Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any new information or change regarding egg laying civ due to the update?  (Read 1596 times)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

since i was vacuum quite long, and still try to fix several mod i have due to circumstance of my potato pc and relearn how to mod, before really play it with free error. 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wild & civ egg laying populations work correctly for world-generation rather than dying out, but its still as you might consider a buggy mess.

In fortress mode you might want to use the latest(/later) builds of dfhack, its also virtually impossible to have your citizens roost over the eggs, so most people just prefer live breeding, rely on migrants or find other ways like bringing eggs to a workshop to summon new members in with DFhack.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A while ago I created a bunch of kingsnake men adventurers in my retired fort and unretired it. I then used dfhack to fix their orientations so they would marry.

After marriage I built nest boxes for them and it worked normally. If you disable all their labors they will only leave to drink, eat and sleep, and neither of these will be long enough to make the eggs go bad. The eggs eventually hatched and I had a bunch of little snake men running around.

The funny thing is that since they are born adults (missing baby and child tags) they are born with random skills, since the game generated adult civ histfigs for them.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After marriage I built nest boxes for them and it worked normally. If you disable all their labors they will only leave to drink, eat and sleep, and neither of these will be long enough to make the eggs go bad. The eggs eventually hatched and I had a bunch of little snake men running around.

Hmm interesting, but with new versions i think the effect of their extended set of needs could possibly be interruptive unless you burrowed them as a extra precaution (not that it'd stop the former two things of eating and drinking, a dorm could be put nearby for them to use quickly.)

I might try a egg laying race for my next modification and try not to omlette myself. Perhaps i could just clear any accidental same race harvests or dead eggs into ``egg shell`` crafts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:17:44 pm by FantasticDorf »