Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [Castle Motors: COMPLETE!]  (Read 59927 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1992: More Huge Factories]
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2020, 11:18:49 pm »

So I promised myself I would wait for those engine technologies before asking for a new engine...

In this earlier post it was hypothesized that Alpaca Mk2 wasn't improving on Old Alpaca's attractiveness because our Waterwheel engine isn't up to the extra weight of the new body. If that's the case, would bumping up to an I6 engine help any? It wouldn't be quite as fuel efficient but it might move faster than most snails. And I have a similar idea/concern that the Hauler may be underpowered for its delivery role; for one reason or another desirability and sales never seem to be as good as our other models get out of similar design predictions. I may be on the wrong track, but it's one lever to play with. (Assuming an I6 fits, the screens I see look like there's plenty of empty space but that's not necessarily indicative of the bounding box compartment.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:20:28 pm by mightymushroom »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2020, 07:53:45 am »

We should fund more R&D so we can build future cars now!

Also its probably time for Alpaca and Hauler MK3.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2020, 08:04:32 am »

The rapture should be able to make a fine track car if you just remove some extra weight and give it a sportier tune, however to go after those utility markets I do think we'd need a new model unless the colossus has a good pickup version of the body.

The utility markets with the exception of utility sport premium will probably prefer a cheaper, smaller and less powerful engine than the our "Bay12 Liter", but most of the changes needed to be made to the rapture should have fairly low engineering times so you'd be able to just shit out an early facelift.

I will have to vote against mighty mushroom's suggestion about looking into an I6, they're just too long for most modern car bodies. we could consider an I5 because they sound cool to make use of the engineering familiarity from the bay12-liter, but in terms of packaging a 60 degree V6 is probably our best bet for fitting more cylinders and capacity without increased service costs from the engine bay being cramped.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2020, 10:58:31 am »

I'd forgotten that the I5 exists. That would probably be closer to what I'm thinking of: just a little bit more oomph, while still making all the "correct" fuel economy choices to appease the segment.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2020, 12:05:20 pm »

I'd forgotten that the I5 exists. That would probably be closer to what I'm thinking of: just a little bit more oomph, while still making all the "correct" fuel economy choices to appease the segment.

Honestly with an I5 we'd probably end up making less power than if we went for an I4 because the I4 would be able to have a higher displacement before getting into issues with length and since it's an economy car we would be using a lower cam setting and a quick spooling turbo so it wouldn't benefit much from high rev capability, I'm still not against it, I just don't think it's really what you're looking for. The V6 has good packaging which will help with getting us a higher displacement engine and plenty of cylinders so the engine isn't stressed by that increase in displacement and a larger.

...Put this post down as Half a vote for I4, 0.375 vote(s) for V6(60 degree), and 0.125 vote(s) for I5

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2020, 01:15:16 pm »

Fair points. You've talked me into trying a V6, for comparison purposes.

I started from the idea that this round of tech needs new engine designs to use, therefore this is a good time to try different options if Sensei will indulge us (me). Which option(s) to try was not well thought out, so the criticism is appreciated.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2020, 01:39:31 pm »

What size is our Pumpstack? V8?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2020, 03:25:16 pm »

What size is our Pumpstack? V8?
It's a 3.5L V8, so it's small as V8's go.

Honestly with an I5 we'd probably end up making less power than if we went for an I4 because the I4 would be able to have a higher displacement before getting into issues with length and since it's an economy car we would be using a lower cam setting and a quick spooling turbo so it wouldn't benefit much from high rev capability, I'm still not against it, I just don't think it's really what you're looking for. The V6 has good packaging which will help with getting us a higher displacement engine and plenty of cylinders so the engine isn't stressed by that increase in displacement and a larger.

...Put this post down as Half a vote for I4, 0.375 vote(s) for V6(60 degree), and 0.125 vote(s) for I5
I've never made an I5 in Automation. They tend to be less smooth, I think, but mainly just because you unlock them so late. We've made a V10 so we should have some familiarity, but honestly a larger I4 is probably the better option. I can look at a V6, but in my experience, Automation just does not like them.

The rapture should be able to make a fine track car if you just remove some extra weight and give it a sportier tune, however to go after those utility markets I do think we'd need a new model unless the colossus has a good pickup version of the body.

The utility markets with the exception of utility sport premium will probably prefer a cheaper, smaller and less powerful engine than the our "Bay12 Liter", but most of the changes needed to be made to the rapture should have fairly low engineering times so you'd be able to just shit out an early facelift.

I will have to vote against mighty mushroom's suggestion about looking into an I6, they're just too long for most modern car bodies. we could consider an I5 because they sound cool to make use of the engineering familiarity from the bay12-liter, but in terms of packaging a 60 degree V6 is probably our best bet for fitting more cylinders and capacity without increased service costs from the engine bay being cramped.
You're right about needing a new model to really go after Utility. In my experience, they like extended cabs (4-door, or at least 2 seat rows) best, because they value practicality highly. I don't know if a bigger engine will help. They usually like fuel efficiency so much that actually giving them a bigger engine doesn't help like you might think, but I've been completely wrong about stuff like Muscle so we can try it. Supposedly the tow capacity calculation is bad and needs a rework, which contributes to this.

