Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [Castle Motors: COMPLETE!]  (Read 59965 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Baron Facelift: Yep. And yes, grab the safety systems(atleast for an "ultra premium" trim).
 New Model: Yep. Yep we do. Medium 2 factory in archana time.
 New Engine: Yeah. B4 or B6 with the cams. Smaller, more powerful, and smoother than inline, easier to design than the V's... Perhaps less so fer budget markets, but its alot better fer premium markets who are less concerned about "look how many cylinders I have to compensate for lacking other things!". That said, IRL they where also used for alot of economy vehicles(beetle, for instance, used one at points)

Anyhow, car suggestions.
Quote from: Migrant
Body Type: '60 2.5m sedan/wagon/hatchback
RWD, Rear engine(if possible)
Monocoque construction
Target markets: city, budgets.
Engine: Boxer if developed, Barron's if not.
Quote from: Hauler
Body Type: '60 2.2m(all three body types)
RWD, Rear engine(should be possible, right?)
Light truck monocoque
Target markets: utility, delivery, passenger fleets
Engine: Boxer of some flavor with high torque.

Choose one of these now, soon as we have the cash fer factory #3 get the other? Then, I dunno, get working on a factory fer real premium cars? Or just go fer an older body Migrant.
Quote from: Migrant Hauler
Target Demographic(s): utility/farm/family/light delivery/passenger fleet(?)
Body Type: '55 2.0m box(hatchback and truck first body types)
Engine/drive layout: front wheel, front engine
Engine: B4 SOHC engineered for torque
Other stuff: standard AM in wagon, nothing in truck.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

If I get a good lap in, I reckon I can get the Baron around the Automation track in BeamNG in a hair under three minutes—I clocked a 2:54, but that was with a rolling start from a previous lap. The computer's not nearly brave enough through the slingshot, either. It works flat out at 110 miles per hour.

If I have the energy after my yard work this evening, I'll see about streaming an on-the-record attempt tonight.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

more car
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

If I have the energy after my yard work this evening, I'll see about streaming an on-the-record attempt tonight.

It turned out not to be nearly as hard as I expected (the yard work, that is; the Baron is quite a handful to drive), but I'm going to try it at 7pm Eastern here. I'll destreamify the best lap into a video and link it later.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

2:55.001!

Playing test driver is fun. I look forward to our next chassis.

The best lap is in the third section. I give my impressions of the car in the first section.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congrats.
The nose of the car is so purple, when I look up I see a green afterimage.
We call that branding. Our cars leave an impression that sticks with the public. :D

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1960: Migrant Prototype]
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2020, 09:03:25 pm »

In my own Automation game, Linguini Motors has thus far not survived past about 1960 on three attempts—I don't have a very good sense for when I have enough money to expand.
If you're not sure, just go to the sign-off screen and see if you are able to get 100% loan coverage. If you can- great, you're good for it! Possibly without the loan, but weird stuff happens when your income source gets cut off for a long time. Otherwise the other big number to keep an eye on is your company valuation. As a rule of thumb, if your negative cash-on-hand is less than half your company valuation, you're good to go. Again, estimate this with the total projected cost on the project sign-off screen (and of course your current funds). If you're not hitting these marks, wait and keep selling out of your current factory. Of course, this gets trickier if you're on an insane difficulty run where it can be hard to sell competitive cars out of a small factory, but if you have a medium factory and some design sense this should rarely be a problem.

Well Sensei, I think you'll have to give up on your career as a Gran Turismo driver, but you could probably find work as an announcer.  :P
Hah, I actually consider myself good at racing games, but trying to drive an Automation car in Beam completely blind is nightmarish. I'll never give up my racing career- not unless I crash and die! Which, with the BaronTM's new state of the art safety features, is less likely than ever!

Baron '60 and the Migrant

Just starting off with the refresh, it seems like the Baron is more competitive for Premium Budget than Premium, and pretty affordable in that market too. I wonder what we're missing to make this a more "premium" car- there's a chance it's just a matter of sheer body size, but unfortunately we can't really make it bigger.

...actually, they like it (just a little) more when I drag the front of the car way out. Oh god, this is hideous. I mean, it's bold and aggressive. Muscle cars are coming soon, right? Well, it will be good, uh, challenge, for our fixture design team to make it look good.

