Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library  (Read 81771 times)

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:47 pm »

Just want to say great work on this.
Getting a lot of use out of it (especially since DF keeps crashing so I get to do the same things over and over and over again...I'm getting a lot of practice)

So I noticed the labels not being set for Dreamfort zones & piles, since I was reading along from the download, but I realize the files included with the LNP don't have those lines. Editing them in, they do work nicely (and saves a lot of typing).

I like it, other than central stairs being a known contributor to FPS death and also Fun! caused by falling objects/dorfs, I suggest a central ramp.
While I'd prefer a 3 wide ramp myself, this is what fits without much change:
`   h   `   #
`   `   `   #
`   h   `   #
#>   #   #   #
d         #
h   `   h   #
      d   #
#>   #   #   #

Some comments/suggestions on industry level:
The iron/steel meltables has an incorrect setting for weapons. Steel bars & coke piles also missing no containers.
Is it safe mixing cloth & refuse in the same pile? Will it not cause the cloth to rot rapidly or it that only clothing?
Stone, metalworkers & corpses piles would benefit greatly from heavy feeders (wheelbarrows) as well as light feeders (no wheelbarrows).
Rotating the workshops (making the smelters/forge on the Southside....hey is plan rotation a thing in this version of Quickfort?) would allow building Services level directly underneath but allowing for magma in the otherwise wasted space (I pretty much always bring the magma where I want it, by minecart if need be...building on the magma sea is one of the worst pieces of advice given to noobs, building near the flux/coal/iron/sand is much more efficient)

Other:
The surface fort takes forever to get going. Some more granular separation would make it easier to get some minimal security faster. I'm thinking separate flooring to prioritize the exposed farming level as well as maybe walls around stairwell. Some kind of marksdorf shooting gallery would be nice too (although the massed cage traps really don't need much help and are hard to beat). Haven't gotten around to doing it myself.

Temp office for bookkeeper on other side of farming level.

Services. Why such lavish jail cells? And why no walls between them? (longstanding habit: I don't appoint a sheriff so I'm ignorant about the finer points of jails) Not crazy about the cisterns, although with the new shitty aquifers maybe this is more sensible than the large ones I favor. Same for the baths, the concept is cool but aren't they just going to cause contaminants to be tracked all over? Also seems like a good place for tombs on these levels.

Lye automation order is broken; it's dependent on the soap making order being completed, which can't be done without lye.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2021, 09:22:18 pm »

Getting a lot of use out of it (especially since DF keeps crashing so I get to do the same things over and over and over again...I'm getting a lot of practice)
I'm curious now - could this be related to the comment about some zones causing crashes above (on the previous page)?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:09 pm »

I'm curious now - could this be related to the comment about some zones causing crashes above (on the previous page)?

With the zones? I doubt it. Oh! Forgot to mention, and this is also the posters issue why they won't work (don't know about crashes); they aren't marked active. I keep forgetting to fix it since it's quick to run through and turn them all on.

My latest experiment was to download vanilla 47.01 small and generate the world from there and then copy it over to my LNP 47.04 So far so good, other than some wierdness with graphics (seems like Vettlngr tiles, Phoebus sprites, but at least my text is clear) and when I try to update PyLNP says something to the effect of "save will be busted by broken raws, no can do". Correction - default sprites, I guess Toady actually added some (crappy ones at that) for dorfs and the dogs are D and the cat is C and etc.

I was able to fix the graphics by hand, hasn't broken...yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:19:35 pm by ldog »
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2021, 12:00:04 am »

I couldn't reproduce the crash, though I gave myself a good forehead smack when I saw the missing active flag. I'll get that fixed up then go back to investigating the crash.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2021, 01:16:21 am »

I couldn't reproduce the crash, though I gave myself a good forehead smack when I saw the missing active flag. I'll get that fixed up then go back to investigating the crash.

I don't think my crashes are related to Quickfort, it seems pretty stable. Lethosor has been looking into it.

So I swapped the forges with the textiles, I double-checked the settings for the iron/steel weapon meltables and they are correct but same results. Also shouldn't the regular meltables exclude iron & steel or was it mutually exclusive to set?

I just realized you don't have furniture going anywhere either. Is this intentional?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:22:30 am by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2021, 12:02:15 pm »

Pull request for fixing the 'active' flag is here: https://github.com/DFHack/scripts/pull/245/files
It's a one-line fix in internal/quickfort/zone.lua, if you'd like to just patch your copy yourself.

