Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Attribute Changes Pre-to-Post Embark  (Read 2096 times)

BrythonLexi

• Bay Watcher
  • Alexandra has been taken by a fey mood!
    • View Profile
Dwarven Attribute Changes Pre-to-Post Embark
« on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:09 pm »

Edit: As it turns out, I was mistaken in my findings.  I was merely misinterpreting Dwarf Therapist data.  Attributes do not change post-embark.

This afternoon, I just came across an interesting discovery with Dwarf Therapist and embarks / embark profiles.  As it turns out, the attributes of dwarves post-embark is influenced by the labours selected in the embark menu by the player / embark profile.  What I mean by this is that a dwarf who is weak pre-embark, but given (ex.) the mining labour, will embark as a strong dwarf suited for mining.

If you look at the pre-embark overlay of Dwarf Fortress; specifically Medtob and Minkot's "Mining" skill:

Medtob and Minkot's numbers are 52 and 47.

Post-embark, now look at their "Mining" skill:

Medtob and Minkot's numbers are 100 and 99.  They changed post-embark!

I'd love help to see what else changes, be it personality or if its just physical attributes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:12:41 pm by BrythonLexi »

BrythonLexi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Attribute Changes Pre-to-Post Embark
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 04:03:07 pm »

Some more !!SCIENCE!! is being done.  One test fort's dwarf, Lorbam, did not have unusual feelings about loyalty pre-embark.  Post embark, Lorbam "does not particularly value loyalty".  However, Lorbam's age, name (obviously), sexuality, gender, size, and likes were not changed.  This makes me believe that only values and some attributes are changed in order to make the dwarf more fit for duty.

A second test showed that a pre-embark Miner, Inod, was "almost never sick." as their only physical attribute.  Ingish, his other Miner partner, was "slow to tire".
Post-embark, both Inod and Ingish showed no difference in this.

I repeated this with a third fort and Goden, who was weak, but with an iron will, sharp intellect, and good intuition - same post-embark.

So it appears attributes do not change, but maybe it is just Dwarf Therapist preferring high skills?

BrythonLexi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 04:08:58 pm »

OK, further testing with turning off Skill weight in Dwarf Therapist shows that no, attributes do not change on embark.  I was mistaken, my apologies.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »

In older versions, Fishing raised Agility, which inturn increased footspeed. But with gaits now in, it may not effect footspeed, anymore. Prolly still improves Agil, tho.

Many things change attributes, upwards. Duration in traction improves Toughness. Pumping a screw, improves Endurance.
Woodcuting improves Str.

There was a list, somewhere.

Last I looked they were trying to determine if honey bee stings improved Disease Resistance, as that one seemed to be the hardest attribute to get to move.

Keep up the good !SCIENCE¡
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.