Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library  (Read 84354 times)

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2021, 02:48:49 am »

After a bit more playtesting, I refined the farming level to make it go faster and move all those doors to a later stage. Also documentation updates, checklist refinements, and better (or at least better-tested) embark profile suggestions.

Oh, also I moved two nestboxes to the initial surface stages so egg layers that you bring with you can start to do their thing.

I'm always open to more changes, but I consider this version leaps and bounds over the previously-released version of dreamfort, and I'm proud to release it with the next version of DFHack. Thank you again, ldog, for all your suggestions and playtesting!

Once my recent pull requests get merged, I plan to do a small update to automatically set the correct number of wheelbarrows for all the "heavy" feeder stockpiles and autogenerate manager orders to build those wheelbarrows.

I'll have to update the advanced blueprint guide, based on dreamfort, with some of the lessons and techniques I've learned.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:00 am »

Looking good! Glad I could help.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2021, 04:50:39 pm »

I'm hacking on the automation orders a little. I've noticed that all my pig tails are getting mashed into slurry, despite the fact that I have a barrel full of the stuff. The order condition doesn't seem to be tracked properly. I might just take out the entire "sheet" chain for now.

I found an inverted condition in the make charcoal -- lignite should be at most 0, not at least 0

I was getting cancellation spam from leather and steel jobs, so I bumped up the thresholds where those jobs start getting enqueued.

I also tweaked the farming level a bit more, moving the dining hall further away from the kitchen. This makes booze less likely to get chosen as an ingredient for roasts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:03:31 pm by myk »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2021, 05:23:42 pm »

I'm hacking on the automation orders a little. I've noticed that all my pig tails are getting mashed into slurry, despite the fact that I have a barrel full of the stuff. The order condition doesn't seem to be tracked properly. I might just take out the entire "sheet" chain for now.

I found an inverted condition in the make charcoal -- lignite should be at most 0, not at least 0

I was getting cancellation spam from leather and steel jobs, so I bumped up the thresholds where those jobs start getting enqueued.

I also tweaked the farming level a bit more, moving the dining hall further away from the kitchen. This makes booze less likely to get chosen as an ingredient for roasts.

Yeah, I had to turn off booze-cooking until services is setup.
I thought I got the slurry making to stop. Maybe add X sheets as stop condition?
Those conditionals get me every time.
Does it help any starting them higher? I've found it just leaves me without stuff at times but I don't really get any less cancellation spam no matter what I do.
After about a week or two of playing this game I get burnt out because I realize how fucked up and broken it still is, every time.
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2021, 04:07:16 am »

I want to reiterate that this project is wonderful, and just getting better with each update!

I wonder if you're familiar with the old DwarfMockup utility, which allowed you to design fortress areas in a sort of DF "free mode" using a tileset, and then write them to the old quickfort format. It was always a little buggy, but when it worked, it was amazingly handy!

It would be amazing to have something like that to support your work!
Team Bug Fix!

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2021, 04:01:28 pm »

Thanks! I looked over DwarfMockup's feature list (the source code seems to have disappeared). I definitely see some things I like: ghost images of other blueprints for alignment, easy shape drawing, and, of course, tileset previews. I'm a little reticent to start *another* large project at this point, especially one that needs its own GUI, cross-platform build pipeline, test infrastructure, and release process. It also occurs to me that a game map itself could serve as a blueprint design, we have some of the required functionality implemented in DFHack already (though not in as usable a form):
  • tiletypes can dig
  • buildingplan can place furniture and buildings
  • blueprint can record your creation in .csv files that can later be replayed by DFHack quickfort
How could we possibly augment the tools that we have to make in-game blueprint design efficient (and maybe even enjoyable)? I have a few pending tasks for the blueprint plugin in my backlog, but they're just a start. I'm sure we can come up with more ideas here. One idea is to designate digging in the standard way in-game and have a script that converts the designated tiles into "dug" tiles. Copy/paste would be very nice -- essentially something that combines blueprint and quickfort in a user-friendly way.

In your opinion, what were the most useful parts of DwarfMockup and how do you think they might be implemented with DFHack tools in a way that you'd actually want to use?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:03:02 am by myk »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2021, 02:27:36 am »

If anyone would like a sample dreamfort savegame to poke around in (fully built, >200 population), I uploaded one of my recent playthroughs to dffd: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15434

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2021, 04:51:01 am »

I've managed to make contact with the DwarfMockup dev!

First fruits: https://github.com/fredlacave/dwarfmockup
Team Bug Fix!

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2021, 10:26:44 am »

Nice! I'm glad it found a new owner. I sent you a PR, trying to get it to run, though I ran into a missing file. I think it's going to need some work overall.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2021, 04:37:04 pm »

Nice! I'm glad it found a new owner. I sent you a PR, trying to get it to run, though I ran into a missing file. I think it's going to need some work overall.

I'm very happy to say it's the original developer who's put it up, not me.
Team Bug Fix!

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:03 pm »

Oh, that's even better -- I didn't look closely at the github user icon and confused it with yours : )

I'm looking forward to dwarfmockup's revival! More tools in this space is a good thing.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:35 pm »

If anyone would like a sample dreamfort savegame to poke around in (fully built, >200 population), I uploaded one of my recent playthroughs to dffd: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15434

I can't get it to showup.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2021, 03:39:53 pm »

you mean in the DF game? the file is an archive of the region1 directory. you need to extract it in your save folder

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2021, 05:18:36 pm »

you mean in the DF game? the file is an archive of the region1 directory. you need to extract it in your save folder

For real? :P
Yeah, I know. I unzip it into the save directory after removing my own region1 and it doesn't show.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2021, 05:51:53 pm »

Hey, I've learned not to make assumptions when fielding bug reports :-) The save was made with df 0.47.05? Have you upgraded to that version yet? Also, you're sure it didn't get extracted into region1/region1 or something?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:29:25 am by myk »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29