Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game  (Read 19971 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 02:18:34 am »

I thought the DeLorean challenge was start with 50M, no starting tech.  I started like that in 1977.  My submission still counts, right?  :P

I've designed a GTO, but I'm wondering what to design as a second, cheaper trim with only access to Coupe body type.  My idea is to have the GTO and a cheaper engine variant and trim, just in case.

I mean, in the rules he didn't pin down competitor difficulty, sooooooo

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 01:55:57 pm »

hmm, I don't think I ever got the V16 DLC.

I'd rather build I4 city shitboxes usually.

There was a Steam discount sale, and I didn't want to buy another game, so for me it was about 1$ more to get the V16 DLC.  Considering that only about 6 vehicles in the entire history of automobiles had a V16 engine, I can see the logic of throwing it in a DLC.  It hardly breaks realism to ignore them completely.  I worry that maybe the game rates them higher in general than it should.  As see above, I was able to outperform the one company that actually tried to make a business out of the V16 engine, on my first try.  I ain't that good.

I thought the DeLorean challenge was start with 50M, no starting tech.  I started like that in 1977.  My submission still counts, right?  :P

I've designed a GTO, but I'm wondering what to design as a second, cheaper trim with only access to Coupe body type.  My idea is to have the GTO and a cheaper engine variant and trim, just in case.

I mean, in the rules he didn't pin down competitor difficulty, sooooooo

I used Insane as my base, so it was 100%.  That should probably be fixed in Da Rulez.   Protip: It's easy to design a Muscle Car.  Too bad that market demographic apparently doesn't exist in the late 70s early 80s...(so ignore it, bros).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 08:09:11 pm »

Pfff, of course only 100% counts, who plays anything else? :P
If you actually had a successful campaign in 1977 with only $50M, I'm impressed, though. I haven't even lasted long starting in 1946 with that amount of money, in LCV4 at least.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 08:25:17 am »

Pfff, of course only 100% counts, who plays anything else? :P
If you actually had a successful campaign in 1977 with only $50M, I'm impressed, though. I haven't even lasted long starting in 1946 with that amount of money, in LCV4 at least.

Didn't even sell one car, sorry.  And I started my V16 campaign with $100M, I'm so weak.  :'(

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 11:24:48 am »

got to the end of it https://imgur.com/a/RICmXAW (Car pictures inside this time around)

most of the issue came from the space frame chassis sportiness penalty, most of the solution was just to pump up power into space with turbos.

and yes I used the single initial pushrod engine design all the way into 2005 until I finally had some cash at hand to get a proper engine out; in that universe you could have had a delorean running at nascar.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:27:47 am by LoSboccacc »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »

mmm yes, I am jealous of my neighbor's brand new model 2 - trim 2 replacement replacement replacement replacement replacement
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 04:27:05 pm »

mmm yes, I am jealous of my neighbor's brand new model 2 - trim 2 replacement replacement replacement replacement replacement

and it's powerful Variant 1 Replacement Replacement Copy Replacement Replacement Replacement Replacement Replacement engine

("copy" comes from when I engineered a turbo version on the side of the normal one, without putting it in production)

I know, it's madness, but challenges where you have to restart often are tedious enough even without having to come up with hundreds names

at least this time I took the effort to detail the cars!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:30:32 pm by LoSboccacc »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »

Would it be possible for you to release your cars for testing in Beam?  I'd like to try out the marketable Deloreans

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 04:18:43 am »

Would it be possible for you to release your cars for testing in Beam?  I'd like to try out the marketable Deloreans

sure! they're only detailed on front right tho because I'm a cheap ass like that.

here's the campaign save https://we.tl/t-jOqlCfFdo1 so you can export the car directly

here's the beamng car pack, for each there's the initial and final model, but it's 56M  https://we.tl/t-vDsKkw9oCA

fair warning they are all oversteery because sportiness, not entirely undriveable but still.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 02:57:56 pm »

Yes, that's usually the cause of trouble: cars which are optimized to sell in campaign are NOT optimized to handle in Beam, I'm surprised most of the Bay 12 Motors cars haven't been too bad but that's probably got a lot to do with the fact that we haven't built a classic-era RWD sports car. High powered sports/super cars tend to be WAY too touchy and oversteer prone. I've heard Killrob say that automation markets like "perfectly balanced grip through corners, when not on the throttle" for maximum sportiness. Of course that means that if you touch the throttle at all the rear is going out, because there's no extra grip on the rear tires, and every car feels like a porsche widowmaker. I suspect a car which feels great/has the best track times in Beam has the handling in between sportiness and drivability on the chart in Automation, even though markets don't usually love that compromise.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:13 am »

There have been two update videos since I last bumped. Lots of new features coming in 4.1, which might go to open beta in less than a month. Completely new campaign sales model, marketing, and financing, as well as new fixture and photo scene behavior. Some more distant features of the campaign, like a system where you hire engineers and executives who give you bonuses to your company, and the complete real-world map of the Grand Campaign, were also teased in Discord, though that's a long way off.

I finished up the Let's Play. It looks like that campaign is the highest score anyone has got for Lite Campaign V4.0, so that's a Bay 12 accomplishment for the record books.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We also made a 1300 horsepower supercar that nobody can handle, and a giant toaster whose front bumper hits the ground when you brake hard.

I also started another forum thread- this time, on the Automation forums, for a succession campaign. Sign up if you're interested!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 05:30:52 pm »

4.1 is around the corner, Killrob started a new campaign showcasing the new loans, factory cost balance, marketing etc

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 03:35:46 pm »

Would someone who works on cars but doesn't use computers be able to figure this game out?

I know a guy who does not care for those of the robot race but he might like Automation if people think a complete PC noob could play it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:38:52 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2020, 10:37:10 pm »

That's debatable. There's definitely a ton of graphs/weird interface stuff to learn. Especially, there's a lot of weird tricks to the visual design of cars. Some IRL understanding will help with the engineering side of things but there's definitely still a lot of video game quirks to learn through. On the other hand, it's not really something that "using computers a lot" would help with. Still, if you're impatient it's a hard sell. Honestly my best recommendation would be look at some youtube videos though. Something like this gives you an idea of what can be done in the game and what interfaces you have to work through to do it. Note that Beam.NG Drive is a separate game and a separate purchase!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:14 pm »

Double post but 4.1 JUST went into open beta. 3D fixtures and major campaign changes! Announcement and details.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8