Dragging the Trunk ALL the way out gives us a couple more points but... I just can't do it. I can't sell a car whose trunk is as long as its wheelbase, I have to put it somewhere more reasonable. This is one thing that annoys me in this game, I wish you could do a little more with body morphs, like alter the actual wheelbase. I guess the logic is that since morphs can be different between trims of the same model, it wouldn't make sense for differences like that to exist and still be the "same model".

New disc brakes all around, still less grippy than the tires can handle- the solid "Braking Force" line is below the dotted "grip" line at most speeds. The rear dotted line decreases on the high speed side of the graph because of lift. In high performance cars, this can be corrected with a wing, but this isn't really that kind of car. We're using brake pad material biased towards comfort, so we could get more braking performance if we wanted to, but these feel smooth as butter, or something, and apparently that justifies not stopping very quickly.

Just adding power steering makes a HUGE difference. We go up to 162 in Premium, and the Drivability climbed by 7 points. It looks like this heavy car really needed it.

Engine tweaks- it looks like they don't want more power, basically no matter what I do. I played around and found they DO like Premium Leaded fuel with much higher compression, and even more restricted exhaust and lower cams. Quiet, with power starting from the bottom, but I don't think it will be smashing the '55 Baron's test track record. Incidentally, the engine's fuel efficiency is surprisingly good for a big (well, medium) V8. That all gets lost in gearing, but hey, it's something.

It gets a new, 3-speed automatic transmission to replace the old 2-speed. As you can see, we only get 110 horsepower down to the wheels through this awful slushbox. Now this car has mushy throttle, mushy steering, and mushy suspension.

Market survey says it's a great premium car, with some appeal to muscle car buyers (new category as of this year!) and Family Sport Premium too. Also, Commuter Premium, because apparently our 15MPG gas mileage can be overlooked in favor of the high quality luxury interior, even though Commuters value fuel economy more than anyone else except City Eco.
Here's what the final body shape (with more trunk than the '55 but not MAXIMUM TRUNK) looks like:

The Wagon update isn't producing crazy numbers, but it was selling fine already. I have made some strides with the Urist MC engine: for about a 10% increase in cost, we've got dual carbs, higher compression, more power, more fuel efficiency, and the redline has increased from 4700RPM to 5400RPM. This engine is no longer the absolute bare minimum in technology, although it's still incredibly cheap. I hope the increased fuel economy will make up for the change in price. The new 34 horsepower Urist should be a great improvement.

Other than that, not much changes. It's staying on drum brakes, because that's all it takes to provide as much braking force as the narrow tires can provide grip. It also looks like standard interiors are considered to be an improvement over premium, but only if we take Archana into account. I'm going to leave the Premium interior where it is and save us a couple months engineering. It does get power steering just like its Sedan cousin. This actually reduces our engineering time compared to having one car use power steering and one not- from 30 months to 25 months! Irritatingly this number does not show in the designer- you only see the engineering cost as if you were making the car from scratch. But, repeatedly going between the designer and the engineering screen reveals this to be the case. Effectively, it's cheaper to give the wagon power steering than not to do so, if we've committed to giving the sedan power steering.

Now's a good time to talk about Archana. Archana is such an outlier than unless I'm specifically targeting them, I prefer to disable them in the market screen in the designer, because they want totally different things from everybody else. The Baron Wagon's a great example of this. If you take the average of all countries, it scores 140 or so in Family. Without Archana, 150. in only Archana, 120- and they can barely afford it (30% affordability). You have to be careful of this or it can lead you to weird design decisions- like downgrading the interior quality when most countries prefer premium interior. Often times Archana won't buy your car at all anyway, instead it will sell in countries where it can get a better margin.
Spoiler: Normal Countries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: All Countries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Just Archana (click to show/hide)
Notice Archana gets the car competitive in weird areas like Premium Budget too. This is for a wagon which has an inherent penalty for not being a sedan!

This is Archana's demographic sizes. They're decently sized. The next picture is Archana's budgets. They're not.

Total design time for the Baron is 29 months. It's not the quick turnaround I was hoping for, but I think it really needs added reliability and tooling. Predicted Sedan competitiveness remains bad, let's hope that's just plain wrong.

Baseline cost is WAY down. Once again this is sort of a trick: we haven't really paid back the tooling from the first time. I've set much higher margins to compensate. Still, both cars have come down in price compared to before, which should really help them sell. I think the Baron is going to take off when this is done.

