Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M2 Deployment  (Read 9376 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M1 Mission Choice
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2020, 11:14:55 am »

Two: the safe play, and I don't know what we'd do with magitech scrap.
Quote from: Votebox
Mission
2: (3) m1895, Rockeater, ConscriptFive

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M1 Mission Choice
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2020, 11:21:49 am »

"But Lanre, they're offering two Mark 7 Crown Sapphire Hardlight Shotguns! Mark 7! That's, like, my favourite number!"
Sorry, princess. While the rewards for mission 3 are obviously the most valuable, it is also the most dangerous mission- really the only one with a risk of failure, which would mean no rewards at all, plus damage, putting us at a net loss. We can't risk that on turn (or month) one.
Client
Captain Gregory McNabb: (4) m1895, Rockeater, ConscriptFive, NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:49:54 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M1 Design And Revision
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2020, 04:30:31 pm »

Month One -- Design and Revision Phase

Once again, Lanre Adebayo was in the bridge with Marcellino, sitting at a chair at his card table, one arm hung over the back to give off a "casual and in control" air. But this time, there were three major differences.

First, there was a screen up on the wall, which Lanre was facing, and on that screen was the face of a white guy who looked to be in his early 30s - just about Lanre's age, actually. The man had a stolid but fierce set to his face, something somewhat accentuated by his red hair, kept neat as it was. This was Captain Gregory McNabb, the client - just a junior officer like him, Lanre realized, but at least enough of an important guy to be a player on the local scene. Hell, though... that was about to be an apt descriptor for Lanre himself, wasn't it? It kind of blew his mind that he was actually going to be dealing on a peer basis with some of his clients even as it. He wasn't sure if that spoke well of him and the others running the Retinue, or poorly of Chopta... maybe both.

The second major difference was that there was an assault rifle sitting out on the table, something Lanre had put out to help bolster the image of the Retinue, to make them look like hardened fighters (which, to be fair, they were, or at least the survivors were), in a way that a blank fucking card table maybe, Lanre suddenly reflected, wouldn't.

The third major difference, completely ruining all of that image work, as half-assed as it was, was that there was a fifteen-year-old standing behind him, crossing her arms, looking imperious, and very clearly expecting to do much of the speaking, something that had Marcellino (just out of camera) with his face in his hands. "Hail. You stand in the presence of Princess Rivalla of the Kingdom of the Unrivalled Archaeologist! This is my retinue -in full, Princess Rivalla's Grand Biomechanical Retinue- and we have chosen to grace this sector with our presence, to provide a guiding hand in these times of trouble! We have elected to offer you our services for now - will you introduce yourself as befits a royal?"

For several seconds, a silence reigned in the bridge and on the other end of the communication, with Marcellino slowly beginning to tense up until he was trembling ever-so-slightly. Lanre, on the other hand, simply leaned forward, elbow on the table, and declared: "I'm Lanre Adebayo, executive officer." in a tone that emphasized that he was not in fact just the executive officer.

The man on the other screen sighed, and then pulled a flask from somewhere on his side of the screen. "Well, beggars can't be choosers, I suppose." (Lanre didn't so much as flinch, while Rivalla visibly curdled.) "Right, well, ladies and gentlemen, this is the situation." The red-haired man leaned one elbow against the side of his cockpit - it appeared he was transmitting from a (fully mechanical) Titan cockpit, something that was perhaps something of a primitive notion to any Titan pilot of the Kingdom. "My name is, of course, Captain Gregory McNabb. I'm Fifhurst by blood, and of course by true loyalty, but at the moment I'm afraid that I find myself technically a renegade. The Empire of the Crown felt the need to go back home once the fighting over there really ratcheted up, and sent almost all of us back to the homeworld to participate in the fighting there - it's my recommendation, by the way, that you not try your luck there until you're quite large. But the Empire is also the only thing that has been keeping this unfortunate world together. Chopta is full of factions and small bands that would like nothing more to tear each other apart, especially in this middle part of the planet. The Empire kept some order about the whole place, and when the others left, my boys and I could not stomach leaving this place in the lurch, since we knew it would descend into chaos."

