Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #24 Feedback  (Read 26344 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #24 Feedback
« on: July 18, 2020, 12:06:26 am »

The twenty-fourth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  With Quatch's help, I think I managed to improve the audio quality a bit.  My headset still had my volume way lower, and I tried to fix that manually, which is perhaps iffy.  New headphones in the mail!  DF Talk questions are welcome!  We received one kind comment in our questions inbox (thanks Rick!) since last time, but no questions, so we didn't do a Q&A in this episode.

Um, apologies to people still working on the transcript for #23, but with Rainseeker back, we figured we'd get another one recorded, he he.  So I wouldn't expect a transcript to come together super fast on this one, especially with the myth terminology making it slightly more irritating.  Hopefully it can still be done though.

edit: JCsuper has started a transcript for this episode, post here

Transcript is up on episode page now.  Thanks JCsuper and voliol!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:08:27 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #24 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:33:01 am »

Gonna take a brief second to self advocate/plug my patreon here.  Even a dollar a month helps me out quite a bit during this chaotic, jobless era, and I have a few writing/media projects in the works that I'll be sharing once they are closer to completion.  Consider DF Talk one of those projects, and toss a coin to your Cappy!  (I am planning on buying a new microphone soon, with this money.)

Also:  I have added a Dwarf Fortress specific reward, for thems what want:  I will add your name to a pool that I will use when I play DF, and tweet any !!FUN!! that happens to you
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:08:21 am by Capntastic »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 01:24:50 am »

Excellent.

10 minutes in and people are still describing pictures of the new UI. Ha ha. This might be a lot more fun once any images have been posted.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 01:26:58 am »

Yeah, Toady's a tease because even on the frontpage bump with other pictures it's not shown at all.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 01:57:30 am »

Ha ha, I can't show them until they've had a little care taken, since they'll likely be spread around pretty widely like some of the other first-look stuff.  Sorry about the lengthy tease!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 03:18:41 am »

Oh wow, is this back? This is some mighty nostalgia! Thanks for doing the DF talk again, everyone!

(goes to listen)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:34 am »

this was entertaining to listen to and quite interesting too!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:12:05 am »

Woah, another one! Earlier this day I was thinking to myself 'I bet there will be one some week after the Premium release, to report on how that went. That will be cool.'. My expectations were clearly exceeded.

I won't take initiative for the transcript, it was/is a lot to do, and I'll have less free time/energy, especially as a new semester approaches. I can chip in though, when others have started and I'm done with the transcription of #23.

Of course, a new DF talk is lovely, I'm looking forward to listening to it :D

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 10:18:23 am »

*I'm looking forward to listening to reading it *

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 11:43:29 am »

Man, I would so love to play around with the mythgen prototype. I understand why it remains unreleased, but it would be cool.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

JCsuper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 09:39:37 pm »

Well, I've started to work on the transcript for this one. I did the first 13 minutes or so. Here's the WIP on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/p4L5unDQ

I marked down a timestamp for each of the musical interludes. If someone wants to work on a section, you can just DM me once you're done and I'll update the pastebin as soon as I can. I'll work on the section from 12:57 to 26:51 next, so don't do that one!

Edit: Transcribed up to the 27 minute mark. A link to the new pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Wc8F0A42
Going to work on 26:51-48:22 next.

Edit: Transcribed up to the 48 minute mark. Another new link:
https://pastebin.com/knW3gzmw

A couple notes:
1. Took my best guess at how to spell the generated names. Tried to make the names look like they could be a romanization of ancient Greek, mostly, as a general guideline, because Tarn said at least the deity names were generated that way during the discussion. Otherwise just what looked pleasing on the page.
2. You can DM me if something's wrong with the transcription. I did a faster and messier job on this section, so there's probably a few errors.
3. DM me if you want to transcribe part of it, or want to look over what I've done. I'll be working on the last meaty section up to approx. 1:12:09.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:55:56 am by JCsuper »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:33 pm »

Well, I've started to work on the transcript for this one. I did the first 13 minutes or so. Here's the WIP on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/p4L5unDQ

I marked down a timestamp for each of the musical interludes. If someone wants to work on a section, you can just DM me once you're done and I'll update the pastebin as soon as I can. I'll work on the section from 12:57 to 26:51 next, so don't do that one!

Edit: Transcribed up to the 27 minute mark. A link to the new pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Wc8F0A42
Going to work on 26:51-48:22 next.

Thank you for this, by the way. 

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »

Yeah, thanks!  I put a link up in the OP.

JCsuper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 10:21:33 pm »

Thank you for this, by the way.

It’s a fascinating conversation, it’s been fun to transcribe!

I’m nearly done up to the 48 minute mark but I’m not gonna be able to finish it up until after the weekend. If anyone would like to look through my transcript for errors, definitely dm me and I’ll fix it. Dedinitely could have misheard a couple things or confused who was saying certain interjections.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 12:05:45 am »

Question for the next DF Talk: Does the myth generator have the ability, however rarely (or by choice), to generate the exact CURRENT mythic system?  That is, with demons sealed under the earth by adamantine, angels in vaults guarding the names of demons, necromancers gaining the secrets of life & death who want to hatch villainous plots to generate corpses to take over the world with undead, etc, etc, etc, etc...?

More to the heart of my question... are all these current vanilla elements available to the myth gen as things that could be implemented in a world partially, or altered, or completely?  All the myths spoken of so far have used other dimensions and whatnot, but vanilla elements put stuff in THIS world, so that'd require some work to get working, I'm sure.
Pages: [1] 2