Thank you for the Dreamfort suggestions! I'll respond to your questions on those later today when I have a bit more time to think about them more carefully.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2021, 01:46:19 pm »

I don't think my crashes are related to Quickfort, it seems pretty stable. Lethosor has been looking into it.
There is still a possibility that quickfort (or DFHack) is corrupting something that causes crashes later, but doesn't crash immediately when you use it. If you're seeing frequent crashes across different saves, and have been using quickfort in all of them, then I would recommend trying similar things in different saves without using quickfort to see if you also get crashes.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2021, 02:47:22 pm »

There is still a possibility that quickfort (or DFHack) is corrupting something that causes crashes later, but doesn't crash immediately when you use it. If you're seeing frequent crashes across different saves, and have been using quickfort in all of them, then I would recommend trying similar things in different saves without using quickfort to see if you also get crashes.

Now that you mention it, the save that never crashes is a mature fort so I haven't run any quickfort commands in it with the new version.
My newly generated save has started crashing, although it's been very infrequent, we'll see when the caravan comes.

Plant gathering seems buggy (I've never been a big fan of it, especially for surface plants) - after a point anyone assigned to it will get stuck, and even unassigning them I still have to wait for a few stragglers always it seems. It seems to happen towards end/change of season when there are leftover designated plants that have died. All of these were done from Dreamfort surface1, since I have been testing it out in all my new games.

And we made it to caravan unloading again and instacrash, every reload now. I'm fucking done!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:19:40 pm by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2021, 03:54:16 pm »

Just want to say great work on this.
Thanks! I appreciate that : )

So I noticed the labels not being set for Dreamfort zones & piles, since I was reading along from the download, but I realize the files included with the LNP don't have those lines. Editing them in, they do work nicely (and saves a lot of typing).
Yeah, the online spreadsheet has them, but the changes haven't been merged with DFHack yet (pull request here) You can download the spreadsheets (File -> Download -> Microsoft Excel), put the .xlsx files in your blueprints folder, and use those directly too.

I like it, other than central stairs being a known contributor to FPS death and also Fun! caused by falling objects/dorfs, I suggest a central ramp.
While I'd prefer a 3 wide ramp myself, this is what fits without much change:
`   h   `   #
`   `   `   #
`   h   `   #
#>   #   #   #
d         #
h   `   h   #
      d   #
#>   #   #   #
I like the idea. Currently, each level has stairs included, but I won't be able to do that with ramps since now each level can have either one of two possible ramp placements. I can change the stair_guide to run the ramp down 10 levels or so, and make that blueprint unhidden so it can be manually run repeatedly to extend the ramps down further as needed. Probably also want to rename it from 'stair_guide' to 'central_ramp'. Overall, this increases complexity for people who are trying to use dreamfort, but results in a better/safer fortress and exemplifies best practices. I'm very wary about making the blueprints any more difficult to apply, but in this case it's probably a good trade-off.

Some comments/suggestions on industry level:
The iron/steel meltables has an incorrect setting for weapons.
Ah, looks like a mistake in the alias definitions. I'll fix that up. Thanks!

Steel bars & coke piles also missing no containers.
fixed. thanks!

Is it safe mixing cloth & refuse in the same pile? Will it not cause the cloth to rot rapidly or it that only clothing?
according to the wiki, this is safe. The 'refuse' category will only cause accelerated rotting for clothing and armor, not raw cloth (or leather or anything else in that pile).

Stone, metalworkers & corpses piles would benefit greatly from heavy feeders (wheelbarrows) as well as light feeders (no wheelbarrows).
I'd had bad experiences with wheelbarrows in the past, but you're right that they can help here. I'll need to design a new feature for setting the wheelbarrow count for specific stockpiles, though, since the interface for setting wheelbarrows depends on whether you have the stockpiles plugin enabled (so I can't just do it in a #query blueprint). I currently just have a global setting for how many wheelbarrows to set by default for all quickfort stone stockpiles, but that's not flexible enough.