McNabb let out another sigh, this one deeper and more regretful. "Unfortunately, we were right. Fighting has broken out all over this place, and even though we're doing our best to keep order in at least part of the central belt, there's only so much one battalion can do. That, of course, is where you come in -- and it's also where the foe you are going to be fighting comes in. We've been seeing a flood of mercenaries from all over the sector come in; Crown only knows where you come from, but there are a lot of fighters down here on Chopta, and we've accepted the fact that we will have to become clients in order to attempt to rein the violence in. It's better to have at least some mercenaries on contract than to be adrift among a sea of them without even a temporary raft, to speak in analogy."

Lanre finally took the opportunity to speak again. "I'm going to want more concrete information on our actual mission from you, Captain. Your motivations are one thing--"

(Marcellino here cut in with an "--and we can appreciate them, sure!--")

"--but if you are going to be hiring us to fight, I would at least like to have as much for us to go off of as possible. We saw some amount of information in your listing, but if you have more to tell us on our target, it would help us to properly prepare to take care of your job."

McNabb got just a little huffy: "Well, I was of course going to get to that, you know. The Maruška Sisters Company was an increasingly well-known company around here, bouncing between band to band and being fairly large in size, all told. But they ultimately made the mistake of sending their leadership off to go attack one of our bases -er, one of the Empire bases- that are actually still manned, in some suicidally ambitious group's mission, and when the Maruška Sisters themselves went and died, the company ended up scattering all over the place in little groups, who we've now been hunting down for some time. The Maruška Sisters tended to specialize their Titans to perform specific roles -- for the period of time that we managed to pursue the Titan that you will be dealing with, we ascertained that he appears to have been some sort of hit-and-run unit."

McNabb continued, "Our speculation is that he would have used his spine rifle to deal a devastating strike, and then dart off too fast to be hit, but obviously now that he's gone and lost that rifle, there's much less of that to deal with. He is still equipped with two small weapons, however - these are mounted on the Titan's torso, as the arms were pretty much entirely specialized for carrying weaponry. These appear to be small acid launchers, which can fire off to... I'd say a moderate range, from what we've experienced from similar Maruška hit and run Titans and don't do terribly much on their own in terms of raw devastation, but are capable of corroding armor and making a Titan more vulnerable where it's been struck, especially over time. The Titan is equipped with legs that aren't very tough, but emphasize speed and agility - I would wager that it would be hard to keep up unless you've heavily specialized, there. He's run off to a rocky area near a mountain that's just outside of where we've consolidated our patrol area now, but we've been there before. It's been hit with some sort of cataclysm in the past, and the area is littered with pieces of rock that are of a reasonable size for a Titan to throw - it's our guess that he's holed up there because he plans to use these boulders as his finishing weapon if he's forced into a fight."

Lanre made to reply... but Rivalla spoke up now, and Lanre sort of gave up: "Well, that is information that I suppose we can use. You should feel honored that we have come to deal with this for you - not only are we a royal retinue of the galaxy's premier experts on biotechnology, but we are experienced and hardened fighters in our own right! But yet we approach even tasks such as this with zeal, for our reach and our skills reach both high and low. We accept your mission - and you WILL find us successful. Leave no room in your heart for doubt - it would not do for you to be needlessly confused about our abilities." Rivalla stood up straight, and did her utmost to give an imperious look.

McNabb looked sort of bemused.

As previously stated in the OP for the game, in the Design and Revision Phase, you will have the opportunity to use two Design Actions and one Revision Action. Since I... don't really feel like repeating everything, I encourage you to look at the rules in the core for the phase. You have the choice of doing a Jury-Rig and a Blueprint, two Jury Rigs, or two Blueprints, in addition to a Revision that you can use either to alter a part you already have, or a blueprint you already have. You'll do these all at once. You can figure out your votebox here to your liking.

Spoiler: Titans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parts and Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Owned Scrap (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:40:45 pm by Powder Miner »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Rivalla's Retinue Thread - M1 Design and Revision
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2020, 06:05:30 pm »

Achy Breaky Heart (And Torso)

Unrivaled Genegineers tend to run the range between strange, insane, and full-on Narcissists. The Achy Breaky Heart and Torso is the product of one of these, Initially created as a Proposal gift from a  biogineer to a member of the royal family, before going on to see years of combat service as his personal Titan of choice and then from their transitioning to the Military gold standard for light mechs about 10 Unrillvalled archoelogists back. This torso has proved its abilities for years, Even as the wife would slowly upgrade her husbands Titan with more parts over the years, the torso remained as a example of his love for her.

