Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 123500 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #990 on: December 31, 2023, 05:09:49 pm »

Heavy reliance on bless strategies for human nations are almost always memes, and recruit anywhere Flagellants don't change that, it's still a meme. But LA Mari is still a classic blood nation, and thus pretty strong and perfectly capable of winning games just based on that alone.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 31, 2023, 05:21:24 pm »

I hope I will be able to spam armies of horrors even harder than LA Ulm in the next version.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 31, 2023, 11:31:11 pm »

Heavy reliance on bless strategies for human nations are almost always memes, and recruit anywhere Flagellants don't change that, it's still a meme. But LA Mari is still a classic blood nation, and thus pretty strong and perfectly capable of winning games just based on that alone.
It does depend on whether or not the human nation in question has good blessable summons as well as troops.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 03, 2024, 04:03:34 am »

Very fair, I suppose I should have said human sacreds instead of human nations :P

Although off the top of my head I can't think of too many summonable sacreds for human nations that I'd say are worth taking a hell bless, big issue with hell blessing summons is you are investing so much into something you don't get right away. It's rough spending all your points on something that doesn't help you early game. The fact that most summoned units are hard and expensive to mass in great numbers as well hurts too. Mictland has Ozies, but then again they are an exception to the first point about human sacreds not being worth a hell bless as well :P

I guess some people like doing quite heavy pig blesses for Marverni, I'm not sure it's not a meme, but at least it's some level of popular sometimes :P

If we allow near human nations, specifically with wings, I've seen it done to good effect for Condors with Nazca, although I feel like that's sorta a greedy build on top of a greedy nation. I've also done close to a hell bless with Xibalba... I mean, if your troops are bad enough, no need for money right? (I've lost every game I tried it with soooo.... take it with a grain of salt)

Ah! MA Ermor and LA Lemuria always take hellblesses for their (technically) summoned troops... And they still count as human... right?

Any more sacreds summons worth a hellbless for alone? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I could easily be forgetting some... Maybe Se'ir (although most of those nations are not doing it for them alone) and I think Jotun Wolfs are sorta close, especially if you can expect a reasonable chance to control mother oak. Do people hellbless Sentinels? I've always sorta gone for a more moderate bless on them, but I could see it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:08:11 am by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 05, 2024, 08:24:20 pm »

Ah! MA Ermor and LA Lemuria always take hellblesses for their (technically) summoned troops... And they still count as human... right?
For them, the hellbless is part of their strategy to pollute their lands and the lands of their neighbors.

Mictlan are fairly typical hellbless nation, since in EA and LA, they're a blood nation, so they can control where their dominion has dominance.  Dump their hostile neighbor into hell, while they keep relatively neutral dominion over a friendly border region.

Flagellants suck. Best not to put them in the same category as pretty much any other sacred troops.

it's still a meme.
...I thought all nations in Dominions were a meme.  :P

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 05, 2024, 08:34:19 pm »

If we allow near human nations, specifically with wings, I've seen it done to good effect for Condors with Nazca, although I feel like that's sorta a greedy build on top of a greedy nation. I've also done close to a hell bless with Xibalba... I mean, if your troops are bad enough, no need for money right? (I've lost every game I tried it with soooo.... take it with a grain of salt.
Condors? I thought the supayas were all the rage with Nazca. And even the reason it is considered borderline OP, though I don't quite see why. Though, if one takes hellbless for those, one may not have money to actually summon them.
Definitely seen EA Xibalba's freespawned hellblessed beast bats being used decently effectively, with combination of Death Explosion+Charged Bodies+Blood Vengeance+some other stuff, of all things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:41:34 pm by MCreeper »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 06, 2024, 09:23:43 am »

Yeah, I'm sure Supayas can be great and maybe a bless for them is a better idea, they can maybe bit a bit hard to mass for the first war I guess if you want to also research and site search, whereas condors can be summoned at conjuration 3 at a pretty good rate. Well, not sure if it's "good" just that I've seen it done and win games. :P

I think they are sometimes considered opop for a lot of reasons... They sure do have a lot of amazing stuff, great magic access, flying, recruitable innate caster 2 is sorta insane, and of course spammable ghost sacreds.

