Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 19595 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Short trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=84&v=Zp44GNRzvCc&feature=emb_logo

Being made by Fatshark, the same folks who did Vermintide 1 and 2.

For those unfamiliar, the Vermintide games are the equivalent of Left 4 Dead, set in the Games Workshop's fantasy world. Massive hordes of enemies, strings of missions that deliver the overall story of the game organically, best enjoyed with friends or at least other human players.

I'll be talking a lot about Vermintide because it's pretty obvious that this is the 40k version of it, and it's probably easiest to imagine what to look forward to based on VT.

Vermintide is a largely melee focused game set in GWS fantasy universe. And it's a pretty fantastic looking and playing game (I've been playing with friends on and off since release, and have been playing pretty much nothing but it for the last three or four weeks, so it's timely this was announced today.) It's one of the best presentations of the Warhammer Fantasy IP next to like, Total Warhammer that I can think of. So it stands to reason that Darktide will be a more ranged combat focused experience.

As a fan of both fantasy and 40k, I'm really excited for this. Fatshark did an amazing job with both Vermintide games. It's easy to just sorta slap that adjective on to something you like, but the craft and detail and obvious love that went in to making Vermintide warms the cockles of my heart as a fan.

Visually, VT is gorgeous, rich and detailed with visuals that really do look like WHF stuff come to life and have never once taken me out of the game for their lack of quality or attention to detail.

It also has really high quality sound engineering and voice acting, so it delivers a great cinematic experience.

The writing in VT is also really strong, which manifests mostly in the playable characters and the sheer amount of dialog between them that they helps explain who they are and what they're about without getting in your face or getting old fast. (The kind of voice acting that, to me, you don't resent hearing over and over again. Especially when there's so much of it.) And most importantly, it actually uses the WHF world and its lore and shows both a deep understanding of it and a real appreciation for it.

The action of the game is, if not always super precise, very satisfying. I could crush rat skulls and lop off limbs and heads all day in VT, it's the kind of combat that you enjoy for its own sake rather than because it's helping you get through a game. VT is a pretty fast paced and hectic game that's usually about charging ahead into a mass of enemies to carve them up, only to get wrong footed by special enemies and overwhelmed until you get slaughtered. I imagine Darktide will probably follow the same format and I'm largely ok with that, but I wouldn't say no to a slower, tenser gameplay experience either.

All these things, brought in to my favorite IP, and WE FINALLY GET TO PLAY REGULAR ASS PEOPLE IN 40K! Someone finally had the talent and the nerve to do it instead of yet again making a game about Space Marines. (Although that would have been cool too in Fatshark's hands I think.) Plenty of reasons for me to be excited.

That said, despite the name being pretty obvious what it will be about, I'm sure there will be differences besides "now you shoot guns most of the time instead of hit stuff." I can easily see them dialing back the characterization a bit from Vermintide. (Although you can see quite clearly how they're already sketching out the personalities of the playable characters just by their posture and gestures and how they carry themselves.) A lot of what makes Vermintide a challenging game comes from its melee emphasis, so I'm looking forward to what they've cooked up for challenging ranged combat. Also looking forward to "Dark and Spoopy" stuff, because the lighting effects in Vermintide are one of the best parts of the game and exploring a dank, dark underhive with Fatshark's aesthetic sensibilities sounds very enticing indeed. As I mentioned above, people tend to plow through Vermintide maps, especially the more experienced they are with playing them. I'd be interested to see if Darktide, because of darker and more claustrophobic spaces and more ranged combatants, doesn't produce a slower, more methodical kind of gameplay than VT's frantic flailing around to save life and limb.

I also do sorta hope they get away from the "loot box" style of mission rewards and come up with something a bit more interesting. 40k doesn't really do "magic weapons" like fantasy does, so forging and yadda yadda from VT, and how kinda flat that has always been, could stand to have a lot of improvements or just be different. While playing up through VT the crafting and the random drops aren't really bad or annoying, but once you get in to high level gameplay and want specific things out of your gear, the way VT does it starts to get a little tedious and unfun. So I'd hope there's like, some weapon customization and interesting loadout choices you can make.

Or who knows, maybe there aren't going to be strongly defined characters like VT2 that are the "classes" and it will be a more generic, flexible affair. It could easily go either way.

To me there's only one sorta "big AAA-lookin" game out there in the last few years that really nailed the 40k aesthetic, which is Space Hulk: Deathwing. (It's also in the neighborhood of L4D-like horde killin' games.) It is one of the best LOOKING 40k games out there, and it delivered a lot of 40k lore and flavor via that, but didn't do as good a job presenting the 40k universe via characters or making it feel larger than the game it lived in. Fatshark did that with Vermintide I feel, and I think Darktide stands to dethrone Space Hulk: Deathwing for me as the best looking and sounding and feeling 40k game yet made. It's not really a question to me if Darktide is going to be cool and fun, but rather what form it's going to take.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:54:10 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Considering how ill-equipped the average Imperial Guardsman is to face most of the monstrosities of 40k, it should be relatively easy to make a decent horror shooter game.  The setting does however lend towards Loot Boxes: Most power ups for Imperial Guardsman come down to finding a decent weapon and keeping it.