The Migrant

Well, this will be a challenge. I basically never use these van bodies. Furthermore, we're talking low-income with it, which has various meanings now. The actual Budget demographics in Archana can barely afford the minimum price for the old Urist model. The Migrant is going to be more expensive just by virtue of being larger, and we probably will have to push it out of a smaller factory too, which tends to make the car more expensive. Since we want the "absolute cheapest engine" there's truly no replacement for the Urist MC engine. It's tiny, it has pushrods, and its engineering is basically maxed out to make it cheaper, which took us 14 years of revisions to accomplish. I WILL test a version with a newer engine later though. Just for starters on the Migrant, most of the time I'm targeting Archana-only Family demographic. That should put us close to Family Budget range for the other countries, or at least get us crazy margins like the Urist had. It's getting a front transverse engine, and some cheap suspension (but not solid axle, they like it close to ground for ease of access), as well as negative chassis quality to help offset the cost of the large body. I know some vans like this were rear or mid engined, but this body only allows front. There's a real lack of rear-engine non-sporty body options in Automation.
Notice the little +1 on the bottom of the chassis quality slider? That's from our R&D. This means that we have an effective chassis quality of -1 instead of -2 for calculating body flex, weight, etc, but we still get the discounts of a -2 slider: that's a lot of engineering time, and a little Production Units. Saving PU is good because it means more cars out of the same size factory, for cheaper.

Preferred body morphs seem to be rear dragged out as large as possible, but the front made as streamlined as possible for fuel efficiency. That's okay by me, it means we can actually tell which end is the front from a glance. By this point I've spent a lot of time fiddling with wheel sizes and suspension tuning but I'm not done yet.

They seem to like drum brakes, and small ones- apparently large brakes of any kind are just prohibitively expensive, affordability drops like a rock. I assume they are actually "balanced" for regular use, in that the rear grip line would be a lot higher if there were passengers and cargo in the car, so both braking lines would be similarly below the grip.

Naturally, power steering is a must for such a heavy vehicle. Also, with enough other parts of the car made cheaper, even Archana tolerates Advanced 60's Safety despite a 3% affordability cost over Standard 50's, which is a lot. This will help it sell in other countries too. Not pictured: I gave it 100 cooling airflow for extra reliability and utility. Family loses a little competitiveness from this, but Family Utility gains a lot more.

Suspension tuning is a nightmare but this seems to be the best I can do. 80% comfort multiplier- this thing is kind of a bumpy ride! Apparently that's necessary to make it easier to drive.

Here's the overall competitiveness scores. It hits Family Utility Premium in Archana despite having a basic interior and no radio at all. It also scores 96 in Utility in Hetvesia despite not being a utility vehicle, which bodes well for a truck variant. In demographics such as Family, it actually scores very close to 160 if you take Hetvesia out of the equation. None of these numbers are mind blowing but it's cheap and hits a wide spread, so this could be viable. For the record, we're looking at 5 years engineering time on the dot.
Also, 112 in Pony Budget lol. I feel awfully bad for the guy who's like, "I wanted a muscle car but I can only afford this, I guess it's kind of fast." It's geared to a practical top speed of 64MPH. Of course, it's already a bit of an Automation meme that every car you could possibly make will score in this category.

Variants:
You're getting your money's worth this episode (if you amortize the cost of your ISP bill across the time you've spent using the internet, this thread probably cost a dollar or two) because I'm going to work up a few alternatives too. First, the Delivery Van variant has scores that are off the charts with very little tuning.

Like our other semi-trailing-arm car, a Utility variant has miserable carrying capacity at around 1000lb, but this doesn't stop it from being a hit (according to market projections anyway). Just keep in mind that Delivery and Utility are both smaller demographics than Family, so it's normal to see higher scores if you directly target them.

Now motors. What would it look like with a SOHC I4? On my first crack at it, I came up with a 1.3L 3-valve that makes 53 horsepower, and better fuel efficiency too. It's not fuel injected or anything crazy, so the base engineering time is 62 months- we can have a prototype out in time to revise into the first facelift. It's about 25% more expensive than the Urist MC Engine. It scores about 10 points higher in Family and Family Utility for most countries, and 5 higher in Passenger Fleet. I didn't do pickup/delivery mockups.

