Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 19169 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Darktide. Yes, 40k fans, you finally get to play an Imperial Guardsmen
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 10:55:00 pm »

Fighting while backing up is pretty common in VT2. On the higher difficulties the hordes are large, dense and each guy has more HP. They turn into walls you can't break through consistently, or like some kind of tide....so you have to retreat as you fight until enough have been slain you can start making headway. So it didn't strike me as weird, it was just "yep, that looks like Vermintide combat." Even the hammer the Zealot uses in the video, its attacks are a carbon copy of the 2 handed hammer in VT2.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 07:55:39 am »

That's how I've always had to do it in the Left4Dead-likes (including Vermintide) and that's the reason I don't like it.

Hell even Mount & Blade footpad combat is like that and that's the reason I always play mounted. It's just so completely undignified. I wish a game where you have to do that could decently capture the feeling of slowly retreating with my face to the enemy rather than panickedly running blind with my back towards where I'm stepping.
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 08:09:33 am »

idk I got a nice doom eternal feel from the combat presented. we know jack shit of the balance tho, this kind of videos are usually captured with god mode on or the closest scripted equivalent.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 09:35:41 am »

I saw playable ogryn and I wishlisted.

Brothers, I am hyped here

I sadly have never gotten around to playing VT2 yet (I have it, just haven't played), but I spent a fair amount of time screaming at violently spinning rat-ogres in the first Vermintide. I expect Fatshark will completely beans up the first several public builds of this new -tide, with incredibly sketchy gameplay and violent crashes.

And I'll still buy and play the thing, because I'm still going to enjoy myself.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »

That's how I've always had to do it in the Left4Dead-likes (including Vermintide) and that's the reason I don't like it.

Hell even Mount & Blade footpad combat is like that and that's the reason I always play mounted. It's just so completely undignified. I wish a game where you have to do that could decently capture the feeling of slowly retreating with my face to the enemy rather than panickedly running blind with my back towards where I'm stepping.

Mount and Blade is also bad for it yes.  It's a weird thing and I'm particular about it, but I guess it does seem like it bothers other people, but a lot of video games that use large numbers of enemies have AI that's basically zombies, and you get what should be intelligent opponents just moving in a coherent mass towards you and you have to backpedal while shooting or meleeing them to avoid getting swarmed.  I can sort of get past it if it's actually zombies, but a lot of times I find it annoying and it takes me out of the game.
Shoes...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 11:02:23 pm »

To be fair in Vermintide its mostly disposable skaven.

This time around it looks like, crazy chaos cultists? Not sure how smart they're supposed to be.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2020, 12:35:22 am »

Mount and Blade is also bad for it yes.  It's a weird thing and I'm particular about it, but I guess it does seem like it bothers other people, but a lot of video games that use large numbers of enemies have AI that's basically zombies, and you get what should be intelligent opponents just moving in a coherent mass towards you and you have to backpedal while shooting or meleeing them to avoid getting swarmed.  I can sort of get past it if it's actually zombies, but a lot of times I find it annoying and it takes me out of the game.

In VT2, enemies actively move to surround you if you let them.  But that is mostly due to the slotting system.  Either way, you learn to at least glance around you while giving space.  Situational awareness drastically increases survival chances.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2020, 01:05:47 am »

It will also spawn additional guys behind you, if not in and around spawn points around or above you, then just directly in behind you. It tries to breed paranoia about not checking your 6 every few seconds, and penalizes groups that don't cover each other by sending one or two guys at your blind spots fairly frequently. Back is usually the safest direction to move so you're constantly relocating all your opponents to where you can pay attention to them.

I hope the Ogryn has other melee options than just a knife. While it may be effectively a sword, it'd be nice to wield stupidly big weapons much like the enemies you face in VT2 get to wield against you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 06:11:04 am »

it'd be nice to wield stupidly big weapons much like the enemies you face

Yes, I too am supportive of this idea to pick up our enemies and smack other enemies with them

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 11:10:26 am »

I expect a mix of weapons will be normal for most of the characters. After all, there is a pretty big variety of weapons for all the characters in VT.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 02:53:52 pm »

I want a game that blows my arm off when i fire a plasma gun.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 03:09:23 pm »

Seems like you'd only be able to play that game twice.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Week of Skulls (the GWS promoted event where game using their license have a week of STUFF) is just a few days away.

Fatshark has been releasing a series of countdown videos. With release in September, and a recent Edge magazine interview, most are sure that this is the start of the info dumps.

In the article, they talked about a few different things. I haven't dug deep on it yet but the standout thing was customizable characters. There's archetypes, like the Ogryn, the Guardsmen, the Zealot and the Psyker. But instead of being fixed personalities and looks like in VT, they'll be customizable. In addition to the usual Fatshark RPG elements like which weapon loadout you use, you'll be able to choose their gender and details. So like, helmet, no helmet. Aquila forehead tattoos. Female Guardsmen/Male Guardsmen. (Not sure if there are female Ogryns.....) The way your armor looks. It implies as well that there's no fixed team compositions. If you wanna run 4 Ogryns, run 4 Ogryns.

Not a ton is known to me about the Psyker, other than they'll basically function like Sienna from VT2. Except the "overheat bar" is now "Perils of the Warp."

One new feature though that I'm not wild about....overshields. Sorta like most other FPS, you'll have a regenerating shield over your health bar. The stated reason for it is, in a game with enemies that have guns, they felt it would be too unfair to have them constantly chipping away at player health. So the overshield is there to compensate, making seeking cover and letting your shields regen a feature of gameplay. On the one hand, it'll slow encounters down a little and I like that. But on the other, it's a very familiar mechanic from lots of other shooters, AND I don't really like it from a lore perspective. Shield-tech in 40k games is rather high end, it's not something your garden variety guardsmen or even stormtrooper would have.

So I'd be expecting a lot of Darktide news coming in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 04:33:01 pm by nenjin »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Ironically, it's the Zealot that would most likely have the shield, aka Rosarium.

Psychers can also create a mind shield.

Guardsman use Armor only. Carapace armor is at least marginally effective.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Ogryn's just too stupid to realize they should've been hurt.

On that topic, I think they should have the male/female option for ogryns too. ...just, don't actually change anything.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18