Featuring a Light and flexible armored skin of, formed from Banded Mettlo calcium deposits and Regerative-astroleather, strung overtop of the cage of flexible and strong Bone and metal cage that protects a powerful duoble heart and Iron lungs, along with dozens of other Secondary and tertiatry ogans that take up space in the torso. On a regular mech the sheer amount of Organs given over to powering it would be over kill on rdundancy, However, On the tauroid chassis of the achy-breaky it was considered redundant at best, capable of keeping both parts of the torso alive without the aid of the other and working even better in tandem.

The tauroid torso possess 6 limb mountings, Breaking down into 4 leg slots and two arm slots in order to create a balance between the stability and Muscle power of a 4 legged mech and the flexibility of an Armed mech and their carryable weaponry. When it is outstretched, The torso looks similar to a long, 6 legged Lizard but when equipped with all limbs, a costly affair, the front third of the torso can bend up, Raising the head and arms off the ground and providing clear sight and firing lines. This creates a Raptor Esque torso, mounted on top of a much larger and longer Lizard-esque Tetrapod torso.
When lacking carryable weaponry or sheating the away on the back of its broad torso, the Achy breaky torso can straighten out, Keeping low profiles to the ground (For a titan) and using its arms to help it maneuver the flexable torso over broken terrain. Do to its capability to mount either two separate sets of Twin legs, Or a full set of 4 The Achy Breaky Heart and Torso has been known to see a large amount of flexability in its loadouts, Capable of moving from Magnetised Feet to Lavaproof Fins or even Jump capable limbs as the fight damages. Some pilots have even gone as far as to Mount backlimbs capable of Producing Sub creatures and front limbs armed to the 9's for melee combat.

As its role as a Tauroid Light mech, The Achy breaky has a Much Hardier Profile then most Light titans, if only from sheer size and mass, Which it pays for in Cost amd size, Due to mounting More limbs then even the standard Quadreped titan, Already known to be Pricey to outfit.
The achy Breaky Heart and Torso  Mounts a full compliment of 2 arms, 4 legs, 1 head, and the all important tail slot, Standard on almost every single titan fielded by the Kingdom of the unrivalled archeologist. When it comes to weaponry, The achy breaky Maintains Mounts for Carryable equipment to make full use of the Tauroid mech's arms along with weapon mounts inside the barrel of the Torso, Once more providing firepower and flexibility of a heavier weight class mech in exchange for the cost that it takes to fill up those slots. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:54:09 am by frostgiant »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2020, 06:43:39 am »

I wrote an alternative bipedal torso. I'm not totally happy with it, but I'm putting it out here to get feedback, and maybe spark some more discussion.
Quote from: OLD, DO NOT USE
Sommetisaur Torso:
So, you've been exiled assigned to the Sommet sector, with nothing more than a Barely-Rivalled titan and a cargo hold of scrap. This ain't acceptable. No self-respecting group of Unrivalled Archaeologists would field nothing but a single Barely-Rivalled. It is time to build a proper titan.
Unfortunately, you don't have a fossilised megabeast to work off of, and you haven't been in the Sommet sector long enough to acquire suitable local fauna. You're going to have to do this from scratch. No problem; you have the greatest Biogineer ever born*, complemented by the greatest Engineer ever born*, both of whom have an intense desire to out-perform the other. This is going to be a piece of cake**.

The Sommetisaur is approximately a Megaraptor. Or maybe a Deinonizor. Sort of looks like a Dromaestroyer from the front. Anyway, it's a raptor-type light torso, designed to work with a variety of arms (x2), legs (x2), tails (x1), and heads (x1), but especially effective with raptor-type components. The torso leans forwards, balanced by the tail component, providing a lower profile without sacrificing mobility or capacity (compared to a more upright titan). There is a medium mount in the chest, a small mount on each side, and a carryable mount on the back.
Due to a lack of a creature to base it off of, the Sommetisaur is even more ramshackle than the average Unrivalled titan. The diagrams for the internals call for things like "something heart like roughly here", "maybe a liver??", "don't forget to replace this with a working nutrient processor", and "definitely movement-assisted pneumatic lung augmentation, unless we can't find it". Batari and Peers are quite certain that the basic structure is sound, and assure us that the internal modularity will make construction and repairs easier.
The Sommetisaur Torso is approximately as well armoured as the Barely-Rivalled torso, using similar technology to the Megaraptor Legs. However, it is more streamlined than the Barely-Rivalled, weighing slightly less, and better balanced for high-speed mobility.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:25:00 pm by NUKE9.13 »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2020, 02:06:14 pm »

Two things:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but would the torso work without a tail?  We don't have one, and we need it for high agility maneuvering.  Ever see a cheetah on a hot pursuit?
https://i.imgur.com/6ZHkfL9.gifv

Are we going to do anything else with the tail to necessitate it being a separate part anyways?  I say just make it an integral part of the torso, and save us an action having to design and built it separately.