The "kill me" bless on EA Xibalba is a interesting one to me, I've never tried it. I pretty much always go with a very killy bless. +strength +bloodsurge sometimes +attack ect. To turn the Ozies into blenders and make the recruitable sacreds into decent can openers if I need them to hit elites that my bats can't otherwise kill. It's also a decent bless on beast bats, improving their attack to make sure they get that fatigue in vs giants or be able to trade with medium tier troops. I'd be interested to see how it works out, although my first thought is that any sorta death explosion bless tends to be in the more "meme" category :P

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:24 am »

The exploding bless is amazing in single player for cheap bad sacred units like flagellants... I was hoping to keep it under wraps in case it's still viable in Dom6 so I could eventually use it in an LA game on this very forum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the bats you wouldn't need some of the other blesses foot troops need, so you might have to take less 4s in certain paths to open up the low level blesses. I can't remember which has the fast movement speed blessing for example, but if it's water you could cut that out of the build entirely with cheap flying sacreds.

I was trying to make Bogarus's awful sacreds useful so after trying a half dozen or so attempts at making them offensively powerful I tried using the pain reflection bless similar to the five-fold angel's ability. That was far too costly in points so I tried the death explosion bless and found it too vulnerable to arrows. I tried adding air shield but that didn't work as well as what I came up with later: adding to the death explosion bless the fire/electricity resist in earth blesses, charge bodies, and finally the battle map movespeed increase in either air or water, I forget which. The fire/electricity resists are to slightly lessen self-damage; I haven't done the math but I figured the electricity resist is less useful than fire resist to prevent a chain explosion from the fire damage, however with too much fire resist they tend to persist long enough for other friendly units to stack up behind them and the electricy resist might allow the enemy to step forward and fill the gap if the charge body drops an attacker but the friendly sacred unit survives the hit and electricity damage. I suppose that happens on rare occasion, so that way when another sacred friendly explodes next to them for their last few hp they have a better chance of exploding right next to a full square of enemy units.

I set them up in a long line in the front and have them attack closest. Behind them I put expendable chaff like Dispossesed Spirits, though if I have fire resistant things I put those there as well. Behind them go infantry and monsters then archers with mages mixed in where I want buffs to land. If there are flyers on the other side I usually make a trap for attack rear flyers behind everything else with non-exploding units (an exception would be a super explosive blessed commander with the amulet of vengeance; I'm not sure how that stacks or if so with the bless) . If I have enough cheap sacreds, I set up a few smaller groups to attack archers, rear, large monsters, and cavalry instead of only attack closest in a big line. Don't assign any of them to attack flyers, since you want them running forward and not back into your lines. Try not to let valuable units near a line of unexploded blessed units since they can blow up half your army if it queues up behind them before they've all exploded, so put everything on hold for two rounds that can take commands. I place expensive things that don't take commands behind a line of holding infantry that helps delay it from rushing straight ahead and queueing up behind the blessed units before they've exploded.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:52:17 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2024, 12:02:10 am »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2024, 12:34:29 am »

Which was out on steam since Dec 12.  :P

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 13, 2024, 11:11:41 am »

Which was out on steam since Dec 12.  :P
Now in Youtube format then.  ;D

But here's some more stuff from Lucid on Dom6. https://youtu.be/4d8fRkHp-FQ?si=doNhAc2CeY1U85N3

Sombre has some discussion on the new modding ability of the system as well.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 14, 2024, 12:06:08 am »

The exploding bless is amazing in single player for cheap bad sacred units like flagellants... I was hoping to keep it under wraps in case it's still viable in Dom6 so I could eventually use it in an LA game on this very forum.
Also, you actually posted that same thing on page 57.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]