Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "How am I doing" visualizations?  (Read 874 times)

mexindian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"How am I doing" visualizations?
« on: June 30, 2020, 05:29:08 am »

Hi all! First time poster here.

I'm new to DF... about 1.5 weeks now and I'm starting to get the hang of it... but I feel there are a few things missing. Given, I'm a data science kind of person... but I feel that I would want:

- A resource visualizer? Like a dashboard that shows how much food/drink/seeds I have over time (maybe every month = 1 data point?) that way I can start to figure out when funny things start happening at a glance.
- Along the same "vein" hehe as above, I'd like to see a quick stacked chart of what dwarfs have been doing over the past month. Like Dwarf 1 spent 30% of his time drinking (leads me to understand that goblets aren't being stored near dining room), 40% of time woodcutting, etc etc. This would help me understand better what whether the Dwarf Therapist allocations make sense to me.
 - Lastly, I want to know how long jobs take to complete on average. This would tell me whether I need to build another still/change Dwarf Therapist allocations or what.

I have some other more advanced ideas for DF, but for now, I want to start messing around with the above mentioned stuff. My question then: Is this data available and accessible? If so, where?

Corollary question: Is this a good idea? Does it take some of the FUN out of the game?

Longer explanation why: I am like 40 nest-boxes behind and I can't figure out why the nest-box orders aren't being completed. It seems like my carpenter was making a Nest-Box and then trying to install it (even tho he has no other tasks on therapist), but attempting to install it over an existing Nest box... .doing this over and over only stopping to sleep/eat/drink etc... the immediate solution to my problem is probably some DFHack interactions, or I'm doing something else wrong... but the bottom line is that I want to be able to identify these things w/out having to click on a dwarf and watching him for an entire month.

Thanks all!

teatime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How am I doing" visualizations?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:10:37 am »

I think that might implicitly lean the game towards Dwarf Fortress Optimizer, and a very specific type of game. The first few games I also felt like that since I wanted  numbers to tell me how I was doing.. but once you get the hang of the pacing, and how easy resources can be to acquire; how long you can survive on what foodstock.. it would just get in the way.  I would go so far as to say there are types of games I have played where it would have hindered me to be constantly reminded of the dwarves efficiency, even just by having that information available.

Occasionally peeking at the stores gives you a rough idea of the gradient your food stocks are taking, and if they are decreasing you need more capacity.; else you're ok. What you described sounds very buglike to me though, I haven't had nestboxes trying to be installed over each other.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 04:48:15 pm »

I used to like to look at this as a sort of map back when I was learning the ropes, "where can I go today?"

Edit: holy crap what a huge image that is, my bad. Spoilered. right-click, open in new tab, should auto size it to your screen or something.Anyway, this was the first sort of "gonna tick these boxes" in the learning process.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:53:23 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 06:52:23 pm »

There are also megaprojects, stupid dwarf tricks or style projects. I tend to avoid non-practical things, but a few intersect well enough, or are just plain awesome.

Also, with possibilities like this in the game, you might see why there's no real score card per se.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:55:09 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."