We could also try a SOHC H4 (that's a boxer, the pistons make an H shape). At the initial piston size of 86mm it's too large for front wheel drive, but once I size it down similar to the I4, it works out fine. In fact, in tuning it for Family competitiveness, I got very nearly the exact same stats with a 1.3L setup of the same bore and stroke as the I4 prototype. This graph is a comparison of the two power curves (they overlap) and stats. Notably, the boxer engine is a hair better in a few ways. It makes the tiniest bit more horsepower AND fuel efficiency, which might be down to some setting I didn't get exactly the same but I'm not sure. It's also smoother and quieter, and has 0.5 more reliability, which I'm not sure how much that actually matters but it's something. It also takes 10% more Production Units to make, meaning the same factory makes that much less engines for that much more price each. Unfortunately there is one bigger difference: it will take about 13 more months to engineer. We're comparing a 36 month base time with no familiarity to a 24 month base time with 22% familiarity.

In my opinion, the logical choice is still the boring I4.

Back to the main Migrant: Putting aside crazy variants and estimating for a Medium 2 factory, we're looking at a launch price of $6500, approximately, which puts us on the upper end of budget cars in most countries and well affordable by Archana standard markets. We have a good forecast too.

The projected cost of building a Medium 2 factory is $1.5 billion. The bank will loan us, at most, 500 million. That means we have to be sure we're good for 1 billion in cash during factory construction without going bankrupt. I think we can, but with our other loan going on as well, this will be really pushing it. Medium 3 is probably out because it would ALSO need our engine factory to upgrade to at least Medium 2. We may be looking at an engine factory upgrade either way when we introduce a new engine; we will be producing fewer engines per factory shift because they cost more production units than the Urist MC.

Boardroom Meeting:

The Migrant: Should we go ahead? Should we make any changes? Is Medium 2 a good factory size? Should we start with just the family version, or utility/delivery too?
New Engine: We should definitely engineer one of these. What should we call it? Do we need to assess the viabilty of introducing a new engine with the first generation Migrant (and an upcoming Baron Wagon) instead of a facelift? This would probably require reducing the Migrant to a Medium 1 factory to start off.
Marketing: Once the Migrant comes out, it's probably time to introduce our dealerships to Archana. Should we wait until later, or open up now and see if our current cars can sell?

Keep in mind, even though I've designed these cars, we can still cancel them or make major changes before I've signed off. So far I've mostly led you guys on to the next car, but I'm open to trying different things, and we can also make changes contingent on them actually getting better market scores if we want.

Bonus Pic: Migrant FWD drivetrain.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:22:28 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2020, 09:25:05 pm »

Well, given my penchant for running automotive companies into the ground, I'm extremely gun-shy about having to bankroll a billion dollars in factory before we start paying it back.

How big are the utility/delivery markets for the Migrant? If they're huge and relatively untapped, I'm less reticent to get into that field, but I wonder if maybe we ought to hold off until the Urist retool is done and build it there, or something.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:08 pm »

That proposal of vehicle was the Hauler, not the Migrant, since all the Migrants where intended to have atleast one trim fer city shenanagans.
 Otherwise, I like the Hauler fine. Start with atleast the van and the family version, and sure, go with an inline four banger. Perhaps only stick it at a medium 1 factory for now. Which, on the upside, means we will be able to afford the Migrant(or perhaps it will be the Urist Mk2) sooner.

Eh, lets hold off on marketing in newland until three months before launch of the Hauler. Unless, of course, we cant sell all our Barons as is.

-edit-
Fer future refrence, car names and roles.

Baron: Premium markets that like comfort.
Hauler: Delivery and trucks
Migrant: Cheapo small cars.
Urist: ??? I dunno, all-rounders?
???: Offroad markets, places where overlap. Hunter? Fishsmith?
???: muscle cars/sports cars. Elephant?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:05:04 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2020, 11:05:51 pm »

Don't open for business in Archana yet; it looks like they can only afford the wagons and even then our MSRP before dealer markup is over their median to spend.

For financing the new car/van project, will any of our current loans come off the books during the five years? So that the bank might lend us more money at that point?

How much are the variants contributing to expense? I recall that when we changed the original Urist from a van variant to a pickup variant the project wasn't outrageously difficult. So if the utility/cargo trims are making this project harder in any significant way, we can concentrate on the base passenger trim knowing that our design supports adding them later.

