Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.93.19a Released  (Read 7542 times)

Elethiomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.93.19a Released
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 07:20:00 am »

Yay! I've been waiting for this for quite a while. So again, yay!

I won't stop there. I have a suggestion, too, of course.

It would be totally awesome if there was a way to change the font size (or even just double/triple font size by making pixels into more pixels) in the windowed mode. I love playing stuff in windowed mode because I can do other things at the same time, but DF is so very tiny on my screen in windowed mode.

Err... also, where's this manual? I've searched the file structure but am unable to find it. Also, how come > doesn't work when I'm over a site in the Adventure game? I have a Norwegian keyboard, which might make a difference there.

[ August 08, 2006: Message edited by: Elethiomel ]

good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 08:18:00 am »

I finally runned it at work. It looks deep. My first generated world seemed excellent. And I am looking forward reading these "legends"

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 08:46:00 am »

Whoah! Just got collapsing cavern. Thankfully none of my dwarves died as I had a door installed, which prevented the shock wave from destroying most my rooms. Kitchen was destroyed as well as stashes of malachite... One dwarf was unconscious for a moment.

This game is fucking brilliant.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 10:26:00 am »

Do you have any download count Toady ? It would be interesting to know the popularity of your game. And how it develops with time !

Herold

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 11:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Elethiomel:
<STRONG>
It would be totally awesome if there was a way to change the font size (or even just double/triple font size by making pixels into more pixels) in the windowed mode. I love playing stuff in windowed mode because I can do other things at the same time, but DF is so very tiny on my screen in windowed mode.
[ August 08, 2006: Message edited by: Elethiomel ]</STRONG>

I would also highly appreciate changing of font size, because on my LCD the full screen mode looks UGLY and window mode is TINY. And I expect that I will play this game A LOT.

The game looks...well...so...really excellent! I can't belive it! I must play it for a while.

One of my favorite characters in RPG is dwarven weaponsmith... This is dream...
  :eek:

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 11:20:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>

Goto df->data->init->init.txt you can change the size of the window there which will also increase the text size. I agree, the default window is to small.
quote:
<STRONG>Err... also, where's this manual? I've searched the file structure but am unable to find it.</STRONG>

Press ? to get the manual during the game.

Elethiomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 11:25:00 am »

Hmm. The game seems to assume an American keyboard layout and just read scan codes. Fortunately I'm rather used to these from the good old DOS days of yore, so I know where that is. It might be an idea to make this clear in the Readme or something, though. Also it might be a problem on laptops?

Thanks for your help!

[ August 08, 2006: Message edited by: Elethiomel ]

good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »

Yes thank you for that screen size thing 4th Tri!

Toady, sofar the game is great! It's a little bit of a lerning curve, so much to do so many ways to do it!

First death I had so far has been my huntung dog I brought with me from my home kingdom of Etagegarezum, "The Big Old Hames"   :(

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »

No DL count yet...  stats are lagging.

Yeah, for font, go into data/init/init.txt and change the relevant lines to:

[WINDOWEDX:800]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:curses_800x600.bmp]

This look all right over here anyway

The keyboard issue is going to be a constant annoyance until I figure these things out -- dwarves used to be written with PDCurses and when I transferred over from the getch() command I brought way too much baggage with me, so I'm not using virtual keys properly.  For now, even though the key bindings screen seems to be crashy, you can go into:

data/init/interface.txt

and play with that directly, although it's a bit overwhelming.  The file interface_qwerty.txt is probably useless for most people, but it sticks almost entirely to alphanumerics.

I'll be working on this issue, but since I can only direct test it on my computer, it'll be an ongoing struggle.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »

Don't worry Toady, what we tell is just to keep you informed, not complains !

Also, it is very intriging to look at the world generation. In the raconting legends part, the later we are in time the longer it takes.

I am wondering what hides behind all these mechanics.

By seing a bit the game I have plenty of suggestions. But I guess that I'll simply refrain myself for now and play.

Suggestions will come later

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »

I just got home. It's pretty late and I have to go to work tomorrow, but I just couldn't resist it... I'm playing it again, and I have just one thing to say.

Toady, you are a god.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 06:06:00 pm »

flap, download count from midnight to 6PM today was 145.  Donation count 4.  Woot!

Thanks to everybody playing the game, and thanks also to people supporting the site!

I took a break today (the first in...  112 days or something crazy), but hopefully I can take care of some of the issues of the next week or so.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:00 am »

I have a kind of a bug to report. It seems that dwarves start avoiding walking on ice a bit before the ice gets thin, right..? Well, I think I just had a dwarf walking over a frozen lake just at the moment when they decided to start avoiding walking on ice.

This resulted in him standing still in the middle of the frozen lake, seemingly scared of walking at all or doing anything else either.. Except complaining about not finding a path to whereever he was going.

"Aban Dodókolon, Miner cancels Eat: Could not find path."

He stood there until the "The river ice is thin again" message, after which he fell into the lake and swam out. After a "Aban Dodókolon, Miner cancels Eat: Dangerous terrain." message.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 04:20:00 am »

Yep Toady, I guess a great thing for you would be to take a big week break from DF, far away from any computer (to resist coming on this forum)

Mainwhile, you let the kids play your game, and crash it to death; or play with all the nasty bugs we'll find.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 04:26:00 am »

Ah, that's strange.  I thought I had handled that a long time ago -- if they are on forbidden terrain, path finding should permit forbidden terrain.  Should be a simple fix.

I tried avoiding the computer today actually, but it just doesn't work, and I'm too nervy too sleep right now, really.  So I've been fiddling with key bindings, and ftp python stuff with X, and writing down bug reports.  Maybe I'll watch Clash of the Titans or something, since I've been having a bit of a Ray Harryhausen fest lately.  Then I'll probably keep working.  It's not like I have anything else to do right now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6