Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Outsiders and rare posibilities  (Read 5751 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outsiders and rare posibilities
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:50:26 pm »

As Outsider, you can start with any weapons and they may be made out of even non-weapon metals like nickel. Anyone test material science of them? Lead whips may be very interesting, but cheap.

Also you can start with any creature with PET or PET_EXOTIC as your pet. Even gremlin (but not troll or ogre, they lack PET, but you can start with them if enable goblin civ adventurers, just add party member from another civ for not starting in goblin site). Even purring maggot and other deeper creatures. Theoretically, even with dragon, hydra or roc, but you have not enough dwarfbucks. I start with giant bats for flying mounts.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders and rare posibilities
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 05:04:11 pm »

I like Outsider for being able to use daggers (I dunno, they're probably objectively worse than swords but they work well) but I somehow didn't realize about the pet thing...  Thanks for the info, now I know what to do for my next character.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:56:31 pm »

"As Outsider, you can start with any weapons and they may be made out of even non-weapon metals like nickel. Anyone test material science of them? Lead whips may be very interesting, but cheap. "

The stats of those arnt that great, so in most cases they break quickly, and barely do much damage, with the exception of Platinum, which is good for blunt weapons, but extremely heavy.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:27:49 am »

Having a pet megabeast seemed extremely fun so I hacked enough points using cheat engine.

I got instantly mauled to death by it in the first few turns, and now my world has an extra hydra roaming around.
10/10 would do again
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:38:14 am »

Having a pet megabeast seemed extremely fun so I hacked enough points using cheat engine.

I got instantly mauled to death by it in the first few turns, and now my world has an extra hydra roaming around.
10/10 would do again

You are now the DF equivalent of that douchebag who buys a dangerous exotic pet and lets it escape.  That hydra is totally going to ruin that ecosystem now (AKA murder a bunch of people).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:14 am »

so far I use outsiders for the means to start anywhere as a vanilla warp point for my other adventurers they are fun to tag along on journeys and allows one to build a second adventurer who do the stuff you don't want to focus on with the main adventurer like for example one could make a stealthy dodge character then make a social Face adventurer who can convince others to follow them and win favors with militia and guards you then also get the benefits of the different types of giant animals you can get including giant cave spiders.

though there's a modding solution to the not enough points by making one of the common starting items either really really expensive that getting it at the start means selling it gets you free cash to spend or make a material really worthless that you can get free money buying more of it so that you can use that extra cash to spend on anything else though doing so will put you into debt once your done.

though if you dabble into animal token modding you could add more to the list of creatures you can buy either by personally adding them to a civ or making the civ always have every creature who has the animal class general poison.

but vanilla wise the selection of creatures you can get at the start on top of being able to pick where to go including established camps and player forts makes adventure mode less harsh to play if you play in groups and with giant elephant mounts with giant cave spider pets.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 02:54:00 pm »

One thing I like to do with raws is to add the outsider tag to elephant men. They are without a doubt the best adventurers. I usually make them wrestlers and give them plenty of skill in biting: their teeth and tusks attacks are devastating. I can dispatch of anything by holding it in place and using a precise bite attack on the head and shaking it around.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 10:08:10 am »

From the bugtracker 0011239: Outsiders Can Start With Any Weapon Skills, esp noting end comment:
(0040514)
Quietust   (reporter)
2020-04-29 05:55
edited on: 2020-04-29 05:56

Possibly related is the fact that it's also permitting equipment to be made from nearly all materials - specifically, it allows every metal that isn't BRITTLE (Bismuth/Pig Iron), DEEP (Adamantine), or DIVINE, so it'll let you bring weapons and armor made of totally inappropriate things like Zinc or Pewter.

So while I tend to be indifferent regarding intention/lore concerns, Quietust's mention of the inappropriate metals lends a good deal of credence to this being stuff that will eventually be removed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:42:36 pm »

While much of this is probably going to get fixed, it's still fun to mess with modded creatures, materials and items that become available as a result. My adventure last night consisted of one human outsider who got some overpowered equipment, and a familiar to bestow magic goodies, and a human and gnoll from civilized societies.