I think we can wait hold off plunking the new engine into our cars until the first Migrant facelift. You said it costs about 25% more, which is probably not justified given our track record introducing first generation models.

That proposal of vehicle was the Hauler, not the Migrant, since all the Migrants where intended to have atleast one trim fer city shenanagans.
Might be partly my fault, I've just been saying "Migrant" for our next vehicle family whatever it turns out to be.
Migrant for the passenger trim, Hauler for the delivery van, Gatherer for the utility pickup?

If we do a micro car for city users it should be a Kobold or a Wambler.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:50 am »

I still like the van thing, but if we can't afford it we can't afford it.

Might want to pay off some of the loans before we start building more factories.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2020, 07:39:53 am »

For giggles, I took a few hot laps last night in a sporty little two-seater I made in my game, the Linguini Motors Model 46. It's everything the '55 Baron is not: sporty suspension, manual transmission, little B4 instead of big V8, well-balanced brakes.

The Baron is still faster around the Automation track, even braking hundreds of feet earlier and taking the corners slower, because it's quicker in the straights. I bet the 3-speed transmission and four-wheel disc brakes will only broaden the gap.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2020, 12:29:38 pm »

For giggles, I took a few hot laps last night in a sporty little two-seater I made in my game, the Linguini Motors Model 46. It's everything the '55 Baron is not: sporty suspension, manual transmission, little B4 instead of big V8, well-balanced brakes.

The Baron is still faster around the Automation track, even braking hundreds of feet earlier and taking the corners slower, because it's quicker in the straights. I bet the 3-speed transmission and four-wheel disc brakes will only broaden the gap.
No replacement for displacement! Of course, 1946 cars also just suck in general, you could probably do better in a model that releases in 1960.

I'm actually quite impressed at the time you got by taking the baron seriously. I wasn't sure it had the potential.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2020, 12:49:01 pm »

No replacement for displacement! Of course, 1946 cars also just suck in general, you could probably do better in a model that releases in 1960.

I'm actually quite impressed at the time you got by taking the baron seriously. I wasn't sure it had the potential.

A guy from another forum I follow suggested trying to pack a 'stone-age V8' into my sports car's engine bay, which sounds like a laugh.

The only thing that's actually, seriously bad in the Baron's handling, rather than just comfort-optimized, is the brake bias. If I could stomp on them without locking up the rears, I bet I could shave another few seconds off the time.

I'm looking forward to whatever utility vehicle we go for next. I think that'll deserve a few laps around the offroad and gravel tracks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Motor Company: Let's Play Automation [1966: Hauler Release]
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:06 pm »

The Hauler

Changing the name of our prototype to the Hauler! I don't see a ton of replies, so it seems like it's time to move forward. I'll go ahead and try to start us with a Medium 2 factory. Factory construction times are so inconvenient that it's usually good to build the biggest factory you can all at once. Chances are that after this, we'll spend the rest of the 60's just selling the Hauler and the Baron until we are out of debt and have a few billion dollars to go all-in on a Large car and engine factory. Since people are a little cautious and I'm making the decision to move forward just keep the show going, I'll buy us a little insurance policy.

For now, we're just making the passenger and delivery van, and shelving the pickup. We lose about 200 cars per month to inefficiency by adding the third trim. Note that baseline recall percentage start pretty high at 1.17%- this is partly because it's a new model, but it's also a downside that comes with cheap Archana labor. Oh yeah, since I don't think I did a closeup of this before, the left-most number is the efficiency and the second from the left is production units. Those together with the factory's PU output result in the third number, the number of cars made. Certain features like luxury interior are less efficient in large factories, and automation is more efficient in large factories too. It helps to keep the level of automation in factory tooling close to the level of automation in your engineering sliders. If they're far apart, you can actually lose efficiency and make less cars when increasing as automation increases, despite spending more time and money on the added automation.

Considering the cost of this project, I'm going to try going for Staff Facilities for just $100M more. Or should I get a QA facility for 200?

Nah forget it we're already spending too much. Maybe we'll be able to add that stuff later. This is the final factory setup, anyway. Also, in cutting the extra trims from engineering, I saved some time, so I was able to improve the automation level a little keeping it at the par time of 5 years. Factory automation is lower than default because it helps reducing recall chance. I still don't know exactly how to read those bell curves, but notice in the Quality Assurance Threshold box how slowdown and recall chance start high at year 0, get better at year 3, and get worse at year 5 again.

