Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [Castle Motors: COMPLETE!]  (Read 59996 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1998: Release the Colossus]
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2020, 10:16:52 am »

1) All our performance cars should be getting a new engine now. As we seem to be near the end of our unlocks, I'm going to suggest a compact but otherwise tricked out V8, tentatively called the Adamantine.

2) If we build a true hyper car I want something like the '08 2.7m. It just looks mean. To emphasize its personality the best name suggestion I have right now is Bogeyman. I think this can replace the LMP, and the GT would expand trims to cover any losses in less expensive categories.

3) The other body which really stands out as I peruse the list is the '05 3.0m with sedan, wagon, and pickup variants. It's like three vehicles in one. Does the pickup body include a second seat row? (Admittedly, the pickup is goofy looking compared to the tall, muscular image most utility vehicles have.)

3a) Definitely replace the Alpaca with the station wagon. Don't even post a comparison, I won't listen. I'm getting tired of this runaround. As this is a larger wheelbase, we could pick something larger to name it after. Which is most of the grazers, now that I look at the list. I guess I never thought about it much before.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2020, 11:17:16 am »

Lets get a light sports/track car and an archana budget car going, put some of our higher production vehicles in the new huge factories, and then use the old factories for the new cars. For the light sports I'm thinking maybe the '09 2.3m coupe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:20:09 am by lukerules117 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2020, 12:08:48 pm »

Hauler Mk 3 using the '07 2.5m box focusing heavier on utility(I dunno why, but I like the big box), something using the '07 2.2m little thing(probally a Minecart replacement)
 Shove Migrant into a huge as soon as its built... Perhaps also the Haulers. That or move the Migrant to both Huges, and give its old Large to the Hauler. Get more Huges built whenever we have the cash with a bit of surplus on top of that.

Yeah, we need a track car. Perhaps a single seat The 12 powered '08 2.3m super car?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2020, 02:03:19 pm »

I'm up for trying most of this, but the one thing I dont think is a great idea is trying to fill the role of the Alpaca with a 3.0m body. If we're trying to sell to the Family market, that's simply too large. They like medium sized cars because they're easier to drive, cheaper and more fuel efficient.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2020, 05:21:04 pm »

I'm up for trying most of this, but the one thing I dont think is a great idea is trying to fill the role of the Alpaca with a 3.0m body. If we're trying to sell to the Family market, that's simply too large. They like medium sized cars because they're easier to drive, cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Dangit, why'd the Alpaca have to be so perfect. Every suggestion I make to update and improve on it falls flat one way or another! :P

Fine, how about from this screenshot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
bottom row with the details cut off but if I've matched up its place correctly that's an '05 2.6m with a vague resemblance to a PT Cruiser.
That and maybe the one to its left are the only other models from the current update that I would consider stylistically; although I guess it wouldn't hurt to go back a bit.
(Hmm, that's slightly smaller than Alpaca, rather a shorter list of names from which to choose. The Bay 12 Goat?? ::))

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2020, 12:34:48 am »

1998 Prototype

Without staying up too late, I don't think I'm going to get to all the stuff we want to try in this post, so hold on for one later. I'm going to start with the big one: the Alpaca replacement. Tentatively, the "Goat".

Okay just first off... I can't find the body? I'm not kidding. I searched. I lined everything up. I'm pretty sure this is the same spot on the screen. But... it's not there?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can see the '05 2.6m body. But, the people mover and van variant just aren't there. I don't really know what to say. Well, I believe you also suggested to try the one to the left, so that can be a candidate. The "one to the left" is a hatchback, but the Wagon may be the most ideal.

Since we're always selling our Alpacas (or any other economy car) at insane margins, I'm going to spare no expense in the engineering, and rely on sheer volume to make it cheap. That means it's getting multilink rear suspension, the most comfortable option in the game. I gave it +1 Chassis and Body quality above our already +11 base tech. I also sprung for fully clad undertray, an aero feature which helps gas mileage, making a benefit for commuters even though Family likes it slightly less. Oddly enough, of all the things to cheap out on, they seem to like small brakes which are prone to brake fade. Lastly, I planned out an upgrade of the Reactor to Direct Injection. This would take about as long as the car model to engineer, but hey, it would benefit the new car model. Ultimately this is what I came up with. It's fully 3200 pounds with modern safety features, but the scores aren't bad.

I also couldn't resist seeing if a wagon would be better. Except for Family Sport (of all the markets?) it's not.

