixed at the generation of the mountainhome.
Dwarves always have bronze and steel, and so always have access to weapons grade materials and anvils. Alloys are currently not dependent on the metals they're based on actually being available. This may be an oversight or, more probably, skipped for the (unforeseeably long) foreseeable future in order to ensure the civs will be viable (Humans and goblins are similarly guaranteed access to bronze).