Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The repeated pursuit of blinking dots  (Read 1586 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
The repeated pursuit of blinking dots
« on: June 19, 2020, 12:20:19 am »

So, I do not like cats. How then do I remove vermin(blinking dots)?

I've 9 kennels.
6 set to /r trap land animal.
2 set to /r tame vermin.

I'm a filthy dirty cheater.
dfHack to set to fastdwarf 0 1
teleport is soooooo nice for squadbased engagements, hard to believe it hasnt been renamed "marching" ya know, to zip all the soldiers right into the desired battle, heroicly rescuing a wayward child.

Whelp back to trapping. But, unless I burrow the trappers with alerts or make them perminently belonging inside the kennel burrow  or take steps to lock the cavern access points, the trappers and the rangers will all eventually drown or teleport into unaccessible areas, deadends, and then fall dead to No Job starvation in their pursuit of bliking dots.

This feels like its not working as designed?
Same results occur without teleport on, except its a slower death.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: The repeated pursuit of blinking dots
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:41 am »

You could probably just mod out vermin entirely.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:07:46 am »

So you don't like cats but would peregrine falcons do instead as vermin hunters?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Peregrine_falcon

Just catch and tame a few or just buy them from caravans.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:35:45 pm »

So you don't like cats but would peregrine falcons do instead as vermin hunters?
I tried that. They scattered vermin remains all over and ended up getting shot down in a siege. Cats are easier to control.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 11:56:15 pm »

Woah, that vermin trapper somehow got onto a ledge midway down a deep pit. Got him out with stairs, they seem to really go into hazardous places after vermin. Its a shame the game doesnt pause to alert us of the danger. I often find a trapper stuck up in trees with their trap, much later dead from starving.

Kennel must be operated inside a burrow, if set to /R. If trapping fish, keep trapper on follow, they can easily drown.

Ill try kestrels.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:21 pm »

Tried restricting kennel workshop to a burrow (with no dwarves assigned)? Works for silk gathering; perhaps also works for vermin.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 05:07:41 pm »

The trappers can catch lotsa things in refuse piles and bird activity zones. May want to paint a special burrow in those areas, just for kennel "vermin" trapping on /R. Then feed vermin to a vermin hunter.

Dogs overtop your rotting remains and bone pile seem to do nadda. Trappers maybe will. Good luck. Wish the coder would change Animal Trapping to Vermi n Trapping, as I am easily confused, where to place gh(trapping). Do you know? Which trapping is this guildhall for?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 07:15:56 pm »

The guild hall is probably for the "animal trapping" skill, which is used to capture small animals, often known as vermin.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 07:44:58 pm »

Tried restricting kennel workshop to a burrow (with no dwarves assigned)? Works for silk gathering; perhaps also works for vermin.

Try putting your trapper in the burrow.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 11:49:17 am »

Bollockses! DF has become unstable, crashes everynight to desktop. Never found the missing trapper. Did what you suggested with three vermin trappers. Which is really odd, because he was in that tree experiment burrow, so why is he "missing".

I moved all of region 218 into the bugged save folder. Back to drawing board.

Yes, I know animal means vermin in kennel trapping. But what trade is the Trapper guildhall?
And what is this Engineer guildhall, that for both sieges, like Doctor and Ranger does more than 1 skill? Ive got a grip on the Mechanic guildhall. Some clarity is required, but now that its all gone into the bugged save folder, it maybe pointless.

That 8yr gamesave was roughly 5-6wks realtime. I may try a vault embark, lotsa players doing that. I just gotta remember to null stress and null immoderation in standard creature file, before getting too involved in the building.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:55:56 am by knutor »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 07:13:34 am »

Keep lots of backups too. Those crashes you're getting can be caused by a couple avoidable things, but once the save's corrupted, it's corrupted. So if you want a fort running forever without crashing, you need to keep backups to revert to when it starts to go downhill.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 04:07:31 pm »

Thank you. Can never remind me of that, too much. Ive got a backup, looked at it, however its a big gap of gameplay. 1yr. Tweaking it down some in inits, for safety's sake, with this next worldgen. Seasonal saves.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 12:06:45 pm »

You can mod out the specific aspect of cats you don't like, or mod a different pet to catch vermin.
If you replace VERMINHUNTER with HUNTS_VERMIN, they will stop adopting your dwarves or carrying dead vermin around.
If you give them GOBBLES_VERMIN_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON, they will swallow the vermin they catch instead of leaving remains behind.
You can also make them bigger and trainable if you want them to be good for something else.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »

That sounds fun! TY for the protip, IndigoFenix.