Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 19168 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

nay ser
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I AM A FREE MAN
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Quote from: Inquisitor Czevak
You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honorable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood.
- address to the Council of Ryanti
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Inquisitor Czevak
You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honorable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood.
- address to the Council of Ryanti

Khornite: "Oh neat I happen to have a lot of the latter"
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darktide. Yes, 40k fans, you finally get to play an Imperial Guardsmen
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 07:50:00 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UifdRoC8I

"Gameplay" trailer.

My thoughts in no particular order:

-Man it looks slower than Vermintide. Maybe not in a good way.

-Liking the character diversity. Personal favorite is the Asian female version of Saltzpyr who is double dosin' that holy rage. Ogryn is a hilarious choice contrasted to Bardin in Vermintide.

-I suppose I'm happier with the environments I saw than I thought I was going to be. It's still 40k: monolithic. Industrial. Grey. Kinda samey. Unlike Vermintide which is brilliantly colorful and has quite a few varied environments. But I saw some variety in the trailer so maybe they'll do 40k "right" instead of just stamp moulding everything from the same dozen rivets and skulls.

-Guns look incredibly ineffective. Not surprised, they said it would be melee focused. But there's one shot of the Ogryn clubbing some guys, and then he finishes the last with a shot from his ripper gun?, and my Vermintide player brain went "that shot was completely unnecessary."

-The "Master of Mankind" litany gave me goosebumps.

-I'm ready for this. But it clearly needs a lot of work still.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »

I don't know about the guns, they mostly seemed to be one-shoting stuff, especially if to the head. I expect limited ammo will be the big issue with that.

Looks fun overall, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:05 pm »

I dunno. In VT for the most part, ranged weapons are reserved for elite and special enemies, not the riff raff trash horde. So when I saw some rather conservative shooting at what look like horde guys, kinda led me to make my comment. I expected a bit more spray and pray on all fronts.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 11:00:06 pm »

In VT for the most part, ranged weapons are reserved for elite and special enemies, not the riff raff trash horde.

Try telling that to Bardin's gatling gun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 11:15:36 pm »

(It's not that great.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 01:31:54 am »

I mean, yes, but then I have also seen people in VT just kinda shooting at everything for fun. And it looked about as effective as that.

Maybe ammo will be more common? Or the ability to fire about as much as Kerillian's waystalker does? Shooting riff-raff when you have 100 stack of ammo isn't nearly as much of a big deal.

I do agree that I'd like to see 'shoot stuff' be overall more common when you're running around with las rifles than with crossbows and black powder weapons like you get in Vermintide.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 10:58:48 am »

I would also prefer that. But the tension of ammo scarcity in VT2 for everyone but Kerillian, some Saltzpyr builds, a couple Bardin weapons and Outcast Engineer is generally the rule.

Also, just as someone with like 600 hours in VT2....on Legend people that spend their ammo shooting trash tend to be bad players. Kerillian is pretty much the only exception to that.

There was like one weapon in the DT trailer (probably an autogun) where I was like "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about." But having to hit a horde trash mob 3 to 4 times to kill them when there are 30 of them on the screen.....well, we'll see. This is still pretty obviously early work.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2020, 11:05:06 am »

I was hoping that the lasgun would look more satisfying than that. It sort of just looked like a gun, but with a red muzzle flash.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »

Well, the whole advantage of a Lasgun is its unlimited ammo.  You just need a campfire every so often to recharge the cells.

It's also supposed to be the ultimate mook shooter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »

The pace of the game looked reasonably weighty and satisfying to me, slow but heavy, and I do like the general look of things, not just the graphics but the way things are presented, but man, something about moving backwards and attacking while a bunch of things run at you just sucks the life out of me.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 09:42:47 pm »

I agree. If I have to be running away from the thing in fighting, at least give me a gun out my arse so I don't have to run backwards
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18