Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange body tags for animals  (Read 1420 times)

DragDen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange body tags for animals
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:52:03 am »

Good day, everyone!
I've been looking through raws to find something to mod, but noticed two strange things:
1) Creature body variation GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH for some reason lists eye teeth at relative size 15! As in, their eye teeth are 15 times larger than other teeth. And this tag is used for most of the animals, like cats and dogs. Does anyone know if there's a reason for that?
2) With Dwarf Portrait's help I've discovered that Animal persons for some reason have seven fingers on their hands instead of 4. From what I understand, some of the tag replacements produce double definitions for finger sets. Here's the screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/48dq9atrzad4yjx/DF-Fingers.png?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:09:16 am by DragDen »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Strange body tags for animals
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 10:16:18 am »

Size for body parts makes them easier to hit, so there's that. Not sure if larger teeth also cause more damage, but that would kinda make sense.
A lion's eye teeth are actually even larger than 15 times the size of other teeth in real life, and there really is no point making body tokens for every single animal.

Strange numbers of fingers in animal people is something I've been curious about too. My guess is that the game doesn't actually read the duplicate body parts, just adds those fingers with different tokens, thus no extra second finger, right hand.
Dwarf Portrait reads the whole thing regardless any dupes as evident.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:33:11 am »

No, they actually seem to have duplicate body parts, even in-game. I tried it out in the arena, using the aforementioned wolf men. As you can see, its left thumb appears twice in the list. Its right thumb only appears once though, as I have already severed one of them (that's what's next to the pool of blood). The latter should be proof that the list isn't simply referring to the same part twice; it really has duplicate thumbs (and other fingers).

Edit:

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:59:01 am »

Huh, interesting. Such a simple thing to fix and yet...

DragDen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:53:37 am »

Thank you for your replies!
A lion's eye teeth are actually even larger than 15 times the size of other teeth in real life, and there really is no point making body tokens for every single animal.
Huh, yes, never thought about that. I thought that there maybe was a missing dot between 1 and 5.

As for the fingers, maybe the problem comes from this part from c_variation_default:
[CV_CONVERT_TAG]
   [CVCT_MASTER:BODY]
   [CVCT_TARGET:QUADRUPED_NECK]
   [CVCT_REPLACEMENT:HUMANOID_NECK:3FINGERS]

I'm not sure, but I think this tag puts three fingers simply because the creature have the QUADRUPED_NECK tag, and then it puts more fingers because of
[CV_CONVERT_TAG]
   [CVCT_MASTER:BODY]
   [CVCT_TARGET:4TOES_FQ_FINGERS]
   [CVCT_REPLACEMENT:4FINGERS]