Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [?/16] - Beyond the Ridge - Civbuilding, economics, politics, and backstabbing  (Read 5078 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

Where are the rules about specialties?
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where are the rules about specialties?

They're listed under the CHARACTER section, where the dice roll stuff is explained.

Basically, it differs from skill to skill, but you'll get an additional positive modifier when rolling for a skill if what you're doing falls under your specialization for that skill.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I looked over the character section, but see nothing about how to choose specialties, how many specialties can be chosen, or what the options are. All I see is an explanation about what the specialty modifier is. Could you re-post or PM the important part about this that you want me to choose?

You may also want to update the character template, as it does not include a field for this.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I looked over the character section, but see nothing about how to choose specialties, how many specialties can be chosen, or what the options are. All I see is an explanation about what the specialty modifier is. Could you re-post or PM the important part about this that you want me to choose?

You may also want to update the character template, as it does not include a field for this.

I'll update the section to be more clear, but there aren't any pre-defined specialties, it exists to get a bit creative with and define your character further. For example, Leadership(Squad Tactics) or Combat(Rifles).

I'll update this to be more clear.

Additionally, I clarified some things about starting inventory. You don't need to have an inventory in your character sheet if you don't get anything from your role, but all characters also begin with 500 credits, plus whatever their role gives them.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

I feel like specialty modifiers are like the system in the Chronicles of Darkness TRPG, you choose one of the baseline skills, and than you make some “subsection” of that skill like Academics->Medicine it whatever, which is based on your imaginative brainstorming skills to correlate what specialty you have for that skill.

Now for my sheet, I have reduced my Magnetism by 1 and added the Trade Skill, and changes my all allegiance towards the Archduchy of Karvst, so that is where I meant to come from as stated from my character sheet. Thus, I wish to no belong to the other faction anymore.

I mean I can see their are some stat and inventory problems in the current sheet, as to be the pseudo-GM I am, you have spent 10 points on chargen Supernerd (8 from Stats, 2 from Skills) when you start with 6 with no negative Luck. Also you got a point in Leadership for being an Envoy

As for @NG1999 it seems you start with 2 Academic, and 1 Ingenuity. As well as your suppose to start off with some novel theory, apparently?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I took an educated guess about how it is supposed to work. Please let me know if this was done incorrectly.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like specialty modifiers are like the system in the Chronicles of Darkness TRPG, you choose one of the baseline skills, and than you make some “subsection” of that skill like Academics->Medicine it whatever, which is based on your imaginative brainstorming skills to correlate what specialty you have for that skill.

Now for my sheet, I have reduced my Magnetism by 1 and added the Trade Skill, and changes my all allegiance towards the Archduchy of Karvst, so that is where I meant to come from as stated from my character sheet. Thus, I wish to no belong to the other faction anymore.

I mean I can see their are some stat and inventory problems in the current sheet, as to be the pseudo-GM I am, you have spent 10 points on chargen Supernerd (8 from Stats, 2 from Skills) when you start with 6 with no negative Luck. Also you got a point in Leadership for being an Envoy

As for @NG1999 it seems you start with 2 Academic, and 1 Ingenuity. As well as your suppose to start off with some novel theory, apparently?

I took an educated guess about how it is supposed to work. Please let me know if this was done incorrectly.

Good catch, shadowclaw. It seems Supernerd also left out the Leadership skill Envoy gets.

Start with your role, add the things that gives you to your sheet, then buy any extra other skills or stats than you want. That's the best way to do it, I think.

You also left out your Authority Contact, which for envoy represents a bureau of the government to represent. You can be creative with this too. Are you an ambassador, or maybe a magistrate for the region? This is up to you.

As for naturegirl, that's another good spot. I forgot to add theories and designs to the rules (!).

Basically, a theory is like a psuedo-science thing that you get to make up. Your gameplay will be based around them if you're an Academic, Science type character.

Example:

Novel Theory: Hyper-aximal Gravitational Forces
Recent discoveries in a Solonian polar laboratory have yeilded information about seemingly random gravitational forces that can influence baryonic matter moving at sufficent speeds through an electric field. The exact methods are yet to be described, but research is contuing.

And a design is something like an Arms-race type thing, but more concrete. Not an idea, a blueprint for a thing.

Example:
Novel Design: Gas-Fed Machinegun Prototype
Kravst military engineers have recently begun work on a fascinating new weapon, the machinegun! Capable of laying down fire at an extremely frightening rate, the Maschinengeweh will no doubt be a menace to our enemies on the battlefield.

I'll get to adding these to the rules. That and I need to put some example weapons in there too, but there's one in the character template.
- Charles Babbage

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Not finished quite yet, but, you’ve switched our characters, I am Sierra Primrose Academic, Shadowclaw’s the Magnate. This is fixed now, thank you. Also, is biology too broad of a tree?))
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:00:56 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I got it all done correctly now. Let me know if I am mistaken.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need a specialty for intution (any skill you have a point in has a specialty), and you need a Novel Theory. Check the above post of mine to see what that means-- I'm updating the rules on that at the moment because I left it out.
- Charles Babbage

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that’s good. I will edit out the note of it now that it’s fixed. I have a Novel Theory now, I just need to know whether Biology is a valid Tree or if that is too broad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:01:58 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that’s good. I will edit out the note of it now that it’s fixed. I have a Novel Theory now, I just need to know whether Biology is a valid Tree or if that is too broad.

Yep, that works. Science is your tree, Biology is your specialty. The tree thing is only for the Academics skill, since Academics was a bit broad of a category.

Also, for your theory, well, this isn't a new planet we're going too. This is merely an unexplored disputed territory on a world that is currently in the 1900-ish technology level. Think after the civil war but just before the World War, in terms of technology...

- Charles Babbage

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm confused.  Is this game an instance of Mafia? Or does the "Mafia" in the name have another meaning?  Why is this in this main forum and not the Mafia sub-forum?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hold on. How does Academics work if a class that doesn't have the trees gets points in it?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Alright, just replaced on a new planet with in the new territory, it should be lore compatible now))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:35:34 pm by Naturegirl1999 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4