1992 Prototypes, Round 1
It sounds like the BIG thing we want is a new engine. My instincts tell me a slightly-larger-again I4 is probably the way to go. Of course we need a car to test it in too, is the tricky part. If I test it only in the Alpaca I might skew towards a smaller engine with less horsepower than a new, slightly larger model might like. If I test it in a new model it's subject to all kinds of other stuff. So, I'm going to start out in a new model and also see what happens when I stuff it in the Alpaca.

The Alpaca is a 2.7m, so I'm trying the 1995 2.6m body. The latest Alpaca weighs just under 2500lb and this thing weighs 2927 at a quick first tune, I assume the extra 400lb is just due to width. Also right off the bat, price seems to be an issue, they like the vehicle with smaller-than-optimal brakes. Wait... gotta take Archana out. Also, it has some new high-tech stuff like Multilink rear suspension and a 5-speed automatic. With the Waterwheel engine, we're looking at 145 in Family and Family Utility before any fine-tuning.

Okay... engine test candidate 1, an I4. Tweaking the size until Family likes it the most, I end up at 1.5L yet again. I guess this is just a consequence of optimizing for Family (rather than say, a mix between Family and Family Premium). This version has VVL and DI, making it very high tech but the DI is expensive and has to be -8 quality. I think this tech might just be too advanced for us right now, because basically no matter how I tune this engine, I can't seem to beat the Waterwheel in terms of fuel efficiency.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, that also comes with some counter-intuitive tuning from following the market score. We now have two cam profiles from VVL. The low RPM one is set at absolute 0, which gives the most efficiency at idle. This reduces the overall fuel efficiency rating of the engine, but maybe that doesn't correlate exactly with the car's actual gas mileage. We also have a rather high second cam, giving us our high RPM power and efficiency. This naturally led to increasing the bottom end quality to 0 so I could rev the engine higher and take advantage of that. Increasing the DI quality would help efficiency a lot but be too expensive. But, even with 0 quality I can't match the Waterwheel.

So, next I'm trying the same I4 engine with MFI. The DI was causing some weird stuff due to its expense and low quality, so now I can explore the VVL a little more. That's the only feature that literally requires a new engine anyway, DI just has long engineering. I learned a couple things about VVL tuning: for example, reducing the higher cam can actually prevent knock, because it causes the engine to switch cams at a lower RPM, so the low cam isn't being used at a high RPM where it will knock. Also, without running right up against engine knock, I was able to re-tune the turbo which helped a lot (I was using a too-large turbo in the last engine). I also ran into a weird situation where increasing the exhaust size seems to give a huge increase in fuel efficiency on the graph, but reduces the car's actual gas mileage by 0.1 so they don't like it.

Then I realized I made a stupid mistake: I forgot to use Low Friction Cast pistons instead of regular cast. With that and a few more tweaks, we finally had an engine that was more efficient than the Waterwheel, as well as being more powerful. What's more, for the new car, it scores 151 in Family versus 142 with the Waterwheel. I could maybe make more tweaks to optimize the car from here, but since I'm using it as an engine test bed I'm going to basically keep it where it is.

Next: I5 I think V6 is what people are most interested in, but I'll get on with this one first. We're still targeting Family instead of Family Premium or anything, so fuel efficiency is still the big thing. Will they like more displacement? Will they like a similar displacement with smaller cylinder sizes?

At a glance, using the same bore and stroke gets us a 1.8L engine. We could fit an I6 still, but compared that, this I5 has basically no engine bay fill penalty at all, much like the I4. After tuning it, I ended up with a 1.7L and a Family score of almost 149. It only does about 1 point better in Family Premium and Premium Budget (the car itself isn't optimized for these of course). I had hoped to see bigger gains there. Still, an engine of this format might have potential if we want to actually target these markets on purpose, it's actually smoother than an I4, which I thought would be the other way around.
What might be the worst part of this compared to the I4 is the added weight and expense. The power also requires wider tires (and I'm told power adds weight to the drivetrain, because it has to be built stronger as well). Despite more thermal efficiency, the cars loses about 1 mile per gallon changing to the I5.

How about the V6? In my experience, Automation hates V6, but I'll be excited if I'm proven wrong. I also won't rule out that I might just be bad at tuning them for some reason. Like with the I5, I'm going with MFI and VVL. However, I definitely can't just use the other engines as a frame of reference for things like turbo size.

Right off the bat, we're at 2.1L and no more power than the I5 for some reason. What's more (and I can't blame wheelspin either, seemingly) the market scores are steering me towards a small exhaust that would make even less power than the I5. I'm ignoring that for now. Sizing the turbo is a little weird since only a twin-turbo can be done for V engines, so we have 3 cylinders per turbo instead of four, making them smaller, and I'm running into the minimum size. I worked out the exhaust and turbo to have similar flow restrictions to the I5. These numbers might be red, but that only means we're not making maximum power- this is normal when an engine is tuned to be fuel efficient and quiet.