Almost time to go to sleep... but what about that new performance engine? I'm going to use the Bay 12 GT as a test platform. Well, I didn't finish up tuning it, but I tried an aluminum dual-cam V8 around 3.7 liters. I keep getting around 400 horsepower... which is cool, but it also makes it a 200 mile per hour car (that's really impressive on only 400 horsepower but alright) and requires the $8000 tires. I keep getting stuck around 180 score in GT and Sport, I can't go higher just by getting more performance out of the engine because it ultimately makes the car too fast. It's an interesting question, but what kind of engine makes the most sense is going to have to wait until next time.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2020, 01:37:34 am »

@Sensei, a quick question: Do you still have access to the 1940s chassis?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2020, 05:28:53 am »

Why do the tires for a 200 MPH car cost $8000, that seems really unreasonable.

Also I thought the point was to make a car that could go as fast as possible?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2020, 07:00:05 am »

Without staying up too late, I don't think I'm going to get to all the stuff we want to try in this post, so hold on for one later. I'm going to start with the big one: the Alpaca replacement. Tentatively, the "Goat".

Okay just first off... I can't find the body? I'm not kidding. I searched. I lined everything up. I'm pretty sure this is the same spot on the screen. But... it's not there?

My bad, I think ... looking again I think I might have been aiming at an '03 2.6m body.
I'm not sure now if I misidentified or mistyped, but it couldn't have helped either way.
If it makes you feel better, I would think it's the same spot on the screen, too. That's the '05 2.8-2.6-2.5 progression, yet the next row sorts out differently than before.

There's two projects at work: a hyper car, and replacing the engine for all our sports/GT/convertible cars. Most of the latter don't want to spend $8000 on tires.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2020, 09:46:25 am »

There's two projects at work: a hyper car, and replacing the engine for all our sports/GT/convertible cars. Most of the latter don't want to spend $8000 on tires.

you can have two variants of the same engine, a detuned, naturally aspirated 3.7 for the gt and a turbo version for the hyper segment. first year reliability is gonna be shit,  but then you're set almost till game end

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2020, 10:04:22 am »

@Sensei, a quick question: Do you still have access to the 1940s chassis?
Yeah, I have access to every chassis going back we've unlocked. The actual 1940's ones are old enough that the body age penalty might actually matter, however, and in addition to that, they tend to have high drag. But, we can still make one if we absolutely want to.

Why do the tires for a 200 MPH car cost $8000, that seems really unreasonable.

I mean, if you look at any car that actually goes over 200mph, tires do get insanely expensive. It's also only the 90's, which doesn't help (they get cheaper over time). Consequently, for anything but the most expensive markets, you actually don't want to make a car that can go as fast as possible once you have good tech. I might have to make a turbo and a non-turbo version of the engine or something. Or, go smaller and save weight. Or just limit the speed with gearing, or electronically. I'm not actually sure what's best.

My bad, I think ... looking again I think I might have been aiming at an '03 2.6m body.
I'm not sure now if I misidentified or mistyped, but it couldn't have helped either way.
If it makes you feel better, I would think it's the same spot on the screen, too. That's the '05 2.8-2.6-2.5 progression, yet the next row sorts out differently than before.
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's not on you. I tried to find the cars in my own screenshot and they don't seem to be there. It's just the last two variants of that body that are missing. I'm still open to the idea that I'm just crazy, because it's such a bizarre bug to have, but it really looks like they're missing.

you can have two variants of the same engine, a detuned, naturally aspirated 3.7 for the gt and a turbo version for the hyper segment. first year reliability is gonna be shit,  but then you're set almost till game end
I am thinking that our dedicated hyper car will probably not be based on a variant of the engine used in our normal performance cars. We can just give it a V12 or something. That way, its engineering won't be tied to that of our regular cars, and it can facelift on its own schedule.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2020, 11:57:56 pm »

Dunno if it will be worth it, but I was thinking of putting a hot rod together, using the '46 3.1 metre convertible, building it in a small factory using aluminium and space age materials, drop the biggest possible V10 in it, see which market it appeals to most, then tune to fit.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2020, 02:32:25 pm »

The issue with using such an old body is the safety penalty it has.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2020, 03:41:11 am »

The issue with using such an old body is the safety penalty it has.
Couldn't we get past that with one of those safety things with higher quality?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2020, 11:18:22 am »

Advanced safety, steel panels, and monocoque AHS steel chassis should at least get us close to the minimum safety limit, it's just that all that will add cost, it's a fun project for the late game when we're just seeing what we can build. Speaking of which I would eventually like to try making a top speed car on that 46s porche body as it has a fairly low drag coefficient, and we could start dumping even more money into research.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23