Here's the final pricing and output. The Pre-Production box shows that our car factory will take 30 months to build from new and the engine factory will take 7 months to re-tool.

I'm also signing off the SOHC I4 prototype. At the cost of 14 pounds and $25 material cost for engine, I've made it possible to increase its size to 1.5L later. The variant has the same bore and stroke for 1.3L displacement, this just gives us a little room to expand later if we want to, without designing a new engine.

Here's the timeline!

As our awareness grows, our sales price margins fluctuate up and down. First the dealers set it too high, then competitiveness plummets, then it goes back up... also, our credit rating slipped to a C.

Selling off our back stock of 1955 type Barons has returned our credit rating to A+. The 1960 Baron has launched at great margins too.

When factory construction begins, the construction costs basically wipe out all our profit from the new and improved Baron. Notice how the green income line on the finances graph goes up, but so does the red expenses line. Also, we're getting more money per month from the Baron profits than our loan. Now I'm back to wondering if we should have gone for a Medium 3 factory for the Hauler. Oh well!

I've planned a minor refresh of the Baron. Aside from some tiny tuning changes, the Baron Sedan gets lightweight magnesium wheels. I think these benefit us more in terms of sounding cool (added Prestige) than actually improving performance on our already-heavy car. But the big difference is the engineering sliders, I'm pushing to improve the reliability a lot. We've actually come to have more Prestige than Reputation, so this should help alleviate the reputation loss.

Ouch- another production issue. I'm just doing the full recall again, though.

Launch day for the Hauler! This is doing strong right from release. I think starting with a Medium 2 factory instead of Medium 1 made a big difference.

I pretty much forgot to open up in Archana. Look how cheap it is though! Because dealerships take time, we won't actually start selling much there until later.

February, 1966 Review:
We did it, you hairy slobs! We are in the money! Both factories are fully operational, and we're bringing in a profit of more than $25M per month, even after our loan repayment. This is the point where the game starts getting easier. There's a number of things to talk about just on this hub screen:

First, our finances are looking good. Technically we still have negative company funds, but cash is coming in at a steady pace, and our valuation has gone way up to $4.4 billion. We are probably in position to open up some large factories, or we certainly will be after another facelift of the Hauler at least.

Our production numbers are a little weird. We're producing way more of the Hauler Delivery than the Hauler Wagon- that's fine, the delivery is earning a larger margin so this makes sense. We're also producing WAY more of the Baron Sedan than the Baron Wagon, in fact wagon production is almost at a standstill. However, as a percentage margin, we're selling the wagon higher than the sedan. I'm not sure what's happening here. It could be that the absolute margin is much higher than the percentage would indicate (quick maffs: $10k margin on Sedan and $8.4k on Wagon right now) and that's why the factory is making almost exclusively sedans, or it could be that there's sort of a feedback loop. Wagon has a high margin, few wagons are made, high margins are set to profit on the few wagons that were made. Either way, it's clear that the factory split between trims is much more dynamic than I thought it was.

...as a consequence of the Carsmith's Workshop making almost exclusively sedans, the factory making Pumpstack V8's is overworked. Its minor tooling hitpoints are at less than half and it needs to be re-tooled soon, so whatever facelift affects that factory had better be in a hurry or otherwise I just have to order it to re-tool on its own, with some downtime accordingly (assuming I can actually do that, I might be confusing this with an upcoming feature). Also, you can see that the factory making Haulers is working maximum overtime at 2.7 shifts.

We're at the highest global economy it's been in ages. That probably causes markets to lean more towards premium too.

For our income, the Baron is making about twice as much as the Hauler, not surprising since it's a larger factory and our manufacturing costs are higher too. You can see in our expenses that R&D (mustard) is very small and other expenses such as dealerships are a tiny sliver. We can afford to spend more on these. Also, the damn government came again and demanded $84M over the course of the next year (green, 7M per month).

Our Prestige got a lot higher than our reputation due to selling mostly Baron Sedans. Now it's moving back the other way due to Hauler sales (note the colors), and probably increasing the reliability of the Baron helps too.