Rotating the workshops (making the smelters/forge on the Southside....hey is plan rotation a thing in this version of Quickfort?) would allow building Services level directly underneath but allowing for magma in the otherwise wasted space (I pretty much always bring the magma where I want it, by minecart if need be...building on the magma sea is one of the worst pieces of advice given to noobs, building near the flux/coal/iron/sand is much more efficient)
Good idea. I'll do this (and blueprint rotation is on my backlog)

Other:
The surface fort takes forever to get going. Some more granular separation would make it easier to get some minimal security faster. I'm thinking separate flooring to prioritize the exposed farming level as well as maybe walls around stairwell. Some kind of marksdorf shooting gallery would be nice too (although the massed cage traps really don't need much help and are hard to beat). Haven't gotten around to doing it myself.
Yeah, the slow safety of the surface level has been irking me for quite some time. I believe I can split it up as you describe without adding any extra steps. I can split the building up into smaller blueprints and simply chain them together in the #meta blueprints. buildingplan will match items for buildings in the order that they were planned, so I can still plan large constructions but have them be built in a more sensible order.

Temp office for bookkeeper on other side of farming level.
Good idea -- I have always made a single dorf be both my manager and my bookkeeper, but it makes sense to be more flexible.

Services. Why such lavish jail cells? And why no walls between them? (longstanding habit: I don't appoint a sheriff so I'm ignorant about the finer points of jails)
we build lavish jail cells to keep criminals happy of course : )  It was my attempt to follow [some of the] advice on the wiki. I'm open to suggestions, though.

I could totally add walls. At one point I had a library planned out behind the jail cells and I was starved for space, but now that libraries have moved to the (relatively new) guildhall level, there's no reason why we can't make the jail cells more "celly".

Not crazy about the cisterns, although with the new shitty aquifers maybe this is more sensible than the large ones I favor.
I wanted to make them equally usable for players who fill their wells with a bucket brigade and those who fill them by routing flowing water. How do you think they could be improved?

Same for the baths, the concept is cool but aren't they just going to cause contaminants to be tracked all over?
Sigh...the baths have gone through so many design changes and caused so much trouble.. I should just take them out. You're right about the contaminants. There used to be a dwarven shower set up over the baths that would clean the contaminants, but it was just too complex to set up and keep running. It involved a ring mist generator powered by a dwarven water reactor and linked by controllable gears. It was awesome, but it added 3 more blueprint application steps to the services level. Moreover, the whole thing would randomly just stop working and need to be reset. When I removed the mist generator components, I forgot that the whole reason it was there was to clean contaminants.

On the plus side, removing the baths also gets rid of the most difficult manual step in all of dreamfort -- filling them up with water to exactly 3/7 depth.

Also seems like a good place for tombs on these levels.
I integrated the tombs into the apartment levels, since dorfs like looking at urns so much.

Lye automation order is broken; it's dependent on the soap making order being completed, which can't be done without lye.
Sorry, I should add documentation for this. DF has a bug that prevents 'lye-containing items' from being used as a condition. You can *add* the condition, but it disappears when you save and reload, breaking the manager order that it was attached to. In the dreamfort automation orders, I have it set up so that soap making triggers lye making so lye exists for the *next* bar of soap, but you have to "prime the system" by manually making a few buckets of lye first.

Also shouldn't the regular meltables exclude iron & steel or was it mutually exclusive to set?
The lower meltables stockpile is a superset of the upper, iron/steel-specific one. There are just two meltable stockpiles since dorfs prioritize melting the closest items, so this is how I have them prioritize melting iron and steel items. I didn't see any reason to exclude iron and steel from the lower stockpile -- if you have a lot of garbage iron and steel, you probably want to melt it all first anyway.

I just realized you don't have furniture going anywhere either. Is this intentional?
Thank you for catching that. Fixed. Furniture was intended to be included in the "goods" quantum stockpile. I didn't notice while playtesting since quickfort orders creates exactly the amount of furniture that I needed and I never had any to stockpile : P

And we made it to caravan unloading again and instacrash
ugh, could you possibly try a run without zones? I could prepare a version of dreamfort that skips them.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2021, 05:19:45 pm »

