Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game  (Read 20663 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2020, 01:02:16 pm »

something that has been working great is turning your old car design into low value demographics instead of just dropping the line, a family / family prem trim converts really well into a van / utility trims as third facelift, and you carry over all the engineering so far, thus cranking out them cars at ridicolous prices.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also, in 4.1 it's being way better just to purchase new factories at every facelift, leaving the older models on sale concurrently.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:12:18 pm by LoSboccacc »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2020, 02:19:44 pm »

something that has been working great is turning your old car design into low value demographics instead of just dropping the line, a family / family prem trim converts really well into a van / utility trims as third facelift, and you carry over all the engineering so far, thus cranking out them cars at ridicolous prices.

also, in 4.1 it's being way better just to purchase new factories at every facelift, leaving the older models on sale concurrently.

Once the 60's were a few years away in '57 I rushed drivetrain research for Automatic 3; mostly so that my V8 trims weren't geared so awful like Automatic 2 turns out when you go for desirabilie spacing on a sports trim with Auto 2. I was going to make two of my old models "Classic" and have smaller factories make a handful while larger factories manufacture the "modern" trims. I designed them with 10 safety as Fruinia would have required it when it opened in 1960. I redesigned even the models I was going to replace with '60s models, such as my under performing Offroad SUV/Pickup model that was too expensive (I think) to compete well with the simpler minibus van without Offroad components n Archaea, because I was going to upgrade the car factories and figured it would take a year or two to have the new models producing after factory builds.

I changed one from a budget commuter or city style small car to a budget convertible because in '55 I had designed a mini car that was dominating the demographics it had been targeting.

I was going to wait until those facelifts were done, but I ran into what I think was a second crippling bug in that campaign save. The car's engineering project finished but there was no notification, the car factories were unable to be changed because it was still being retooled for the project. I let it run a few years to see if I did something wrong, but it didn't work. I had 3 facelifts and it happened to two of them. No idea why, except maybe that it was because the two models that were effected juggled some car factories around, as I had been overproducing a sports trim in a small factory and swapped it to a tiny factory the other trim had been using. I think I didn't align the projects to finish at the same time; maybe that's what broke those two models and all their factories. Ah well.

The first bug was early on. A factory was stuck in planning for a retool by an engine project that no longer existed. I think I started an engine replacement through the car designer and then somehow canceled the engine project without canceling the factory's retooling project, perhaps by deleting the facelift or the engine replacement project without unchecking the engine factory first. I don't know. It wasn't THAT bad, because it was still making budget engines; but I couldn't retool the factory for new engine facelifts and my only other enormously expensive (in a tiny factory only start) small engine factory was making sports engines. Engine factories are the biggest hurdle starting like that because of the dang 30 million iron foundry.

I really like Automation more than i expected to but I'm going to wait for a few patches before I givie it a try again. I crash out of Beta quite a bit and can't get a campaign past the 60's without important something breaking. That's ok though it's Early Access and I'm glad I picked it up. The campaign is really fun already.

If you have a whole bunch of a trim in stock, you can pause it. Your income will increase dramatically as you aren't paying production costs. Stockpiling can be expensive in the short term but unsold stock doesn't count towards taxes apparently... thus I usually overproduced at a temporary loss towards the end of a year if possible and sold the stock in January.  At times though I did wish for an autopause production option for some of the trims. because stockpiling any of the trims put me dangerously in the red when building an engine factories so I would have to pause and restart them every couple months.

If you build a factory without an associated project like a car or engine facelift attached you can't get a loan for it unless I missed that. However I noticed that if you build a factory without a project that you can max out the automation and tooling sliders for free. When you tool that factory for a project, the sliders are still at 100%. I think but didn't test that saves millions of car dollars on factory sliders, though you'll have an additional shorter tooling period and cost for the project when you add it to the factory. It seemed cheaper than tooling directly at construction but I didn't do much more than go huh, neat. It could have been perception as it would spread out the cost anyways over longer if I'm wrong and it's not free tooling.

