Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Impotent creatures in worldgen  (Read 784 times)

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impotent creatures in worldgen
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »

So I've been having this problem with some of my creatures, notably they're both intelligent creatures. One of them has scales and bones a little bit stronger than steel, and yet they still are struck down by things like grizzly bears and dogs, neither of which have materials that are even remotely strong enough to damage my creature. The same creature also has a general force multiplier of 3:4, so it takes 25% reduced damage, has legendary in all combat skills, is able to equip items, has max physical attributes and mental attributes that govern combat, has claws that are naturally as sharp as steel, and a bite that instantly rots off affected parts local to the bite. Despite all of this, out of dozens of world gens, I have never seen this creature get more than a single kill despite many rampages, and they always die to unremarkable things like humans and pets. What am I missing here? Is it the fact that it is only 250000 units large and not something ridiculous like other megabeasts being millions of cubic units? It really seems like worldgen is broken and only takes into account creature size and nothing else.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Impotent creatures in worldgen
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »

As you guessed, size is very much overstated by worldgen. Things like the force multiplier, venom, and skills probably don't matter. Your thing should at least be killing peasants and babies, though. Can we see the raws, please?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:00:01 pm »

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Relevant materials

details

Also, more than just this creature uses those material and tissue templates, and all of those rampage just fine in worldgen. It makes no sense at all to me. I even removed the intelligent tags from the creatures that are incompetent in worldgen and it didn't do anything. I swear creature size is the only thing at all that matters, and even then probably not as much as it should considering how often dragons go extinct.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:40:01 pm by Dubya »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:43:27 pm »

Maybe you could test the size theory by deliberately making this one huge, and then seeing how it does?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:14:14 pm »

Well size mattering is hardly a theory, but much to my dismay, it does indeed appear to be the only thing that matters. Going from 200k size to 500k, my creatures went from a ~10% chance of surviving 225 years in worldgen with no kills to a 75% chance to survive in worldgen with 3-6 kills. While it's not hard proof, it is pretty damning evidence.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:42 pm »

Is 500k an acceptable size for your concept?
My mods and forum games.

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:13:54 pm »

Not really. I was hoping to keep the creature to around the size of a large human at most, that way there would be plenty of armor available to it throughout worldgen, so that when it finally assaults a fortress it would be fully armored. I'll probably just give it an item creation interaction and hope it can equip everything before it engages in a fight, although I very much doubt it. It will likely only be able to use a weapon and shield.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 08:35:59 am »

It’s pretty unlikely that your creature would be armed and armored by the time it attacks a player’s fort. That would require that a full set of artifact armor exists in your world, and that one megabeast randomly stole it all. 250,000 is also too big for human armor.

Why not make more materials and make a layer of metal “fat” as armor for the creature? You could also make sword and shield body parts and attach them to its hands.
My mods and forum games.