I like the idea. Currently, each level has stairs included, but I won't be able to do that with ramps since now each level can have either one of two possible ramp placements. I can change the stair_guide to run the ramp down 10 levels or so, and make that blueprint unhidden so it can be manually run repeatedly to extend the ramps down further as needed. Probably also want to rename it from 'stair_guide' to 'central_ramp'. Overall, this increases complexity for people who are trying to use dreamfort, but results in a better/safer fortress and exemplifies best practices. I'm very wary about making the blueprints any more difficult to apply, but in this case it's probably a good trade-off.
Yeah, it is easy to FUBAR an embark with bad ramp placement. Since I've been doing ramps & quickfort a long time, what I generally do is designate my central ramp for the entire map first thing. Removing stairwells from level blueprints is of course critical to this. If I'm using a larger (I'm a fan of 3 wide so depot can go anywhere I want it) ramp then I will set it to mark only at a reasonable depth, but otherwise I find it useful to get a general idea of the map by digging until you hit an impasse, especially if not using reveal & prospect. I'm a fan of underground pasture too, so getting cavern breached for fungus ASAP is usually important. LOL, I'm a fan of underground in general, I usually even let everyone go cave-adapted. The killzone PeridexisErrant designed (https://df-walkthrough.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chapters/chap09-end.html#chapter09) has been pretty effective for my playstyle. I do like the idea of having a large surface fort for future-proofing though. It just needs to be able to be secured faster.
I'd had bad experiences with wheelbarrows in the past, but you're right that they can help here. I'll need to design a new feature for setting the wheelbarrow count for specific stockpiles, though, since the interface for setting wheelbarrows depends on whether you have the stockpiles plugin enabled (so I can't just do it in a #query blueprint). I currently just have a global setting for how many wheelbarrows to set by default for all quickfort stone stockpiles, but that's not flexible enough.
The big thing with wheelbarrows is getting the stockpile settings right, but I never go without them. I've also never found the need to go past 3 per pile, so my designs are vanilla safe. I use "heavy feeders" in a 2x3 for stone and some (large & heavy) furniture. Coupled with 12 tile light receivers. Granted I also tend to be overly granular (AR?) with my stockpiles & workshop links. What I wound up doing with the Dreamfort was making the relevant feeders heavy and then I fit a 12 tile light around them. Also cut a 2x3 chunk out of large trash pile for corpses. Nothing worse than trying to haul some dead megabeast corpse up from the caverns without a wheelbarrow. Oh, you probably want to add sandbags to your metal feeder (furniture, forbid all types but sandbags at bottom, leave the rest).

we build lavish jail cells to keep criminals happy of course : )  It was my attempt to follow [some of the] advice on the wiki. I'm open to suggestions, though.

I could totally add walls. At one point I had a library planned out behind the jail cells and I was starved for space, but now that libraries have moved to the (relatively new) guildhall level, there's no reason why we can't make the jail cells more "celly".
Having no experience with jails I'm clueless.
I wanted to make them equally usable for players who fill their wells with a bucket brigade and those who fill them by routing flowing water. How do you think they could be improved?

Sigh...the baths have gone through so many design changes and caused so much trouble.. I should just take them out. You're right about the contaminants. There used to be a dwarven shower set up over the baths that would clean the contaminants, but it was just too complex to set up and keep running. It involved a ring mist generator powered by a dwarven water reactor and linked by controllable gears. It was awesome, but it added 3 more blueprint application steps to the services level. Moreover, the whole thing would randomly just stop working and need to be reset. When I removed the mist generator components, I forgot that the whole reason it was there was to clean contaminants.

On the plus side, removing the baths also gets rid of the most difficult manual step in all of dreamfort -- filling them up with water to exactly 3/7 depth.

Before the aquifer change, I've had said no to filling by hand but the light aquifers being next to useless combined with them being too large it might be necessary. I know most players are frightened by aquifers but I used to always make sure I had a partial if no river/brook (and I took to not having river/brook). I'm back to running water on my embark until I figure out my way forward. I generally only ever do a single well somewhere near the hospital with a (probably overlarge) cistern. Dorfs will grab a bucket & soap and bathe at the well. They also don't leave contaminant trails that way.

I was a big fan of the mist generator since Buketgeshud, and designed an improved version based off that. It's a late game thing though, and requires drains on the lowest level, I never pump the water back through, have just had too many issues with contaminants in old versions. My plumbing systems tend towards the elaborate. I generally will work in several floodgates and grates connected to levers with multiple taps. Besides the well I'll have a cistern for obsidian generator, possibly as many as 8 seperate pipes for mist gens, and of course a water reactor for the magma pump stack.

I integrated the tombs into the apartment levels, since dorfs like looking at urns so much.

Unfortunately haven't gotten the bedrooms levels built since I can't get past first caravan so I didn't know about the urns (but I have had dead visitors to bury). I didn't even know urns were a thing, usually build coffins. Is cremation a thing now?
Sorry, I should add documentation for this. DF has a bug that prevents 'lye-containing items' from being used as a condition. You can *add* the condition, but it disappears when you save and reload, breaking the manager order that it was attached to. In the dreamfort automation orders, I have it set up so that soap making triggers lye making so lye exists for the *next* bar of soap, but you have to "prime the system" by manually making a few buckets of lye first.