What I don't understand is why it's less efficient, and it's not making more power despite being larger. (Technically, it makes more at the low end and drops off at the high end, to be fair). With single or dual exhaust, I can't extract more power without it being louder and I still have market scores steering me towards an even more cramped exhaust for who knows why. Compared to the I5, this is just worse. And, yes, I made sure I'm using low friction pistons.
I played around a little more. By opening up the exhaust and turbo, I can get the high-end efficiency to match the I5, while making more power. However, I'm still missing low end efficiency (the turbos seem to spool later?) and it's too loud, so the markets don't actually like that. I also tried sizing it way down to 1.8L, which helped but still didn't beat the I5 or I4. Plus, the V6 is of course more expensive.

All in all, I still think V6 is cursed.

What about putting these engines in the Alpaca?
The baseline Family score for the Alpaca seems to be 144. It started at 158 when I created a new facelift then immediately dropped to 144 when I entered the designer, so that's weird. It does put our new car prototype in a much better light, though. It also got up to 150 with the new VVL-using I4, so we know that's a definite improvement. For reference I'll include the entire market screens, so we can see what effects the engines are having on different markets. Each version has brief gearing, tire and suspension tuning for the new engine, but might not be totally optimized.
Spoiler: Waterwheel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: I4 Prototype (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: I5 Prototype (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: V6 Prototype (click to show/hide)

Overall, the I4 seems to be the strongest, but the I5 has some advantages as well. It scores better in Family Sport, and it actually gets better gas mileage. Its possible that its cost will be offset by a Huge factory, making it more appealing than we see here. I dunno, it's hard to estimate for.

New Models? Nothing's got votes besides Aseaheru's original proposals, since we all got caught up talking about engines, but I can check a couple out. First off: can the '01 2.5m make a good GT car?

Yup! This version is longitudinal AWD with a Baron V8, hardtop, Luxury interior. It can also be a Convertible Sport, and it does excellent in Sport when downgraded to a Premium interior, (both to the tune of 190 score) but since we're actually hitting those demographics with the Rapture, this would probably be the version we would focus on. It has 2 seat rows, so it does FAR better in GT/GTP than the Rapture or LMP can. It might be even better with fancy active suspension, but I didn't try that out.

Hauler Mk3? At a glance, that body seems to do fine, but it doesn't seem to be a big leap forward or anything so I didn't finish tuning it. It seemed like it was going to take a while to get right.

Bigger offroad? I actually don't know about this one, our best luck seems to be small stuff. It will need an engine variant too, so that's another one I'll mostly just look into if I get more votes.

Sorry for the long delay, stuff's been busy! It looks like we need to decide whether to go fully ahead with replacing the Alpaca or not, and either way, which new engine to focus on. VVL is a big benefit that could affect most of our cars. If I don't receive votes, I'll probably take the most neutral option, an Alpaca with the new I4. We're also on track to move the Hauler into a huge factory and, IDK, maybe the Minecart too, unless we want to double up on Alpaca production.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1992: Engine Prototypes]
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:17 am »

Alpaca with the I4 sounds like the best and I don't think there is a need to double down on production of those.

Also making our own GT car sounds like it might be a good investment maybe.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2020, 07:00:25 am »

Agree on the Alpaca with new I4.

I like the the proposed GT, assuming we use it as a knowledge platform for our expensive engine technologies.
In that case it may be reasonable to do a clean sweep, with sports and convertible trims to replace the Rapture and/or LMP. They're fine vehicles, but I seem to recall a mention that their limited seating is hurting somewhat in their native categories, too, and progress is marching on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2020, 01:00:15 pm »

So, new I4 as replacement fer existing I4, get the GT going, van upgrade sounds like its gonna be fine, once the GT is done use it as the basis fer convertables/sports?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:20 am »

1992 and Onward

Looks like that's 3 votes out of 3 for the GT car. I have no choice! We really might have to replace our existing sports cars or make them more specialized into different markets though. We're actually close to market saturation. Look at the markets:

On top, we have our current sales, and the percentage of the market we sell to (limited to Awareness) on the bottom, we have Awareness. It looks like we're close to awareness cap with our current dealerships (85% in our most lucrative countries I think) and we're selling to ~85% of customers already. That basically means we only have around 300 customers in both of these categories who aren't already buying our cars. The Rapture and LMP do score better than our GT prototype in categories like Sports, so it's not totally worth replacing them, I think.

What I'm going to do for now, is just go ahead and produce our new GT car in a Medium 3 factory or whatever. I might skew it towards higher priced markets with some fancy new tech and good interior. We will probably, I think, suffer from market saturation. But, I'd like to actually see that happen. From there I can decide if we want to make our existing cars occupy different budget categories or what. Part of the reason I want to try this is curiosity, but also remember we're technically playing for the high score. If our cars are, say, forced to reduce in price until we start selling to budget categories because there are so many of them, we're still selling MORE cars, even though we might make less money, it's better for score. Right now, we have more money than god, so we can try something inefficient like this.

