Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfs not equiping high boots  (Read 6085 times)

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs not equiping high boots
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:10:03 pm »

First time playing in quite a while, game isn't modded.  I set my troops up to have full sets of copper armor which they have equiped excluding the boots, my armor stockpile is full of unforbidden copper high boots.  I have it set specifically to copper armor (and copper high boots) in the uniform screen and it shows all of them having the green check marks next to the boots.  They pretty much all have their civilian shoes on.  Can anyone help?

They are wearing Helm, BP, mail, gauntlet, greaves, high boots (well not really).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs not equiping high boots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:26:02 am »

Equipping armor is bugged right now. Your best bet is to assign specific boots to each dwarf.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:47:47 pm »

Station squad overtop an armor stockpile, or near it. Make a new uniform. Use "over clothing and exact, 1 wpn, 1 shield, no drinks and no food." With copper gear, thats it. This maybe a wt issue. Then toggle/change the squad's(for all soldiers) uniform, it should spark an immediate redress. ALWAYS use overclothing and exact with this release. 47.04 If not ya run the risk(bad bug in raid) of a soldier putting on something from another civ, when raiding, to fill up an empty eq slot from a selfish desire from a personality quark. Ya can do whatever ya want with your squads not leaving the embark map, however.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:58:24 pm »

Station squad overtop an armor stockpile, or near it. Make a new uniform. Use "over clothing and exact, 1 wpn, 1 shield, no drinks and no food." With copper gear, thats it. This maybe a wt issue. Then toggle/change the squad's(for all soldiers) uniform, it should spark an immediate redress. ALWAYS use overclothing and exact with this release. 47.04 If not ya run the risk(bad bug in raid) of a soldier putting on something from another civ, when raiding, to fill up an empty eq slot from a selfish desire from a personality quark. Ya can do whatever ya want with your squads not leaving the embark map, however.
Nope. I've had two fortresses equipment corrupted without anyone returning (one, I think, misfit kicked out from each, but no "real" raids or missions). The first one had hordes of bugged performance troupe members "returning", so I thought accepting those petitions was the cause, but the second one hasn't accepted any performance troupe petitions. Lots of dead visitors, though, as well as some petitions from "normal" performers and scholars accepted.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:09:31 pm »

So Patrik, is your formula to avoid corruption 1) no missions 2) no visitors?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 02:00:55 am »

So Patrik, is your formula to avoid corruption 1) no missions 2) no visitors?
No, although no visitors might in fact do it (on top of no missions). My current position is that the only way is frequent backups and frequent checks for signs of corruption. I've lost my current fortress once to corruption, but happened to have a copy 9 months earlier (I was trying out various strategies for a problem, and so made a copy to copy retries from). I've also had a loss to save corruption (stuck on loading using up all memory the first time, crashing on load on the following attempts, all of the problems while loading crimes [which I don't have in the fortress]), however, I'd started a yearly save copy backup at that point.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 06:20:08 am »

I had the same problem, my military dwarves would not replace their socks + shoes with their assigned metal high boots.

Setting their uniform to replace civilian clothing instead of wearing it over solved the problem. (you can switch this with m-e-r)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 09:18:48 am »

I had the same problem, my military dwarves would not replace their socks + shoes with their assigned metal high boots.

Setting their uniform to replace civilian clothing instead of wearing it over solved the problem. (you can switch this with m-e-r)
I always replace civilian clothing, too. Clothing wears out so fast, and dwarves are always switching it around every time they can grab a kenaf dress or a jute thong off a dead elf. One of my consistent errors in DF is forgetting that that setting is attached to the squad and not the uniform.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 05:29:12 am »

Am I alone in thinking that copper armor is terrible and you should never use it? 

Seriously bronze is much better as a cheap starter armor.  Am I wrong?  It takes a slight amount more effort to generate but you can actually embark with cassiterite and tetrahedrite, immediately start making bronze, and even have some silver left over if you go the bars route, and you can even actually bring some bismuthinite too and make bismuth bronze, one of my favorite metals.

Still even without doing that, just bring cassiterite, tetrahedrite, start with bronze armor and weapons.  It kills anything you meet early in the game.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 09:54:52 am »

Am I alone in thinking that copper armor is terrible and you should never use it? 

Sometimes you don't have tin, and copper is better than leather. Also, with excess copper you can train up armorsmiths and make something valuable to sell.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 10:58:52 am »

My starting uniform looks something like this. Keep in mind, I cheat. dfHack:add-recipe. Overclothes. Exact.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 05:03:20 pm »

Sometimes you don't have tin, and copper is better than leather. Also, with excess copper you can train up armorsmiths and make something valuable to sell.
I usually try to train armor smiths on copper as well, melting down anything but masterworks, which might either be used (until better equipment is acquired), or sold.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 06:49:06 pm »

I suppose that's a form of "using" it but I meant as actual armor.  I think it's so bad that it isn't even worth the weight of carrying it.  As bad as leather is it at least doesn't slow you down.  I suppose it's reasonable for crushing weapons, even then I prefer to use the silver from tetrahedrite for those, and use the copper for export items.

Also is cassiterite ever not available on the embark menu?  I always bring small amounts (or large amounts) of my favorite ores, which generally include cassiterite, tetrahedrite and bismuthinite, because while useful, many embark locations either don't have any or have pitifully small amounts way, way down.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 03:16:15 am »

Yes, silver is better for crushing weapons, if you have silver (and silver can't be used for armor anyway). Armor slowdown ceases to become an issue once dorfs have trained the armor use skill sufficiently, which means leather armor may well be more suitable than "better" armor for recruits. Once the armor use has been trained, however, more protective armor is better.

The ores available at embark depends on the ores available to the civ, which depends on the ores in the vicinity of the civ's starting fortress (i.e. the geo biomes in that vicinity). You can shop around by doing careful embarks with each dwarven civ available at embark to see what they can provide, backing out after checking (or continuing if what you see is good enough for you).

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:48 pm »

Thanks for the responses, ill try the replace clothing instead.  I don't believe i had access to tin hense the copper ;p.
Pages: [1] 2