I think the bugs with lye have been fixed for a while now (unless there are new ones). My old fort has a single tile pile for lye, in a barrel even (I remember that was an issue at one time; they put the buckets of lye in the barrel instead of dumping the lye into it). My order condition is "lye" not "lye containing" (which is used making soap), you get it from "p"  I believe it works properly, or at least used to. Understanding your reasoning though, your system is sound as well. Speaking of wood and work orders, that huge charcoal outlay is nuts, I wouldn't do that unless I had no coal. 20 makes sense, 200 ties up too many resources (both wood & labor) early on.

The lower meltables stockpile is a superset of the upper, iron/steel-specific one. There are just two meltable stockpiles since dorfs prioritize melting the closest items, so this is how I have them prioritize melting iron and steel items. I didn't see any reason to exclude iron and steel from the lower stockpile -- if you have a lot of garbage iron and steel, you probably want to melt it all first anyway.

I thought about that, the thing is automelt goes through stages. Keep everything, melt everything not steel, melt non-masterwork steel (and possibly I might filter the steel in ascending quality depending how things are playing out). So it'd be easy to toggle on first pile, then second pile. The lower pile will wind up being strictly Goblinite fairly early anyway.

ugh, could you possibly try a run without zones? I could prepare a version of dreamfort that skips them.

You mean without having quickfort place the zones or without them altogether? I can modify the plans easy enough. Already been slowly customizing. If you mean play without zones altogether I don't really see how. I went and commented them out, along with the cut trees and gather plants (which I heavily suspect at the moment)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:52:53 pm by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2021, 06:50:44 pm »

You mean without having quickfort place the zones or without them altogether? I can modify the plans easy enough. Already been slowly customizing. If you mean play without zones altogether I don't really see how. I went and commented them out, along with the cut trees and gather plants (which I heavily suspect at the moment)
Right - without having quickfort place the zones. Try a game manually placing them instead, and see if that stops the crashes. What's your operating system?

btw, to fix the bad config for the iron/steel meltables, you can add this to your aliases.txt file:
Code: [Select]
ironweapons:   {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitironweapons}
copperweapons: {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitcopperweapons}
steelweapons:  {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitsteelweapons}

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2021, 06:56:41 pm »

Right - without having quickfort place the zones. Try a game manually placing them instead, and see if that stops the crashes. What's your operating system?

btw, to fix the bad config for the iron/steel meltables, you can add this to your aliases.txt file:
Code: [Select]
ironweapons:   {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitironweapons}
copperweapons: {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitcopperweapons}
steelweapons:  {metalweapons}{forbidmetalweapons}{permitsteelweapons}

Just set the files up and I had a backup of the embark so loaded that up. *Fingers crossed*
Win10 Pro.

Thanks! I hadn't gotten around to playing with the aliases, I know you did a tremendous amount of work on them though.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2021, 07:22:50 pm »

Bah. after removing the baths on the services level, there is no longer enough room for magma, so I swapped the clothier and metalworker sections back to their original locations. I'll add a note to the walkthrough to suggest leaving an empty level underneath industry for magma purposes.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2021, 08:31:35 pm »

Bah. after removing the baths on the services level, there is no longer enough room for magma, so I swapped the clothier and metalworker sections back to their original locations. I'll add a note to the walkthrough to suggest leaving an empty level underneath industry for magma purposes.

What about the necessary holes that need to be channeled for the magma workshops?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2021, 08:43:26 pm »

Shouldn't take too much room, although I don't know how much you've condensed the level. Just short tunnels from smelter to smelter, joining at the forge (for volcano embark). If I was carting it up then of course just 1x1 in the right places.
Here is how I redid industry2, but granted that was with original services underneath.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have made it to early March (whatevs) without crashing, so cautiously optimistic. Besides the zones I also did tree & gather designations by hand. Curious to see next season if the plant gathering bug happens again too.

So do you really make use of the huge refuse pile? Being as you have the quantum. I've always gotten by with 2 small feeders (1 light, 1 hvy) and usually an incinerator but sometimes a quantum. Would help early security having less open roof. I'm torn about the vents in general. On the 1 hand I seldom have miasma issues, on the other hand, when I do, I wish I had something like this.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29