For lack of a name, I'm calling our new car the Bay 12 GT. It almost sounds like an actual car name, despite just being our company named followed by a target demographic. I've made some final tweaks: first of all, it gets all the fancy computer-adjusted suspension bits. We're in the 90's now, I have a gameboy in my pocket, and my car has a bunch of different computer systems under the hood. This gets us up to 192 in GT, a big boost, but at the cost of markets like Sport who would prefer a cheaper car. That's okay, GT is a more expensive market and we want to specialize on that.

I also thought I'd try ESC while we're at it. It's another fancy computer thing that brakes individual wheels to keep the car under control. I always thought it would be cool if you could control this manually with a joystick or something, but for some reason nobody else thinks it's a good idea. This came with a base engineering time of 100 months so I had to dump the quality to get that under control.

I also looked at aero features. They seem to have no interest in fancy cooling flaps or active wings (I never seem to know when a car DOES need these, but it's not often) or any downforce features. I assume this is because they decrease the top speed or add expense. They also don't like undercladding because it increases the top speed above 187MPH/300KPH into an astronomically expensive tire speed rating category. If I combine the two, so we have downforce and the same top speed as before... they still don't like it. Notably, this body has good aero to begin with. Most cars (without aero features) produce a lot more lift than this at high speed.

I finished it off with lower profile tires, on sport compound, and some gearing adjustments that got the 0-60 time under 6 seconds. I also tried out a white paint color, since someone suggested that ages ago and I just signed off the LMP and autosaved before I could implement it. Fun fact: GT doesn't mind a manual locking diff, apparently. Well, assuming you leave Archana turned on in the market screen. "Yeah, my Porsche is stuck in a ditch, but I'll just lock the hubs in and get out". I didn't put that in the car though. I did, however, put exhaust bypass valves on the Pumpstack V8. Hopefully the other cars like that because I can't be bothered to make an engine variant.

I set it up in a Medium 3 factory and skewed the engineering to low automation, low reliability, extra funding and a little lower pressure to gain familiarity with the new tech. I wish I could see how much familiarity I'm going to gain- there's a "current familiarity" column on the engineering screen that changes when I change the pressure, but I don't know if that's supposed be familiarity when I'm done or what. It will make about 3500 cars, so we'll see what it does on the market where there are fewer total GT customers than that. Also, apparently the exhaust bypass valves will take two years to engineer on the Pumpstack V8. I assume that's because any change causes a big issue when your automation slider is at 93. Come to think of it, I'll probably need a second Pumpstack V8 factory.

Lastly, I the sales projection guided me to a minimum price of $39k, at a 75% margin. Not coincidentally, this is the starting budget of GT demographic. It looks like I need to be affordable to every single GT customer. I wonder what the margin will do in the wild.

The Other Pumpstack Cars! As usual, now I have to update everything else! Oh wait, I accidentally hit spacebar(?) on the hub screen and jumped forward in time a bit. I'm living dangerously with autosaves here, so we're stuck without because I don't want to redesign the GT. For once I'm thankful to be stopped by a recall notice!

While it's a drop in the bucket practically speaking, it still stings to pay out $100M.

So, uh, it's 1993 now I guess. Somehow (time passes on the market screen?) I managed to skip a whole year. Oops. Well, uh, I guess that means it's time to...

Unveil the Colossus!

The Colossus is above 100 Competitiveness and the margin is relatively low, at 41%, and the factory is running at 90% usage. Admittedly, that's fairly realistic, but I like to make stupidly huge margins, not realistic ones! Until the 4.1 update at least. So, it has probably saturated its markets or it can't be any pricier while still hitting its target markets. We're only selling to 50% of possible Muscle customers, so I'm guessing it's having to strike a balance between high margins and being affordable to enough customers.

Anyway, I'm just proud that our absurd car is actually selling. Why not celebrate with a facelift?

Our "The 12" engine gets a little more compression and hey, why not exhaust bypass valves? I'm told how these work is, they let the engine operate at whatever loudness it has normally but exactly 40 Loudness, the ideal for a "Sportiness" modifier, at wide open throttle. This gives the best of both words for loudness modifiers to comfort/sportiness. In practice, they seem to make the engine slightly worse in every way, somehow hurting power and gas mileage despite just being an exhaust thing that opens up, but they gain a little competitiveness so in they go I guess. I can see that ESC has the potential to add a few points, but I want to keep this cheap so I'm waiting until it's cheaper to engineer. It also gets semi-active sway bars, however those work, because they like them I guess. Because material costs are significant, I increased the Optimization. Hopefully the facelift will make it cheaper.

Now, it's back to updating everything in lock-step.

The Pumpstack Cars
The Bay 12 GT's updates to the Pumpstack V8 will take 28 months, possible longer if I have to build a factory. But, I'm going to start off just targeting 28 months. I promised myself I'd keep this short instead of explaining every detail so I'm trying my best.