Monthly Sales: Here they are. Without showing you a bunch of screens, I'll also tell you that right now, Archana is only buying Delivery, probably due to our margins. Hetvesia (surprisingly) has the vast majority of our sales to Premium and Luxury markets, and about half of our Family sales. Fruinia has most of our remaining family sales, and (also surprisingly?) the vast majority of our delivery sales. Perhaps Fruinians don't like the Baron Sedan because it's not very sporty. ...on further inspection: Hetvesians have 27k median Premium budget while Fruinians have 21k. This also explains why our GT sales, a relatively high price market, are all in Fruinia. Take note also of the colors and percentages: if it's green/high%, we're selling to the majority of people who are aware of us in the category. This usually indicates we stand to gain from more awareness.

R&D: Since we last met, we've unlocked Standard 60's Safety, 2-piston disc brakes (no more not being able to make as much braking force as grip), and a couple suspension options: Gas Mono-Tube Shocks (better at everything except offroad) and Hydropneumatic Springs. The latter of the two is a very expensive, but very comfortable (and not-at-all sporty) suspension option which could be a good choice for the Baron Sedan.
In terms of upcoming technology, we have 8-Track Players arriving in one year (nominally 1970, but we're 3 years ahead) starting with Luxury and working their way down through the decade as usual. To think, you'll be able to choose your own music while driving instead of just listening to the radio! We also will have forged engine parts available in a couple years, but we've not exactly been pushing the limits of performance so I don't know if we'll use those. Looking well into the future, we have turbo chargers unlocking in 9 years. These have their own tech category, Aspiration. It's a bit unrealistic, but almost every market except utility tends to prefer turbocharged engines in Automation, as they can boost performance and fuel economy alike. We could invest here if we want to unlock these early.

In any case, we can probably afford to double or triple our R&D spending, so specify categories if you want.

Gasmea is unlocking in 1970. This is the largest country, economically speaking: with 54% of the world economic power, they have more spending on cars than any other country. Of course, I'm not actually sure what that means, since the total economic power of the other four countries adds up to 91%. Anyway, they really are a big market. They prefer large cars and value prestige over sportiness, which tends to mean they value power and speed over handling. In contradiction, they also care a lot about fuel economy. They'll be open after our next facelift and before our next model, so we might plan accordingly.

Body Unlocks:
All the cars which extend off the screen have wagon, pickup, and van variants. The '65 2.4m and 2.8m on the third and fourth screen have all of those plus some two door variants and a mustang-style sporty coupe.

What Next?

R&D and Dealerships: Our spending in both of these categories is now a tiny fraction of our income, so it's time to expand. You can specify where and how much, of course, especially with regards to R&D.
New Engine: Our SOHC I4 which needs a name is about ready. With our next facelift, we can use it to replace the motor in both Hauler trims and the Baron Wagon. It will probably necessitate an engine factory upgrade.
Facelifts: Of course, we always need to keep updating our cars. The Hauler is probably not going to see much changes, but we could add a pickup variant, especially if we're expanding the factory. The Baron Sedan might benefit from hydropneumatic (squishy water bag) suspension, if we want to try that.
New Model? Right now we're making tons of money, so we may as well start looking for ways to spend it. We have enough money to start new projects and target anything we want- a tiny city car, an enormous luxury car, a replacement for the Baron, or a sports or super car. The Muscle Car market will get much bigger for us when Gasmea opens up too.
New Factory? If we want, we could go for a new Large car factory for one of our existing models. We would upgrade our engine factory as well. We could even go for a Large car and engine factory, but it might be best to do that one refresh from now so we can afford it more comfortably.
New Paint? The 70's are coming, so we might modernize our look.

As usual, new cars are in the Dropbox folder. In the interest of thoroughness, I've also uploaded facelift versions of the Urist which weren't originally in. Since there are now a number of files in there, models have their own subfolders as well.

Hot Laps:
-The new Baron is about 3 seconds slower than the old one. Boring!
-The Baron Wagon does the test track in 3:43 while the Hauler Wagon does it in 3:37. I think this is due to lower gearing, as they have the same engine.
-The Hauler Delivery, being slightly lighter than the wagon, gets a time of 3:36. Honestly, for having 34 horsepower, that's closer to the 134 horsepower Baron Sedan's 3:04 than I would expect. Maybe it... handles really well? Find out in the video!

Bonus Pic: Pumpstack V8 under the hood of the '63 Baron.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23