Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a detail image chart or typology for DF MOD weapons for size and edge ?  (Read 1441 times)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

because i want to know how pointy or long or wide or tapered each number represent actually are, since iam not a math person.
Size here mean thickness right?

my english is not good, so i may make mistake by using incorrect term, but i hope you all get what i mean.

it something like this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:46:52 am by Hiul »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know only image of armor coverage.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Size of the weapon actually has no impact on combat stats apart from its weight - it represents the total volume of the weapon in cubic centimetres.  Weapons in DF do not technically have any shape; all combat stats are based on the attack stats, specifically contact area and penetration size.

I'm not sure if there's a straightforward formula that gets the physical size and shape of the attack from its stats.  Contact area appears to correspond to the width x height of the part of the weapon that penetrates the target (and therefore the amount of potential damage inflicted on the target, but also the chance of the weapon being stopped before it penetrates to deeper layers), while penetration size is how deep that part tries to go.

DF's large dagger is 200cc in volume.  200cc of steel is about 1.5 kg.  This is a dagger that weighs about 1.5 kg.  The blade is about 40 cm long and 0.1 cm wide.  DF's dagger stab penetration, and slash contact area, are both 1000.  So let's guess that each unit represents about 0.005 square cm.

So that means that DF's short sword, with a contact area of 20000, is about 100 square cm.  A short sword often has a width of around 2 cm, so that means DF's short sword is around 50 cm long, I guess, with a slash that penetrates 20 cm.

While the long sword, with a contact area of 60000, is about 300 square cm.  So it might be anywhere from 75 cm with a thick, 4 cm blade, to 150 cm with a thinner, 2 cm one.  And its slash penetrates about 30 cm deep.

Let's see...pike penetrating 60 cm, spear penetrating 50...

Yeah, so these figures sounds about right-ish.  This is what I will assume is the correct calculation unless someone figures out a better one.

Each unit of contact area represents 0.005 square cm, while each unit of penetration depth represents 0.005 cm deep.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF's large dagger is 200cc in volume.  200cc of steel is about 1.5 kg.  This is a dagger that weighs about 1.5 kg.  The blade is about 40 cm long and 0.1 cm wide.  DF's dagger stab penetration, and slash contact area, are both 1000.  So let's guess that each unit represents about 0.005 square cm.

that image example just to present the weight or thickness right ? not include the edge point/tip or how narrow or tapered the blade are? as i mention iam not a math person.....iam dumb regarding math, but would help a lot if theres another visual image example regarding the dagger/sword (since the sword edge stab has big gap compare to dagger) tip or edge point and narrow/tapered of the blade that you mention, that can help me better to guest the blade using the dagger as base.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:46:43 am by Hiul »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is image of armor ingame properties. Except some about material science. You can paint some like this by using attack contact areas as dimensions of each weapon. Example, hack attack is dimension of blade and change length, stab attack give another dimensions of blade, what does not fit in blade - is handle. Sorry my bad English.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is image of armor ingame properties. Except some about material science. You can paint some like this by using attack contact areas as dimensions of each weapon. Example, hack attack is dimension of blade and change length, stab attack give another dimensions of blade, what does not fit in blade - is handle. Sorry my bad English.

yeah thats what i want to know, so what you mean is EDGE/BLUNT:tip of the blade or sharpness size of the edge (is it about length or wideness of the tip?):length of blade(i assume penetration size is supposed to be the length of the blade, but is it really about length/wideness?):name of attack:name of attack:name of attack:velocity.

or am i mistaken and it supposed to be EDGE/BLUNT:length of the blade (length/wideness):tip of the blade or sharpness size of the blade edge (length/wideness):etc:etc:etc:velocity?

since when i stab human neck including dragon neck using my modified sword, it flying in an arc in arena so i wonder do i actually made a wide tip or it simply due to my weapon size or length miscalculations.

also here one of my modified sword that i use can someone give me an insight, do i make it right? especially regarding the blade tip.

for IndigoFenix or others a more simple way, which one of this represent the tip or edge:50 in sword base on your calculations?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:08:12 am by Hiul »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

DF doesn't really calculate area all that well.  The only thing that matters is what percentage of the tissue gets damaged as the weapon tries to penetrate it.  If the STRUCTURAL tissue (the bone) gets 100% damaged in an edged attack, the limb gets chopped off.

More contact area = more damage to each tissue layer the weapon passes through.  More penetration depth = better ability to pierce through to deeper tissues without fully damaging shallower ones.

So a sword or axe, which deals a lot of damage to each tissue layer, has a big contact area.  A spear, which deals little damage to each tissue layer but penetrates deep, has a small contact area but a high penetration depth.

To translate this from a real weapon, imagine facing the weapon edge-on.  Here, I'll make a picture:

It is possible that this calculation may not be completely accurate, as less than a centimeter for the spear tip seems a bit small.  It is possible that my guess of 200 units per cm may be off; maybe the contact area of some attacks can be bigger than the weapon itself, since the attacker may be slashing it back and forth.  Or it could be that Toady fudged the numbers on the spear a bit to make the weapons behave more like he intended them to, as larger contact areas tend to chop off limbs and he probably wanted to avoid the spear chopping off limbs.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF doesn't really calculate area all that well.  The only thing that matters is what percentage of the tissue gets damaged as the weapon tries to penetrate it.  If the STRUCTURAL tissue (the bone) gets 100% damaged in an edged attack, the limb gets chopped off.

More contact area = more damage to each tissue layer the weapon passes through.  More penetration depth = better ability to pierce through to deeper tissues without fully damaging shallower ones.

So a sword or axe, which deals a lot of damage to each tissue layer, has a big contact area.  A spear, which deals little damage to each tissue layer but penetrates deep, has a small contact area but a high penetration depth.

To translate this from a real weapon, imagine facing the weapon edge-on.  Here, I'll make a picture:

It is possible that this calculation may not be completely accurate, as less than a centimeter for the spear tip seems a bit small.  It is possible that my guess of 200 units per cm may be off; maybe the contact area of some attacks can be bigger than the weapon itself, since the attacker may be slashing it back and forth.  Or it could be that Toady fudged the numbers on the spear a bit to make the weapons behave more like he intended them to, as larger contact areas tend to chop off limbs and he probably wanted to avoid the spear chopping off limbs.

thanks! :D i will try to fully understand it and use this as my basis for now.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It may not still be true, but a long time ago Urist DaVinci (who I haven't seen around in awhile) did a lot of work figuring out combat mechanics and equations. You can find his threads here and here. Below I copied the small section of one of the posts that talked about contact area and penetration.

"The contact area of a body part is just: area=(part size)^(2/3)
The contact area of an armor item is also identical to the volume and thickness

If the weapon has a smaller contact area than the layer, the layer's volume is reduced by the ratio of areas.

Tissue layer thickness and armor thickness use the same units as the penetration size in the weapon raws. The weapon's penetration numbers are used when deciding how far jammed bone fragments can penetrate, which is odd when considering blunt weapons."