The Rapture: Okay, so apparently The 12 fits in here. And, it somehow scores a little higher than The Colossus in Muscle even without proper tuning.

Okay okay, back on task, that's not what we're doing today! Putting the slightly updated Pumpstack back in, it gets a 5-speed auto transmission instead of the old 4-speed. It's also getting very low profile tires, which seems to be a trend. I think that as the years go on, we can get lower and lower profile tires without a price penalty, and that's what sporty demographics like. It also gets all the fancy suspension computer thingies, and still no aero undercladding, since nobody likes that apparently. Then, I just repeat those changes for the hard-top trim. Voila, nice looking numbers!

Then, engineering time for the suspension is huge, so ixnay on that. We lose a few points, but that's okay, I guess I want to rapture to occupy cheaper markets compared to the GT anyway. I ended up engineering it with Reliability and Optimization. The preview number for the convertible has automatically changed to the Sport Convertible Budget market in this shot, they love that stuff.

The LMP: It gets a tick of quality for the interior now that Luxury CDs have come down in price, and a gearing tweak for the new engine (5 speed upgrade again). In the name of more narrowly targeting Super/Hyper, it's getting the fancy suspension as well as ESC. This brings the engineering to 35 months even with very aggressive sliders including lower automation. However, the factory refresh will take 10 months for new Major Tooling, so it at least overlaps with the 28 month deadline and we can avoid having the factory sit idle. This does remind me we could probably do a "proper" super car with a faster engine, though.

This all means the Pumpstack factory is going to be overworked. There's no avoiding a second factory.

I want to make a Medium 3, because why bother with half measures... but it will take 37 months. Of course, I can't just have the Pumpstack 1993 version start production in the first factory before the second factory is done, that would make too much sense, especially since the GT car won't be ready to consume those engines until later anyway. So, eh, smaller factory. Medium 2 gets us down to 30 months.

Then, it's back to the Rapture to use up the remaining 2 months of engineering, and sign off.

The I4 cars:

Now we have another big engineering conundrum! I want to use the new I4 engine we've designed. I also want to get our cars into the Huge factories which are sitting idle as soon as possible, while the new engine is going to take around 5 years if I don't make the engineering sliders horrible.

The most efficient thing by far would be to do a short-term revision now, engineer the engine in the background and then add the new engine once the factories are already up and running. But, that adds a facelift to four separate models. I'm going to save myself the effort and just make our next facelift the one with the new engine.

Also related to laziness, instead of stopping and asking for a name, I'm going to tentatively name our new I4. We started off with the Windmill and then upgraded to the Waterwheel, two ways to generate mechanical power in Dwarf Fortress, the second more powerful than the first. But, what's more powerful than that? Well, the Dwarven Water Reactor, a long standing bug/feature which generates perpetual energy. So, I'm calling our new engine the Reactor unless people vote to change it. What better name for our engine with an amazing, uh, 80 horsepower?

The Alpaca: we covered this with the Reactor before, but I didn't do the fine tuning. I increased the wheels to 15 inches and fit bigger brakes. I also gave it a 5-speed transmission, which is becoming ubiquitous. A few suspension tweaks, and we've hit a score that matches our new model prototype.
Man, the Alpaca really has legs. Also, we seem to not be having absurd safety engineering. Making this facelift take as long as the engine design means I can really go nuts with the sliders.

Oh yeah, incidentally, I'm aiming for 57 months to engineer the Reactor. That's all sliders at 50, except Funding which is 99, costing us $150M or something petty.

The Migrant: Reactor, 5-speed, no fancy features because Offroad doesn't wanna pay for 'em! Until we unlock Offroad Sway Bars (whatever those are) basically none of the fancy new suspension things benefit these markets. I got some good numbers, and once again I went crazy with the sliders, especially Reliability.

The Hauler Mk2: For the Delivery variant, its gets the new 5-speed, and it gets geared for a lot of wheelspin. I guess it's fine if the back is full of stuff. The numbers we're seeing are getting astronomical for the delivery markets.

For the passenger variant- well, first off I'm impressed to see a score in Family of 156, greater even than the Alpaca. That's just after changing the engine. The only other particular change is that it had traction control at -2 quality before, that's going up to 0. Tuning the transmission and suspension further gets us these scores:
It looks like the added horsepower was a big benefit for the large Hauler. This definitely can get a Huge factory. For now it also keeps its Large 2 factory because, I don't know what else to put in there. That could be a good candidate for Utility vehicles later though.

The New Minecart: This one is still cursed, and not producing any cars cat all. Let's just imagine the workers have been on strike or whatever. I'm pretty sure what actually happened is the price just hit a critical point where it broke. Hopefully, this facelift should fix it. Anyway, it gets the usual: Reactor, 5-speed. This also gets lower profile tires- just a little, to offset the heavier engine making it more prone to understeer. Plus, for once, someone finally wants a fully clad underbody in the aero screen! This helps with fuel efficiency. I mean, it always did, but now they decided they're willing to pay up for the privilege I guess, compared to before when they wouldn't. It also gets reduced cooling airflow, so it can get more gas mileage by diverting less air into not overheating. Lastly, good variable hydraulic power steering is replaced with cheap, nasty electric power steering. When it's all done, we've got a new record of 51 miles per gallon. Huzzah! The New Minecart returns!