EDIT: The greatest tragedy in this save game is that my ambition for the '53 (I think) cylindrical dragster body was never realized. In the 60's it was to become a Wienermobile. Or maybe in the shape of a 2-Liter plastic fiberglass bottle since I've been naming my car company after a soft drink company.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:42:35 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2020, 06:41:45 pm »

I'm actually thinking about doing another Let's Play or video series on campaign as of the last update, 4.1.8. There's still probably issues to run into but sales numbers should be acting reasonable again, there was an issue where all penalties for markets (such as wrong number of seats, wrong body type, low in a specific stat) were not taking effect. So, the game should have some semblance of making sense.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2020, 07:06:25 pm »

yes please i enjoy lets plays of this game and there isnt many new ones anymore.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2020, 06:49:16 am »

Yeah, it would be nice to see how it is now.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2020, 05:59:38 pm »

this version is a mess, every  time I play I post like 3 new bugs on the factories or the exporters or both

latest is again that factory won't follow demand until you coerce them

look at this, 14 *years* of backlog, and factories are running at a merry 1.3 shifts https://i.imgur.com/XGOr2TF.jpg

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2020, 03:26:31 pm »

this version is a mess, every  time I play I post like 3 new bugs on the factories or the exporters or both

latest is again that factory won't follow demand until you coerce them

look at this, 14 *years* of backlog, and factories are running at a merry 1.3 shifts https://i.imgur.com/XGOr2TF.jpg

That is not a bug, you're just playing as Studebaker.

Ugh, trying to decide whether to keep it installed or not.  It's still an Engine Designer with a Car Designer built upon that and a Game Campaign built upon that.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »

I'm still having tons of fun, even if the campaign often plays out the same and even if a game every now and then is ruined by sales bugs

When I'm burned out from the campaign I just polish my car replica and drive around beamng and when I'm bored of that there are all the challenges on the forums

So yeah the core loop is built around the engine builder and it's repetitive to a fault, but there's plenty stuff to do pushing the game boundaries, just hop into the next sensei challege XD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:49:47 pm by LoSboccacc »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 01:55:34 am »

Once I got a viable engine and vehicle, the game does seem to be too easy currently.  But have to get that engine and vehicle that actually works and people want.
I started with the standard insane start, but added on some engine research bonuses, since I wanted to play as a Car Tuner company that decided to get into making their own car to sell.

Bugged? I dunno.  Fun though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:55 pm »

Few days old news from discord: 14 years of backlogged preorders *is* a bug. It turns out that buyers were not taking into account to amount of preorders ahead of them at all, and with a year of preorders ahead of them people should be almost totally unwilling to make any more orders. This has now been fixed. Also, you now will have to pay back unfulfilled preorders when you stop producing a car.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:00 pm »

That's good, the pre-orders seemed broken. Next game I'll figure out how crippling it is to long term finance to utilize high deposits on the initial 1946 introductory models (which are cheap as possible and engineered to fit in the 7 month tooling period for engine contractors). It felt cheesy but I was using pre-orders to float a quick engine factory, but then I was nearly broke from fulfilling pre-orders already 100% deposited and paying off the engine factory.

I haven't done anything it automation for a while; I really wish there was an import car option in the campaign (at least for the 1946 designs I make at the start) because I'm finding remaking the same 1000cc engine and minibus + any other models I can afford every start makes me reluctant to A: spend time on fixtures and B: sit and remake my designs each restarted campaign. I was restarting quite often due to learning the game; my last was the longest run game I've had and it died right before the 1960s.

How campaign save-breaking do the updates tend to be? I've been restarting each patch; having a day 1 restart save would save some time. I tried using a save from a previous patch version once; but a bug in that save reoccured in the new version so I stopped doing that and my day 1 saves with day 1 models already made only last one patch the way I've been doing it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:38:44 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2021, 05:20:17 pm »

Well, the game still seems a lot easier, even with the preorder fix.  At least this time I had to change to a new model.

I'll share the tip that has helped me on Insane: V8 engines.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2021, 11:48:52 pm »

I was playing around with the new difficulty settings which max out at 100x score. If you start with no money and a tiny car plot (no factories) only and set economic variation to extreme, you can add some things like tech and car dealership points (I am not clear how initial dealerships during campaign set up function since the recent dealership changes) while maintaining 100x score.

I've found you can add 9 or more points to say Body tech this way, which unlocks the sweet 1955 models. That 1955 mini-car model is ideal for Achea; it's easier to make it affordable to go further into budget demographics due to expense of production with an initial tiny car factory and contractor engines.

On my test campaign run I made one of that model into a wagon and aimed it at family budget. After a while I had I think like 200 months of preorders (using a tiny factory with automation up to the breaking point for tiny). I did use a smaller, cheaper engine this time though at around 450cc 3 cylinder, since I optimized it for the mini-car instead of my usual 1000cc on everything not sports or luxury. So I guess I'm not sure if that's more pre-orders than it should be, or if I built a more desirable car this time that also had a very advanced body for the year.

