Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M2 Deployment  (Read 9383 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Ramshackle Titans
Mech/Organic Side Thread
Core Thread

Preliminary Phase One - Tech Type

With the age and diversity of the galaxy comes a wide scatter of the bases of technology that its inhabitants use, and this is very very much true in both the Jumble and Sommet Sectors. There are empires (petty or not) and many less imperial states of high technology, energy and steel -- and there are many of magic, constructs firing spells at each other. There are many, too, of giant living beings with toxins and barbs and acids. And there are those who sit between two of these categories, fusing them in varying levels of harmony and disharmony.

What do you fit into?

Mech represents those things built through engineering and probably through science, "mundane" technology whether that be steampunk clockwork machinery, or some sort of high-tech high-energy intricate technology. You don't have to be hard sci-fi here, though you can if you'd like, but choosing your empire to be a Mech empire means that you're building mecha based on high tech and engineering and all of that good stuff. As long as you're avoiding magic (or psionics etc I guess) and biotech, pretty much anything you can think of that has to do with technology can fit here.

Magic represents the supernatural, innate abilities given codified and usually ritualized form. When I was thinking up the tech categories, I was definitely thinking golem-style constructs for this sort of thing, but I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to provide limitations -- if you can think up ways other than that to have equipment slinging spells and magical sorts of things in general, they're acceptable. I'll note something specific here: while you can't go full magi-tek here, that doesn't mean you're forbidden from treating things in even slightly technical ways. The modularity of the system means that you're concretely dealing with equipment and gear, after all -- this just changes what that gear is composed of. (Of course, if you want to go full flowery hippie magic stuff not treated as technical in the slightest, you absolutely can.) Things like psionics and superpowers, if you can find a way to fit them into this game's context, would also go here.

Organic represents biotech -- giant fighting animals, or some of the horrific creatures you might find in Resident Evil, or carefully mutated living technology like Star Wars' Expanded Universe's Yuuzhan Vong would be examples of things you could find here. Although you can absolutely make Organic Titans giant living beings, that doesn't have to be the case. It could be a collection of various living beings on a frame made in some organic way, or can even be something that isn't alive but functions through a sort of semi-biotech. Being purely Organic just means that you're not using a large degree of non-organic, mechanical technology, and that you're not using explicitly magical things in the construction and operation of your Titans. There's a lot of leeway here, like with the other tech types.

Mech/Magic is where combinations of Mech and Magic come in, obviously enough. This would be the place for hard magitek sorts of things, pretty obviously enough, but more goofy combinations of Gundam shit and psychic shit would be an option as well, as would the superpower-driven mad comic book supervillain creations where people with superpowers shoot fire out of it or fuckery like that. (Incorporating these into pilots would... well, it'd have to happen through normal trait acquisition).

Organic/Mech would most obviously be some sort of cyborg shit -- living beings with mechanical equipment and weaponry weaved throughout them, etcetera. But other combinations of things would work out as well, like doing Umbrella Corporation shit WITH a lot of weaponry, or modular organic things on a mechanical frame, etcetera etcetera. I admit that my own imagination is failing me a little here, but I figure some of you could have a lot of interesting ideas. AIs in giant flesh suits is another example that just came to mind.

Magic/Organic is a pretty weird category, and a lot of possibilities come to mind here. Maybe you have giant necromantic horrible zombie Titans, maybe you've summoned archons from a heaven dimension or some shit, or maybe it's giant god damned wizards or something. Maybe it's some druids making giant golems but also putting plants and animals throughout their structure. Stuff like that. Really, go wild, you'd just have to avoid going for more traditional sci-fi sorts of tech things.

My philosophy here is to create a very soft sci-fi sort of base (even if you're Mech!) that allows for extremely unique sides with extremely unique aesthetics to pop up and be developed over time -- that's an inspiration I took from GalactiRace, even more than I took the mount sizes idea from GalRace. For that reason, as long as you avoid crossing hard over into any category you haven't selected, I intend to levy very few restrictions on what you guys end up doing. I wanna see you use your creativity, but if you go for "hard" sci-fi sorts of things, I wouldn't be disappointed with that, either! I'm just looking forward to seeing what what you choose evolved into.