This car can also get a Huge factory. It should be cheap enough to really sell to Passenger Fleet.

This is almost enough to use up the three Huge factories making Reactor engines. In fact, I was going to just leave a Large 1 engine factory idle and do all the production at Huge scale for optimum prices, but it looks like I'll need that factory too.

The Noble

The only car using the Noble V8 is still the, uh, Noble. First the engine: as usual, our fuel tech is a little better, so it gets a hair more compression and boost. I also looked at exhaust bypass valves- they really hate them. If bypass valves avoid a loudness penalty for comfort, then uh... nah, I have no idea how this works. They DO like a little steeper cam (I feel like I'm just going back and forth on this with this engine) and VVT makes it slightly more affordable because of fuel efficiency, so why not put it in. The car itself gets, you guess it, a 5-speed transmission. Now, I don't know what changed, but when I get to the handling graph, it's gone a little screwy. Something must have got lighter or heavier to shift the weight distribution.
Adding a little front swaybar fixed it. I also upgraded to 18 inch wheels and bigger brakes, as well as a CD player. That brings the Premium trim to 186 in its target. The DeLuxe was already running 18 inch wheels, but it gets a similar transmission upgrade. It seems that I had it geared very long to reduce wheelspin, but our tires have improved or something, so this version is geared much shorter for better acceleration and still has no wheelspin. Both the Premium and DeLuxe are running Hydropneumatic suspension, which prevents the installation of any fancy active bits except for the semi-active swaybars.

Engineering for the Noble, I came up with 31 months for the upgrade. I also found that the Noble V8 had been set to 93 Automation from when I was trying to make enough with only one factory. This was so high that I actually gained production by reducing it (efficiency losses from lower-automation factories).

Moving Onward!

Once again there's a ton of crap engineering at different times. The main block is our Reactor-based economy vehicles, in 57 months. The Bay 12 GT finishes just one month later.

Since we're making so much money, I basically may as well spend it. I'm starting two sets of Huge factories. What are they for? I dunno. They're basically a tax write-off for us though. The total cost of these is, I dunno, 20 billion dollars? We have 12 billion in the bank and we're bringing in 1 billion per month, we should be fine.
This is basically the stage in world generation where mountainhomes pop up everywhere.

Also, why not spend some money on R&D? I've about tripled our spending.

Two months later, we're still well in the green. I don't really want to build more Huge factories because then I have to figure out what to do with them. So, I chucked another $150M/month into the R&D machine (not shown, but it was basically just +1 to body, chassis and fuel) and figured why not see what it costs to max out our dealerships? Well, a lot. Here's Gasmea:

See that? $576 million per month for level 10. That would give us 95% Awareness, the absolute maximum. Level 9 costs $176M. We're not QUITE at that level of throwing away money yet, so I set every country to level 9 except Dalluha. Dalluha is very expensive to set up dealers in relative to their market size, so I kept them at level 8. This sucked up another half a billion dollars (per month!) leaving us with "only" $300M per month income.

This is our expenses as of April, 1994. Ignore the bit on the right of the graph, it's a future projection that's missing the important parts.
Spoiler: Large! (click to show/hide)
You can see we're now spending more on dealerships than research. Tax payments are also considerable.

Colossus facelift! It's selling well, and at crazy margins. I'm not sure if this is just because our costs are "lower" because they don't include the huge first tooling price though. What is for sure is the factory is working full time.

In 1996, we finally start losing money for a few months while the Noble and Pumpstack vehicles all go into retooling. We're still 16 billion in the black though. When those cars all finished, I took a minute trying to figure out what is selling where, but I decided to just save that for the end of the post because it's getting a little confusing. Anyway, later on in 1996 all our Waterwheel/Reactor cars start retooling, so we lose some more money. We post a loss for the year... which means no taxes, yeah!

During 1998, we start losing more than a billion per month as we retool several Huge factories at once. We actually hit negative money (just barely) before all our new vehicles come out. However, we made it! We make a billion in profits for a few months, though our revenue tapers off a little bit.

December, 1998 Review
We're getting close to the end game! Only about 21 years left. We're only going to have a few more chances to introduce new models for Bay 12 Motors, anything that releases too close to 2020 will be more for seeing what we can make than for actual sales numbers. Speaking of seeing what we can make, we managed to actually sell a car with a 12 liter engine, so that's pretty cool.
Spoiler: Hub Screen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Revenues (click to show/hide)
We're continuing to bring in tons of money. I'll get into the details of each model in a bit, but this second picture gives us a quick idea of the relative income of each of our car models. You can see it's sliding off pretty fast compared to when everything released a few months ago. I think this just usually happens, of course a facelift will probably help, especially for the Reactor engine which has all engineering sliders at 50. Now that we've got more Huge factories running, the Hauler Mk2 is now our biggest earner, having surpassed the Alpaca! Our smallest earner is (and has been for a while) the LMP, which is probably up for replacement with a dedicated super car.