Also, we could fluff up the cybernetics slightly.  Off the top of my head, what about a reinforced ribcage to protect against lethal trauma to the heart and lungs?  A subganglia at the base of the spine (mythical dinosaur feature) for better neural response to the legs?  Or a localized fuel/energy store for the high calorie burning legs (probably real dinosaur/bird feature - glycogen body)?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-double-dinosaur-brain-myth-12155823/

Other than that, Sommetisaur Torso seems like a good use of the heart scrap.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2020, 03:13:29 pm »

Two things:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but would the torso work without a tail?  We don't have one, and we need it for high agility maneuvering.  Ever see a cheetah on a hot pursuit?
https://i.imgur.com/6ZHkfL9.gifv

Are we going to do anything else with the tail to necessitate it being a separate part anyways?  I say just make it an integral part of the torso, and save us an action having to design and built it separately.

Also, we could fluff up the cybernetics slightly.  Off the top of my head, what about a reinforced ribcage to protect against lethal trauma to the heart and lungs?  A subganglia at the base of the spine (mythical dinosaur feature) for better neural response to the legs?  Or a localized fuel/energy store for the high calorie burning legs (probably real dinosaur/bird feature - glycogen body)?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-double-dinosaur-brain-myth-12155823/

Other than that, Sommetisaur Torso seems like a good use of the heart scrap.
Regarding the tail slot, it's something that some people seem interested in doing, and I believe that Powder said it was a thing we could do, although I'm not certain. I'm also not totally sure why people want it. It would be a component that could be damaged without putting the entire torso in a damaged state? I could see integrating it with the torso design, actually, but I'd like to hear proponents explain why they'd prefer it separate.

Regarding cybernetics: very fair, I didn't put that much stuff into the design, and it could certainly use some more interesting features. A reinforced ribcage is something the Barely Rivalled torso already has, actually- but it wouldn't hurt to make it explicit. I'm not sure how much benefit a secondary brain would give us- seems like it would be a marginal benefit, better done once we've exhausted simpler augmentation options and still want to eke out a little more performance. Extra fuel storage could be a thing. As could many other options. It would be good to discuss this, hammer out what sort of things we want.
Although, more features mean more cost and greater difficulty. We shouldn't go wild, especially not if we integrate the tail.

Also, to be clear, my thinking for doing a torso now is not that we build it immediately, but rather that we know what to shop around for in order to build it in the future.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:03 pm »

Quote from: Votebox of Enthusiasm!
(1) Sommetisaur Torso! WITH INTEGRAL TAIL!!!: ConscriptFive
(0) Sommetisaur Torso! IT'S PERFECT AS IS!!!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2020, 02:00:32 pm »

New version of Sommetisaur:

Sommetisaur Torso (alt):
So, you've been exiled assigned to the Sommet sector, with nothing more than a Barely-Rivalled titan and a cargo hold of scrap. This ain't acceptable. No self-respecting group of Unrivalled Archaeologists would field nothing but a single Barely-Rivalled. It is time to build a proper titan.
Unfortunately, you don't have a fossilised megabeast to work off of, and you haven't been in the Sommet sector long enough to acquire suitable local fauna. You're going to have to do this from scratch. No problem; you have the greatest Biogineer ever born*, complemented by the greatest Engineer ever born*, both of whom have an intense desire to out-perform the other. This is going to be a piece of cake**.

The Sommetisaur is approximately a Megaraptor. Or maybe a Deinonizor. Sort of looks like a Dromaestroyer from the front. Anyway, it's a raptor-type light torso, designed to work with a variety of arms (x2), legs (x2), and heads (x1), but especially effective with raptor-type components. The torso leans forwards, balanced by the large prehensile tail, providing a lower profile without sacrificing mobility or capacity (compared to a more upright titan). The tail also aids in mobility, as a movable counterweight that enables tighter manoeuvres at high speeds. There is a medium mount in the chest, a small mount on each side and on the tip of the tail, and a carryable mount on the back.
Due to a lack of a creature to base it off of, the Sommetisaur is even more ramshackle than the average Unrivalled titan. The diagrams for the internals call for things like "something heart like roughly here", "maybe a liver??", "don't forget to replace this with a working nutrient processor", and "definitely movement-assisted pneumatic lung augmentation, unless we can't find it". Batari and Peers are quite certain that the basic structure is sound, and assure us that the internal modularity will make construction and repairs easier.
The Sommetisaur Torso is approximately as well armoured as the Barely-Rivalled torso, using similar technology to the Megaraptor Legs. However, it is more streamlined than the Barely-Rivalled, weighing slightly less, and better balanced for high-speed mobility.