One important note: choosing a combination of two tech types is not inherently superior to choosing only one. Although this choice is mostly here for the aesthetic, there is an early-game tradeoff between choosing one tech type and choosing two. Choosing one tech type means that your starting experience is pretty limited to the tech type you chose, and it'll take a bit more work to break into using the other two tech types effectively, but that you'll only need the one Scrap type to do repair and Blueprints. Choosing two tech types gives you experience into breaking into two different fields but I will hold you to the combination. This means your starting Titan's parts will all be composed of both tech types, and repair for all but the lightest damage will be costing Scrap of both tech types. Starting Blueprints will also be harder (but not impossible) to do in purely one tech type if you choose two, with combining them being the easiest course of action.

Quote from: Tech Type Votebox
Mech: (0)
Magic: (0)
Organic: (0)
Mech/Magic: (0)
Mech/Organic: (0)
Magic/Organic: (0)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:32:18 pm by Powder Miner »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Side Two Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:02:03 pm »

Mech: (1) Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 06:03:07 pm »

Magic: (1) Frostgiant

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 06:09:19 pm »

Mech: (1) Taricus, Mech.
[/quote]

For the Mecha Comrades!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 06:38:47 pm »

Mech: (2) Taricus, TricMagic
Mech/Organic: (1) Unraveller

See you not the value in the blending of man and machine? Not mere, foolish dependency as flawed humanoids of varying skill interface physically with their Titans. No, the total fusion there of, no lag time, no failings of the body most frail, a true union.

The next evolution.

A singularity.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:46:26 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 07:35:40 pm »

Mech/Organic: (2) Unraveller, NG

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:32 pm »

Mech/Organic: (3) Unraveller, NG Frostgiant

Death before dishonour Pure Mech!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »

Mech/Organic: (3) Unraveller, NG Frostgiant

Death before dishonour Pure Mech!

That's just it though, you will die organic filth. We will remain pure and immortal.

As an idea, can we choose to be a machine-race? More Purity.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:50:32 pm by TricMagic »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:42 pm »

Why not mortals becoming a machine race? Taking their nascent steps into a new era.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:57:59 pm by Unraveller »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 07:56:06 pm »

Don't just make cybernetic diniosaurs, Be the cybernetic dinosaur

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 01:05:00 am »

Mech/Organic: (4) Unraveller, NG, Frostgiant, Doomblade
[/quote]
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 05:40:51 am »

Mech/Organic: (5) Unraveller, NG, Frostgiant, Doomblade, Cronos5010
[/quote]
My preferred aesthetic is machine race infested by organic material, or biotitan forcibly enhanced with metal armor and a control scheme built into the brain.
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 07:03:43 am »

Tarcius, want to go see what side 1 is voting. It seems this side is lost to us.

Mech/Organic: (5) Unraveller, NG, Frostgiant, Doomblade, Cronos5010

Switching to Side 1.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:02:43 am by TricMagic »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 10:59:24 am »

Convergence, to become that which is a Titan. Tis the greatest of all honors; hardened steel of tubing and cables pumping thine lifeblood through the capillaries of the MACHINE. Everliving lightning arcing the synapses of thy brain matter, pulsing, signaling the striated muscles banding each and every piston-like bone of the MACHINE. Hear the beat of thy atomic heart, herald of evolution, herald of the MACHINE.

Be one with us.

Become the future.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 11:26:04 am »

Convergence, to become that which is a Titan. Tis the greatest of all honors; hardened steel of tubing and cables pumping thine lifeblood through the capillaries of the MACHINE. Everliving lightning arcing the synapses of thy brain matter, pulsing, signaling the striated muscles banding each and every piston-like bone of the MACHINE. Hear the beat of thy atomic heart, herald of evolution, herald of the MACHINE.

Be one with us.

Become the future.

No.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10