Markets: First, our awareness. Our cap is 90% awareness in most countries, and we're very close to it in our main markets. From the growth percentage numbers, you can see we've entered some new markets as well. Delivery has grown fast since we moved the Hauler into a Huge factory, and now that we're selling more cars in general, we've started gaining Awareness (presumably, as a consequence of sales) quickly in a few Budget markets. Passenger Fleet has also grown fast, a consequence of New Minecarts being available for a reasonable price.

Here's our sales numbers, limited to awareness. If the percentage is low in a category, we could probably stand to be making more cars for it. Thanks to more and cheaper cars, we're selling a lot to Family, which has now surpassed Family Premium. You can also see that we're nearly capped out on markets like Super, Muscle Premium and Luxury/GT. Surprisingly, we're still only selling to half of Muscle. The Colossus might be too expensive to sell to the whole market.

Lastly, here's demographic sizes. The economy is good, most are growing. Delivery, Heavy/Offroad Utility, and oddly Track are all growing a lot.

What are all our factories?
I don't intend to make this a regular feature, but it's definitely time to summarize. Honestly, I've stopped thinking in terms of total number of factories for the company, and mostly just think of factories for each project. So, I'm not even sure how many we have offhand. The factory screen is getting too big to screenshot, so I'll just list things off. Production numbers are for January 1999. Since I closed the game, I have to tick forward again before the factory screen actually shows numbers (rather annoying).

Unoccupied Factories:
2 Huge car factories, 2 Huge engine factories. These are under construction, will finish in mid 2000.

Reactor Factories:
There are 3 Huge factories making Reactor engines, totaling about 180,000 units.
The New Minecart has a Huge factory, and a Large 1 factory. Due to bugs(?) the Large factory is not producing any cars. The Huge is producing 47k.
The Hauler Mk2 has a Huge and Large 2 factory, totaling about 74k cars.
The Migrant is in a Large 1 factory, producing about 17k cars.
The Alpaca is in a Huge and a Large 1 factory, producing about 60k cars.

Pumpstack Factories:
The Pumpstack is (somewhat inefficiently no doubt) being made in two factories, a Medium 2 and Medium 3, instead of a Large or something. Total about 14k units.
The Rapture is being made in a Medium 3 factory, putting out 6000 units.
The LMP is also being made in a Medium 3 factory, putting out 4400 units. It's actually running 2.1 shifts to the Rapture's 2, but the output for that work is less due to Luxury interior and maybe less automation.
The Bay 12 GT is in a Medium 3 and making 4600 units. Like the LMP, it has a Luxury interior.

Noble:
The Noble V8 is being made in two separate Medium 3 factories. These are tooled quite differently, one makes 9600 engines and the other only 5000.
The Noble Premium is being made in a Large 1 factory with 10k output, and the Noble DeLuxe is being made in a Medium 3 with a Leatherworks with about 3800 output.

Colossus:
The 12 engine is being made in a Large 1 factory making 8500 engines per month (it's relatively high PU with its 10 cylinders). At least I'm 90% sure it's a Large 1, you can't see engine factory sizes on the factory screen for god knows what reason, although you can see car factory sizes. The car factory is also a large 1. Somehow it made 8300 cars last month, I'm not sure what's with the extra 200 engines.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Our total number of factories is: I have no idea still.

R&D: We've got the last VVT unlock, which I believe is VVT for dual-cam engines. This will be useful if we ever want to make the ULTIMATE engine. We unlocked Offroad Sway Bars, which I apparently managed not to put in the Migrant. We've also unlocked new entertainment: Basic CD, as well as Luxury and Premium Satnav. We also unlocked Sequential transmissions, which will be a benefit to some of our performance cars.
There's a lot less new tech coming up as we're later into the game now. We're in a long period where CDs are the latest tech for Standard and below, until they all get replaced by Infotainment in a rush starting in 2010 (probably 2002 for us- I guess you'll be able to plug your PDA into your car???) We're also going to unlock Dual Clutch transmissions in a couple years. These are basically the ultimate transmissions for both economy and performance, though they might be pricey at first because we're unlocking them a few years early. Other than that, there's new safety and Launch Control coming up eventually. In many tech categories, we've already unlocked everything in the game.

Bodies: Thanks to highly aggressive tech investing, we've unlocked bodies up to 2009. Very soon we'll get the 2010 bodies as well, but here's what we have for now: It's already an absolute crapton of body types.
The top two bodies have hatchback and wagon variants off to the right.
In the second screenshot, the bottom body type is a 2.7m wheelbase. The scroll bar is getting less granular the more cars there are, sorry.
The big block of 2005 vehicles have more variants than I can even understand, such as three different "SUV" variants with tiny differences.

Meeting Time!
We're getting into the home stretch now. We have almost all the tech and, very nearly, all the bodies. I checked in the car designer and there are only three bodies we have yet to unlock, they're all 2011 and (in my opinion) very boring looking. Keeping in mind that cars take a few years to design, it might be time to design the cars that we are going to use through to end of the game. Remember, when we hit 2020, the game ends and we get our final score.

