Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoothing wall results in tree holes at the level above...  (Read 889 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smoothing wall results in tree holes at the level above...
« on: July 04, 2020, 12:59:43 pm »

I've smoothed a fair bit of wall on one level of a caverns (and engraved some as well. However, I just found a (un)fair number of "open space" holes on the level above, presumably resulting from logging (above "merely" smoothed as well as engraved). Those "open space" tiles are unpleasant because you can't walk on them, presumably flying critters can fly through them, and climbers might get through as well (not an issue in my case, but certainly when digging invaders come along in a year and a half), and they're also ugly (as I'll "have" to build floors on top of them instead of smoothing the rock surface, as planned.

I don't know what happens if you dig out the soil beneath a surface tree and then build a wall under the trunk. Will you get an unwalkable (but flyable) hole then as well?

I'd say this is a bug.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing wall results in tree holes at the level above...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 01:32:40 pm »

Not sure. I avoid touching the stone (or soil) directly below trees at all, because of weird effects like this.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:53:48 pm »

That bug links into a group of bugs related to trees. It seems that walls "linked" to the tree when it is cut down, are removed or deconstruct. If you build multi-z walls through the twig layers of a tree, or build a wall underneath the tree, then cut down the tree, the top of the walls will be gone and the multi-z walls will come down.

What about a pattern of statues, traps, or some ornamentation to disguise where the holes are?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 05:24:44 am »

I'd say this is a bug.

Definitely a bug.  Also clearly not intended because there is no possible purpose such a mechanic would serve.