Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [?/16] - Beyond the Ridge - Civbuilding, economics, politics, and backstabbing  (Read 5127 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm confused.  Is this game an instance of Mafia? Or does the "Mafia" in the name have another meaning?  Why is this in this main forum and not the Mafia sub-forum?

It's not mafia, just has a mafia aspect to it. I can remove that from the title if it confused people.

Hold on. How does Academics work if a class that doesn't have the trees gets points in it?

I might need to really do better at explaining the specialty / tree system.

Basically, if you have a skill point in a skill, you get a specialty. Academics is so broad it has.. trees, which are like broad specialties for the narrower branches you can choose. If you have one point in Academics, you get a tree and specialty.

I also added a lore section, since I realized that the only place in the OP with background about the game was the Communications section.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

Okay... I don't see the flaw, but what did I do wrong now?
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay... I don't see the flaw, but what did I do wrong now?

Alright, so all 3 of your skills aside from Academics need a specialization. Specialization is per skill, not per character. You have one specialty for each skill.

Aside from that it looks good, but you used 10 points instead of 6. The skills/stats under the x5 Followers part of the role is what skills/stats your followers start with, not what you get.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought only academics used specialties? I don't understand what you mean by the followers part of the application, and I don't see where the additional 4 points went. I just got all the things from the role and then bought two skills at 1 point each and two more stat points at 2 points each. okay, now I see what you were trying to say with the role thing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:06:37 am by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. NOW what's wrong with it?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks good! Although I'm not quite sure what the "specialization: bureaucracy" thing at the top is supposed to be, maybe you left that in there.
- Charles Babbage

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was led to believe that a specialization was a character specific thing and not a skill specific thing, and was not corrected about that until now.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I've added you to the list. I've re-written the skill rules a couple times as a result of the confusion, so hopefully others don't have the same issues. Lemme know if the new way it's written clears things up or if there's anything you think I should add.

Other than that, I'm gonna probably hop off for the night. I think I've gotten the rules cleaned up quite a bit as a result of these first few signups, which is great.

All that's left to do I think is add some basic weapon examples, and rules for how custom weapons work, surplus gear, armor, quality, etc. factors into play. Will do that tomorrow.
- Charles Babbage

Hotfire90

Joining the Solonian Confederation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Joining the Solonian Confederation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Added!
- Charles Babbage

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks fantastic! PTW for now, might make a character later.

I suggest you move the skill descriptions from the "Roles" section to "Stats/Skills" as they're missing from the latter, and the current arrangement gives a fleeting impression that skills are restricted to specific roles.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

This looks fantastic! PTW for now, might make a character later.

I suggest you move the skill descriptions from the "Roles" section to "Stats/Skills" as they're missing from the latter, and the current arrangement gives a fleeting impression that skills are restricted to specific roles.
he mentioned there are 15 skills, as there are 15 roles, but the skills aren’t locked to roles, just placed there for symmetry, but I agree, having them be in a Skills list below the roles list, rather than part of the roles list, while taking more room, will make things less confusing

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's where they were originally but they had to be moved due to character limit. Ill have to get them there eventually but that would involve migrating a lot of text from post to post. Not a huge issue.

Id like to have at least 8 total (4 on each side) to begin, but I can also do with 6 depending on how many people join up. 6 is probably gonna have to be the absolute least, however, due to the fact 2 people on a team makes it obvious who the baddy is.  :D

Ill give it a few more days, as I have to work on the rules a bit and get some python scripts written. Right now the sections I need are: Leadership and Tactics, Detection and Enforcement, and Weapons Examples.

I had planned to leave explaining concepts to the dedicated roles but I think having at least a basic overview of each system there to look at is a good idea.
- Charles Babbage

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, got busy with work, but also need more players to start this.

I think we have 4? So if the 2 PTW people are interested in joining, could start this up. Also depends though on whether or not others join or if the currently signed up players are still interested.

Well, anyways, I have a few more... less ambitious ideas for forum roleplaying games, anyhow. But I'm definitely gonna try to start and get one to actually run, at least.

..heh.
- Charles Babbage

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I’m still interested
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4