To summarise:
>Raptor-type torso
>Intended role: Light, high speed.
>Integrated tail, prehensile, boosting agility.
>Semi-modular internals- intended to reduce the specificity of components needed to build/repair somewhat.
>Light but not non-existent armour, approximately equivalent to Barely-Rivalled, but using Megaraptor techniques.
>2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head.
>1 medium, 3 small, 1 carryable.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2020, 06:10:41 pm »

Acid rounds
They are rounds with acid in them

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2020, 02:58:51 pm »

Ad-Hoc Acid rounds (Jury rig ACid weapon)

The railgun is currently the only non-short or melee range weapon on the retinues sole mech, Needless to say, the pilots, Commanders, hell even the units chef would feel better if the railgun got a bit of a tune-up before sending the light mech to play the most dangerous game out in the mountain. as such the Acid weapons remain have been turned into an Adhoc acid production facility, Creating acid that is then placed in specially formed railgun rounds. The railgun rounds are partially hollow And have an inner lining of Stomach tissues and mucus to protect them from the payload that is loaded with.

The result is obvious. What the new round lack in weight from their partially hollow nature, they will more than make up for in not only fragmentation but also the fact that that fragmentation digging and spinning into the target is covered and followed by a payload of metal and flesh corroding acid.

Anti-acid shield.  (Acid weapon jury rig ad advanced metals)

Protection is serious business, and with a lack of carryable, it was decided to give our sole mech something to hopefully minimize the damage caused by its quarries acid weaponry. The shield is shaped like a Buckle, with a large spike in the middle that could act as a devestating weapon should the Light titan put it full weight during a jump unto that point. However the main point of the shield is its solid construction and the Various linings of Mucus producing tissue, taken from the Acid weapon's own storage glands, that leak a viscous mucus unto the surface of the shield. This mucus counteracts acid and makes any form of grappling with the surface of the shield a losing game.  This allows the sole titan of the Retinue to protect itself from range weapon and protect its already weak armour from the dangers of acid weaponry, which combined with its speed make sthe small titan a fairly durable prospect for any other light titan lacking heavy weaponry.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2020, 03:24:18 pm »

Biomechanical Laser Range Boost
"Peers? Have you seen my Holographirizer 9000? Someone said they saw you with it"
"Sorry, princess, I haven't seen it. I swear on my liver."
"Uh. Okay"
[...]
"Joke's on her, I had my liver removed years ago"

Using some non-essential electronics, Peers has improved the efficacy of our Biomechanical Lasers, boosting the range by a small but not insignificant amount.

Designs (pick two)
Achy Breaky Heart (And Torso):
Sommetisaur Torso (alt): (1) NUKE9.13
Ad-Hoc Acid Rounds:
Anti-Acid Shield: (1) NUKE9.13

Revisions (pick one)
Biomechanical Laser Range Boost: (1) NUKE9.13

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2020, 03:27:35 pm »

Designs (pick two)
Sommetisaur Torso (alt): (1) NUKE9.13
Ad-Hoc Acid Rounds: (1) m1895

Revisions (pick one)
Biomechanical Laser Range Boost: (2) NUKE9.13, m1895

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2020, 04:47:56 pm »

Designs (pick two)
Sommetisaur Torso (alt): (2) NUKE9.13, Rockeater
Ad-Hoc Acid Rounds: (2) m1895, Rockeater

Revisions (pick one)
Biomechanical Laser Range Boost: (3) NUKE9.13, m1895, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2020, 12:41:16 pm »

SNOT SHIELD!

Designs (pick two)
Sommetisaur Torso (alt): (3) NUKE9.13, Rockeater, ConscriptFive
Ad-Hoc Acid Rounds: (2) m1895, Rockeater
Anti-Acid Shield: (2) NUKE9.13, ConscriptFive