Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 20145 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins!
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2022, 02:20:47 pm »

Staff quelling is generally fine if you've got a competent team, yeah, though the perk doesn't make too much of a difference there (granted, it's still better than the other perk choices). More than force sword where the lack of passive quell hurts.

The Weapon Special on the Force sword works as long as you don't back out of range too far after it connects. The blade has to hit then you have to wait about 1 second before he does the little palm gesture.

Ah, that probably explains it. I juke, dodge, dive, and wiggle frantically in a given melee.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2022, 03:24:42 pm »

You can still side dodge and circle strafe while the Force Sword is planted. Just can't get back too far.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2022, 10:11:30 pm »

Just played through Heresy 4 with my friends on a Rank 7 Zealot. Didn't even break a sweat. The way they handle in combat is a night and day difference to Veteran and Psyker.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2022, 10:24:45 pm »

On a more positive note, goodness this soundtrack is up there with Mechanicus for best 40k IP game OSTs. Most of the tracks really fit the gameplay, with the auspex mission theme being the only major outlier (in my pub experience it's almost invariably the most difficult, and yet the little ditty is much less intense than the others, hah).

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2022, 07:50:31 am »

I've been having an absolute blast with this game after a friend bought it for me.

My only real vicious unhappiness with the game is the fact that you sometimes can't switch weapons during the start of some animations, making it hard to quickswap say, as psyker after you force-blast (which auto-swaps you to brain pop, which is really not what I want in most situations where I'm using force push)

Lunging into elites with a force sword special stab is unimaginably satisfying to connect.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2022, 08:26:35 am »

Just played through Heresy 4 with my friends on a Rank 7 Zealot. Didn't even break a sweat. The way they handle in combat is a night and day difference to Veteran and Psyker.

I've only played Zealot so far (still very early game). It plays like a hot combat axe through heretic butter
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2022, 02:53:16 pm »

Okay, my Zealot found a hammer with decent stats and I decided to give it another chance. I'm coming around.
I still hate how slow and clumsy the hammer is when trying to deal with hordes. But against monstrosities and daemons, hammer is absolutely broken. Charged heavy blows chunk around 20% of their health per swing, ending the fight in mere seconds.

Meanwhile my Psyker has gone back to lightning staff. Voidstrike is good for clearing hordes, but the lvl 30 perk which sets pushed enemies on fire is so much better. Voidstrike just doesn't get used when I can clear entire rooms of scabs and dregs with one button.
The lightning staves ability to stop hounds, bursters, and mutants in their tracks is just way too handy. Also I regain Toughness by purging peril, so lightning staves ability to quickly gain peril actually becomes a boon. I can walk into a group of elites, zap them a couple of times to fill my peril, then dive in with my rapier while they are stunned and trust that if I do get hit, it will be recovered by my naturally purging peril.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2022, 03:41:25 pm »

Did they patch the Hammer? Last I knew it was doing like.....8% extra damage on a headshot, demonstrated by someone in the Psykhanium. It seemed so woefully underpowered against lighter enemies that all it really did was knock them behind you so you could either spin around to finish them...or get stabbed in the back.

It's been kind of eye-opening playing a Zealot. I've been going into Heresy way under ranked and taking out elites and specials with an axe. And it's weird how my survivability overall seems way higher playing zealot, even though it's ostensibly the class taking more risks than Vet or Psyker. Dunno why, but everything feels faster and smoother on zealot. But as soon as I swapped to the Catachan sword, I suddenly felt weak and fragile. It may just be the axe delivers that hard.

Also I had a moment of pure, undistilled rage at the game last night. We were just starting an auspex scan on Heresy when a pack of las rifles spawned pretty much right in front of me. I immediately backed off and sought cover, but they all opened up on me. Toughness instantly vaped. So I keep dodging, keep trying to get to cover. Meanwhile, I see my teammates around me dealing with horde and what not....and the las squad just KEEPS targeting me. They finally down me.

Then to add insult to injury, once I'm rezzed and we call the elevator, a sniper spawns. And since we had a grim and I had one wound left....guess who the AI decided to target?

I swear there is predatory behavior among the AI, where ranged spawns and specials will preferentially target the weakest person. Whoever is lowest on toughness or health, the AI seems to make a beeline for them. Particularly with Pox Burster spawns.

It's happened to me enough that I seriously think that's the case. It's not like Vermintide AI wasn't predatory....but it also didn't spawn whole squads of guys with perfect aim that could strip your health and/or toughness off you with a single attack.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:25:46 pm by nenjin »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2022, 03:59:48 pm »

But as soon as I swapped to the Catachan sword, I suddenly felt weak and fragile.

That was your first and last mistake.

More seriously, the catachan sword is just terrible. The only real thing it has going for it is a large stamina bar for blocking, which...

It's happened to me enough that I seriously think that's the case. It's not like Vermintide AI wasn't predatory....but it also didn't spawn whole squads of guys with perfect aim that could strip your health and/or toughness off you with a single attack.

There's been a few videos floating about of enemy sniper shenanigans, including instagibbing a grimoire-holder in the moment between everyone getting in the escape craft and the exit screen.

I've had a few rude experience of turning a corner only to find a dozen ranged enemies milling about 10 feet away, whereupon they open up and basically vaporize me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2022, 04:13:24 pm »

More seriously, the catachan sword is just terrible. The only real thing it has going for it is a large stamina bar for blocking, which...

It's an anti-horde weapon. Which generally in Tide games, are my preference because the hordes are really the things that kill you.

But DT has so many additional elites and specials that single target feels more appropriate here.

But yeah, taking an underpowered horde weapon into Heresy, you're going to feel the pain. The Axe barely seems to notice it since it doesn't care about armor at all, so it's really just the raw HP differences. Which come out to.....one or two additional swings.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2022, 04:17:35 pm »

Eh, for psyker at least I prefer knives or chainswords (or even the force sword!) over the catachan sword. The animation is slow for the damage, the combo is meh, it struggles against even basic carapace armor enemies...

In other news, Fatshark released a teaser thingy that... well I dunno, says basically nothing and is meant to generate hype about probably a weekend event. They're also aiming/hoping to release a first 'response to the community' thing later this week.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2022, 04:23:54 pm »

I've had a few rude experience of turning a corner only to find a dozen ranged enemies milling about 10 feet away, whereupon they open up and basically vaporize me.

That's the moment to run forward, not back. If you can close the distance and get close enough they switch to melee, and you can manage their melee attacks much more effectively. If you see their muzzle flash before you get close enough, just slide safely under their bullets.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2022, 04:30:34 pm »

There's usually also a horde amongst them, hah. But yeah, I'm not an expert at the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2022, 04:59:00 pm »

I swear I heard "Khorne" mentioned in that vox recordings. Probably wasn't, but man how wild would it be for them to introduce another God in some capacity already?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2022, 06:19:20 pm »

I swear I heard "Khorne" mentioned in that vox recordings. Probably wasn't, but man how wild would it be for them to introduce another God in some capacity already?

That would be surprising, but I'd be down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18