Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 19738 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Title needs updating. September release has been pushed to November.

But if you're desperate to play, signups for testing are now open on the official website.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

They want a link to your Steam profile as part of signing up, which I found a bit unusual.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The second wave of closed Beta invites are going out. (Couple friends of mine already got their's, I didn't get ssssshhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt.)

Closed Beta round 2 starts the 14th.

So if you registered last time and didn't get accepted, give your email a lookee-loo.

There being a closed beta implies there'll be an Open Beta perhaps. Not gonna lie I'm a bit salty I don't have an invite, but largely I'm ok just waiting for full release to experience it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 11:35:46 am by nenjin »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

If you missed out on the beta you can try requesting access to it on the Steam page.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

I'm honestly fed up with Darktide at this point.
I appreciate them taking the time they need to release a quality product. But after repeated and lengthy delays, then they expect us to jump through hoops just to partake in an unfinished product for a very short time frame? They can't even arrange for people who already paid for the game to get a guaranteed spot in the tests, we just have to fill out multiple forms and then hope that we win the lottery?

Nope. Imma just wait for the actual release. Until then, my hype for this game is dead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh. Was going to preorder the game anyways. So I just went ahead and did so, requested Beta access last night through Steam, got it around 4pm today. Preload took like 10 minutes.

I get the frustration but also, betas aren't for most people. I was honestly ok not getting access previously because beta access has often detracted from my appreciation of the final product. It's an unavoidable side effect of watching sausage get made.

I know you know what betas are like. But it'll probably be 3 days of failures to connect to the server, inability to join your own friends for mysterious reasons, disconnects once you're in game, shitty framerates on acceptable hardware and crashes. Just like every MP beta ever. I seriously doubt they're equipped to handle the amount of logins and connects they're going to get. I think there's an order of magnitude more hype for DT2 than VT2, so they're probably going to experience the same shock lots of games do when they let the public in en masse for the first time. But, that's why you have betas.

A friend said they read it's going live around 4am EST on Friday, so that's probably their attempt to stagger the North American logins.

So I think you're better off waiting for full release.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 06:14:15 pm by nenjin »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I think your friend might have been looking at the Pacific time. From what I've seen its going live at 7 AM EST.

Personally I'm hoping Darktide turns out well, but I'm not sure I'll even be able to run the game so I haven't been highly anticipating it coming out to be fed up by it at this point.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Well I played a couple of matches of the beta this morning and I'm more hyped for the game. Played the sharpshooter veteran and was having a lot of fun blasting away at chaos with my lasgun. I wasn't having a lot of connection or performance issues but I also had all the settings on low. I might try to up some settings now that I know my computer can handle the game.

My main complaint at this point is that shooting grey metal enemies against grey metal walls in the dark can be quite annoying, but thankfully the environments manage to avoid that in some of the rooms. The specials don't feel like they stand out as much as Vermintide's do, but that's only after an hour of play, and it feels like its inherently easier to make special fantasy rats stand out than sci-fi chaos specials. Outside of dogs, they're all humanoids with more lights than normal, although I'm starting to distinguish mutants and bombers. Using my special more would probably also help since it highlights them, but I keep forgetting I have one.

Really enjoying the gameplay and atmosphere. Had a classic online teammate moment where another teammate ran around with an ammo pack for most of the level without ever actually dropping it for the ammo hungry sharpshooter.

Edit: Hopped in again before lunch and started hitting a lot more issues. I tried the ogryn and got a couple of server disconnects in the hub, generally had worse FPS, especially around hordes, and had a mission where the next phase of the mission didn't trigger, leaving us stuck in an elevator. Curious if the server load is bigger later on in the day and that's the problem.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:48:16 am by Persus13 »
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My friend played this morning and largely had the same comments. Gameplay is fun, gunplay feels good, there's dips in FPS when hordes spawn, the environments have a sameyness problem compared to VT2, some finales don't seem to end like they expected.

I predict performance and stability will tank once people start getting off of work in the US.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 01:29:08 pm by nenjin »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's 40 minutes / 3 missions of beta footage (with some editing) here.

More or less matches the above praise and criticisms. I'd also dare to suggest that going with customizable generics loses some of the character compared to the VT cast, but each approach has its own pluses and minuses.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Finale ending in bugs or ending in a surprising way? I'd say two of the missions had endings that made sense, and the third I wasn't paying attention to the briefing enough to know what the goal was.

Hive city being less varied than farms, woods, forts, towns, frozen wastes, and underground skaven tunnels is definitely something I was expecting. The industrial factory mission/map is probably the most different of the available maps/missions at this point? I felt like CG:Daemonhunters had a similar problem, so I blame the setting for that one.

More or less matches the above praise and criticisms. I'd also dare to suggest that going with customizable generics loses some of the character compared to the VT cast, but each approach has its own pluses and minuses.
Yeah that's about how I feel about the custom characters vs. iconics. Kerullian, Saltzpyre and crew weren't amazing characters, but they allowed voice lines to be more tailored to the characters. Whereas my personally named and customized character is cool, but they're never going to be named by a voice line, just called veteran or ogryn.

The character creation having special options for Cadians is a nice touch though, and so is being able to play with an all ogryn party. Pluses and minuses for sure.
Sigtext

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I was thinking in terms of the endings being a bit underwhelming; the VT1 & 2 missions largely felt like they had more impactful ending sequences for missions, but maybe it's just the difference of playing it v. watching it.

While it certainly did have its faults (it has some positives too) I think the semi-recent Hired Gun showed you can have a pretty good variety of level types within a hive city setting.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I've been meaning to grab Hired Gun on sale.

VT1 and 2 had some impactful endings yeah, but a lot just felt like "you did the thing now run to the cart/portal now."

Having just beaten the assassination mission that bugged out on me last time I tried it, I was a bit surprised the mission just ends at the last objective instead of having you run for the exit.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, short answer is, the game is good and I'm enjoying it a lot.

The reason I'm here saying it though is logging in is currently busted. So there's that.

And it definitely has that beta feel. Lots important stuff missing like mouse sensitivity, keys not being recognized for binding, settings and keybindings resetting every time you close the game. The default low graphics setting the game put me at turned a ton of stuff off, to the point I was questioning wtf with how bad the game looked. I had to go into some graphics settings so it didn't look like an unaliased mess.

Performance wise though, it's doing better than I expected. Nothing optimization can't fix I think. So it performs pretty well for me even on a 1000 Series card.

And it "feels" right. It's got the right heft that made VT2 so enjoyable, the guns feel good. They managed to make the Lasgun, the least sexy weapon in 40k to me, feel great to use. If the game has one problem I think (and surely it has more) it's a readability problem. Specials are hard to pick out from a crowd unless they're big. That's probably just because all this is new, but between the environments, the lighting and the look of enemies, picking out priority ones is kinda tough.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 12:53:23 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18