To be authentic, that random mastercrafted bolt pistol from ancient times should have a random chance of growing a maw filled with teeth that bites off your arm and mutters murderous thoughts.  Or at least they should have a Chaos path to go along with the Order path.  Individual power versus calling upon the support of the Imperium's allies.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Well, in the announcement for Darktide that came as news for Vermintide II they mentioned that it would still be heavily melee based, but with a larger emphasis on ranged. So I guess we'll see what that means in practice.

Good news for me, anyway, since I prefer to play Kerillian as a wayfinder to get bows with 49 or 99 arrows. More shooting will be nice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was that the news announcement in Steam?

Heavily melee based makes sense I suppose, Fatshark has built their entire tech stack on that. Although I was kinda hoping for a change of pace from VT2, something closer to how L4D1 played with mostly ranged and some push shoves to earn space to fight. I dunno, was kinda hoping for like a bayonet attachment for doing melee work, because IG aren't really known for their variety of melee weapon options to begin with. It's like, a bayonet, a survival knife or blade, a chain sword, and at the extreme upper end, a power fist or sword. Meanwhile, there's dozens of different potential guns to use.

As I said above, if it's basically just a copy of VT2 for the 40k universe, I wouldn't be mad at all but I'd like them to try some different things. For example, grenades are a pretty big part of 40k combat and it'd be a little weird to have the same "You have one health item slot, one grenade slot, one potion (drug) slot)" in this. It'd work but I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity if it was just a straight carbon copy of VT2's systems.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:24:26 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

The wording of the announcement was
We’re sticking with what we know. A co-op game first and foremost, with the same tight melee combat that not only are we proud of but also that we’re known for. However, we’ll be giving ranged combat more complexity of its own to really bring it up to par with the hands on stuff. Our hope is that we can really deliver on some truly hybrid combat that’s both accessible yet boasts a high skill ceiling, offering the same opportunity for mastery regardless of whether you’ve got a lasgun or a chainsword in your hands.

So it sounds like melee won't be too different, but they're doing more stuff with ranged combat. I expect it'll probably be somewhere between Vermintide and L4D2 on the spectrum of melee vs. ranged.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

trailer: "wishlist now"

goddamn I hate that. fishing for interest with a cheap ass trailer showing zero interactive gameplay always smells, especially when bringing guardsman in a game that's mostly melee

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could be worse. Could have had a preorder up already. Which is a far worse and less honest way of gauging interest than just asking Steam how many people have it wishlisted.

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

trailer: "wishlist now"

goddamn I hate that. fishing for interest with a cheap ass trailer showing zero interactive gameplay always smells, especially when bringing guardsman in a game that's mostly melee

Could be worse. Could have had a preorder up already. Which is a far worse and less honest way of gauging interest than just asking Steam how many people have it wishlisted.

ninjin is right - as a developer it's an important analytical tool in this age of game publication to be able to gauge interest in the project you are developing - for many reasons both developmental and PR related. nenjin is also right (in my opinion), wishlisting is a hell of a lot more ethical than preorders based on a cinematic teaser trailer. It costs you nothing to wishlist and you can easily remove it later on.

riki-tiki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I used to play this game. Are there any new releases now?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

I used to play this game. Are there any new releases now?
They give alpha access to spambots?  :o

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Clearly, they are from the future.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently killing rats and swamp people in Vermintide 2, off and on. 
Reckon I'll give this a try when it comes out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

It looks interesting. I hope they broaden the enemies beyond plague zombies. Would these be Guardsmen or Inquisitional Stormtroopers/Tempestus Scions?

I also hope they have a nice variety of environments. One of the downsides of the W40k games is they tend to all be set in industrial or ship settings. With how big these places are it makes sense but having some places set in a jungle or high class noble estates and the like would be neat.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks interesting. I hope they broaden the enemies beyond plague zombies. Would these be Guardsmen or Inquisitional Stormtroopers/Tempestus Scions?

From the sounds of it....you're actual Penal Troopers. (Some text bit somewhere I read addressed you as "convicts.") Which is pretty fitting for 40k and why they'd be willing to send in a recon team and expect them to be expendable. Sounds like you're a team formed by an Interrogator seconded to an Inquisitor. So rather than a crack team of hand picked storm troopers or w/e, you're former Guardsmen pulled from some Penal Colony on short notice.

Might also add weight to the idea that the playable characters are faceless mooks rather than strongly drawn characters like the Vermintide cast.

I also hope they have a nice variety of environments. One of the downsides of the W40k games is they tend to all be set in industrial or ship settings. With how big these places are it makes sense but having some places set in a jungle or high class noble estates and the like would be neat.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be cool to fight UP a Hive Spire in to the noble areas. While it's true 40k can tend to have a same-y-ness problem with the environments, with how lush the detail in Vermintide is, I'm thinking they have a good grasp how to do variety even within such a monolithic area like a hive.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:29:39 am by nenjin »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Guards.

Quote this or I'll commissar you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18