Performance Cars: We're getting to the point of market saturation in many categories- except muscle, oddly. Track is also pretty much untouched. It might be time to replace the Pumpstack V8 with a more modern engine which is better suited to performance applications. Remember, it was originally designed for luxury cars, it just happened to be big enough to make a good performance engine. With regards to our model lineup, we have a few options. Our new Bay 12 GT has two seat rows, and with a big enough factory it might have the versatility to have a variant for every demographic currently served by the Rapture and LMP. However, it still scores less in certain areas than the smaller cars with one seat row only. We could also introduce new trims for our existing models instead. I do like the idea of building a real, dedicated super/hyper car for ultimate performance as well. This would let us play with some of the fancy tech and materials that just don't get used otherwise.

Utility type stuff: The Hauler and Migrant both skirt adjacent to Utility, but don't quite hit it. We could probably use a dedicated utility car. The 2.5m 2005 van is an interesting prospect, since it has a pickup variant. However, that also has only one seat row, so a dedicated Utility model with two seat rows and a bed could be a better option. The Migrant and Hauler both seem like they could stand larger production numbers as well. The Hauler in particular, despite having a Huge factory already, is spread across wide markets with its variants, so it could use more production.

Economy Cars: We've just rolled out our new I4 engine, which we might use until the end of the game. We could experiment with something more expensive but more fuel efficient, like a dual-cam engine, and see how they like it. We could also consider making the massive upgrade to Direct Injection, although that is still ahead of its time. Otherwise, merely improving our engineering will probably be a big gain. With regard to our models, the Alpaca is probably good until 2020 but my pride is insisting we replace it with a more modern looking car soon. The New Minecart could also conceivably be replaced, though it's doing great. We also might consider splitting some of our cars into Budget and Premium trims, especially as we continue to expand into more factories.

More Factories? We have two Huge factory pairs coming up soon, it is time we decide which model(s) will be the first to get two Huge factories all to itself. At this stage in the game, making multiple trims makes a lot more sense. We also need to decide how many more factories we want to build- the earlier the better. I'd say we can comfortable afford four pairs of Huge engine and car factories, and if we want to go all out we could try making more. I am curious to see if we can reach total market saturation by 2020.

R&D and Marketing: We're getting to the "look how much money I have" stage of R&D and dealerships. Going to the very highest level in anything generally costs more than the actual return, but as we open up more Huge factories we might be able to afford it. Let me know if we should have any particular goals.

The Dropbox is updated as usual with the newest cars! Try the Colossus and Bay 12 GT!

Hot Laps!
I did a video too!

I know you're all excited to see the Colossus, but first, how does our new Reactor engine perform? I'm choosing the New Minecart as our benchmark. It's definitely our fastest economy car yet, alllllmost breaking the 3 minute mark with a 3:00:81 time. It hits 105mph in the slingshot as well, truly making it a car that has enough acceleration to be safe on modern highways. I feel the need to emphasize again though, this thing averages 51 miles per gallon. I don't actually know whether that's US or UK gallons though.

The new Bay 12 GT is extremely similar to our other performance cars in design, with the same engine and AWD. Its main advantage, really, is having a second seat row. On the test track, it clocks an impressive 2:19. Impressively, this is two seconds faster than the latest LMP revision! I'm not sure exactly what makes it so great, but I think the fact that the body itself has low drag and not too much lift is a contributor. It hits 139 on the Slingshot, which is pretty damn fast.

Now the one I really want to see: the Colossus! It's tuned for straight line speed more than handling, but what will its absurdly large 12.0L do around the track? Since we never actually put a performance version of the Noble V8 into production, this 576 horsepower monster is the most powerful engine we've ever produced. During this episode we released the first version of the Colossus as well as a facelift. The facelifted version is about a second faster, setting a time of 2:21. This puts it pretty close to in line with our other performance cars. However, it sets our track speed record of 152mph, before braking heavily to corner the slingshot at 125.
It also sets our 1/4 mile time record of 13.74, although honestly, that's slower than I would expect for a car making well over 500 horsepower.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:24:18 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1998: Release the Colossus]
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2020, 04:53:30 am »

there's a 70 BRT competition going on the automation forum, I've done my submission, but I think it'd be fun for the minecart with the pumpstack to enter in group 2 (could enter with some minor tuning to the trim year)

http://discourse.automationgame.com/t/brc-1970-nurburgring-24h-open/35600

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2020, 06:44:30 am »

Given how much money we're making now, I say its time to make the fanciest luxury car we can, and the fastest super car we can possibly build, I have no opinion of what the bodies should be other than they should look expensive as hell.

Also I think it might be good to make a track variant of out GT car so we can take advantage of that market as well.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2020, 10:12:25 am »

I don't think any campaign cars would be valid for competitions because they have R&D quality modifiers. You'd have to re-create the car from scratch, and then probably re-tune it for the difference in quality.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23