The eminently exploitable bug of designing a engine you won't be using and then on the factory sceen within the engine designer, setting it to maximum plot size is still there. As long as you don't sign off, the factory is never built and the plot not paid for, but the game acts as if you own the plot for purposes of company value which means you can take loans against it.

I'm not sure how viable starting without factories is without that exploit. I could only get 3% loan coverage for my first tiny car factory with company valued as an empty tiny plot. It would require a way to obtain a bit of income to back the loan prior to begining the expense of a car factory.

EDIT: V8s are great for initial car, sports is way more profitable to make in tiny factories than demographics with less budget. Eventually you hit a wall if you expand sports production, especially if you are making convertibles and family sports too, but I think a V8 is a great first engine especially with the reduced cost and engineering the first engine receives. I've done well with a 2000cc DAOC (or whatever the acronym is; I used to play a game called Dark Age of Camelot shortened to DAOC so that's how I read it sometimes) V8 in 1946. I designed it for Light Sports but my non-convertible sports model was comfortable enough in the GT area of the demographics that I was selling in those too with the same engine. You can really crank up the selling cost on sports and premiums compared to cheaper demographics and still sell everything your tiny factories make, especially as fancier cars take more production time. I think it irritates the dealerships though, and that's an aspect of the game I haven't really figured out.

One thing I considered was putting 4 in the engine tech that unlocks 50's aluminum bits for engine gubbins. That way I could start with an alum sports V8 on my contractor and use the reduced engineering for first engine on it. I haven't tried that yet though.

EDIT: I found a minor bug and here is a screenshot of a no factory start. It looks like it might be possible to get enough pre-orders with the right designs to pay for the first month of the first factory without going bankrupt.

Spoiler: The month (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: No factory starts are way possible:

I made a weird budget car for this. It's engine is the smallest 3 cylinderyou can make, but it's a Dual Overhead 2 with aluminum gubbins. This allowed me to get the weight of the completed car (a wagon actually) under 1000lbs in 1946. I could have had it score a few hundred points of desirability higher in Archana for budget family but it would have weighed 1017lbs or something and that's less cool than being under a half ton. It's a slug on the track with low topspeed, but it accellerates to 20mph much faster than the 1000cc minibus I was making before. It's also very cheap because of the tiny engine, which when using a contractor is usually the most expensive half of the finished budget car. On this it's alnost 50/50 split in production cost between engine (at a contractor price) and everything else.

I already have enough for an engine factory by the time the first model enters actual production at 50% deposit on preorders. That 200 months of production in pre-orders might hurt now though that you have to pay it back. I'll try a facelift and see if that makes me go bankrupt or if the pre-orders roll over to the new facelift. I think though it just starts taking pre-orders on the new model as the factories retool and engineering is done.

When you do a facelift, do pre-orders cease on the previous years' facelifts if you keep them in production past the facelift by keeping a second factory producing it? If they keep pre-ordering a car I'm building just to fulfil pre-orders that would be silly.

EDIT?: I let the save ride and this is what happened with no input other than full recalls when there were recall time stoppages.

Pre-orders just kept going up. I only noticed I wasn't taking anymore in 1990; which I think is caused by the leaded fuel my engines used being illegal by that point; wasn't watching so I don't know when that happened. I'm going to retire on the interest and go on to 2020 to see what that screen looks like.

I stopped production and was going to just never fulfil the pre-orders because at 50% I'm losing money on each fulfilment, but then I thought and said hey enjoy your illegal cars valued customers

Spoiler: Doh 0 score (click to show/hide)

I wonder if that's working as intended? I did rip off approximately 480,220 customers (rate of fulfilment a month x months of production pre-ordered) and sold a few of thousands of illegal cars...

Here is the score in the main screen:

Interestingly, it seems fulfilling pre-orders for illegal cars doesn't contribute points to the score on that screen, because around 1990 I stopped gaining points (that's what I was watching)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:30:16 am by Duuvian »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2021, 06:25:00 pm »

Eventually you hit a wall if you expand sports production, especially if you are making convertibles and family sports too

the less different the car the more efficiency you can squeeze out of them, good target combo for tiny factories at the beginning are premium + lux and gt + sport depending on the region

also beware that using unlocks from the future rise engineering significantly and production units too, that will rise your bottom line quite a bit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2021, 09:51:39 pm »

I was under the impression that score was based upon number of cars sold, so zero seems like a bug.  I suspect it might be because you got 100x score somehow bugged it out, or maybe it was too high and reverted to zero?

It makes sense I guess that it would be possible to create a company with absolutely nothing and fund it with the preorders, although I'm amazed you were able to keep from going bankrupt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8