Outsiders can start with any armor and weapons, but not tools, backpacks, food, or any other items. So the civilized guys brought their own unique equipment, including an extra backpack for the barbarian, some food, waterskins etc.

Starting as part of a civ that has access to everything in the game would be even more beneficial. But they'd probably conquer the whole world on their own and leave you with little adventuring potential, unless you forced them to have personalities, values and ethics that preclude wars of conquest.

Also, the pet value of the turkey is far less than the sum of it's parts once butchered. You can save money on food by bringing a single turkey and immediately slitting its throat and butchering it in the woods. Have a mod like wanderers friend and turn it's bones and skin into equipment you couldn't afford with your fancier gear, or in the case of outsiders specifically make those backpack and waterskins you can't buy. Manage to bisect it and get a second skin. But you can also just start in a human hamlet, claim one of their stray pasture animals as a pet, lead it into the woods and slit its throat it out there. No witnesses, no repercussions. There may be other similarly cheap pets that provide great value once butchered.

Use your turkeys as immediate power levelling fodder, don't have to find wild animals.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:44:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 04:25:28 pm »

From the bugtracker 0011239: Outsiders Can Start With Any Weapon Skills, esp noting end comment:
(0040514)
Quietust   (reporter)
2020-04-29 05:55
edited on: 2020-04-29 05:56

Possibly related is the fact that it's also permitting equipment to be made from nearly all materials - specifically, it allows every metal that isn't BRITTLE (Bismuth/Pig Iron), DEEP (Adamantine), or DIVINE, so it'll let you bring weapons and armor made of totally inappropriate things like Zinc or Pewter.

So while I tend to be indifferent regarding intention/lore concerns, Quietust's mention of the inappropriate metals lends a good deal of credence to this being stuff that will eventually be removed.
I hope that until the meaning of "outsider" is defined, this bug won't ever be fixed and we can continue to use it in whatever way we like. Why can't an "outsider" be an interstellar travel from a planet whose inhabitants are so stupid they make all their whips from lead? Who was followed through whatever means it took to get them here by a vicious hydra.

Not only makes for a fine mess for regular adventurers to make sense of, but also allows you to unleash a custom named megabeast on the world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 06:38:32 pm »

You know what, the museum III game is in the age of heroes now. I wonder if pumping it full of new megabeasts from outsiders would actually change that. I'm going to test that once I'm done with my turn and upload it. Would be hella rad to start a new apocalypse. If it wasn't already a post-apocalyptic wasteland...

To be fair, the beasts wouldn't go around destroying sites and stuff, but they'd wreck whatever site they're in if you don't die immediately and hang around for a while while they do their thing.

You could start a new adventurer at each site in the world and bring a hydra or Minotaur or something with you. Lead it around and then climb on the roof of a building while it destroyed everyone inside.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:42:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 08:42:35 am »

Yeah been mucking about with the pure ASCII/text flavor of the incredibly floral, yet suitably knightly rose gold as a metal type for hammers/maces; something that is pure RNG in fortmode for weapons.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 09:03:12 am »

adding in new megabeasts from any source will revert your age back to the last age, although it will be "the second age of..." or "the third age of..."

This can even happen in vanilla if enough megabeasts start mating.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

catnapcat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 12:00:19 am »

10/10 would do again
What cheat engine did you use? How may I go about reestablishing the age of myth in my world single-handedly, with fifteen pet hydras?

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 02:46:48 am »

What cheat engine did you use? How may I go about reestablishing the age of myth in my world single-handedly, with fifteen pet hydras?

1) Download DFHack and install it by unpacking the archive file in your Dwarf Fortress folder.

2) Run Dwarf Fortress as you normally would. The DFHack console should appear as a separate window.

3) Start a new game. While setting up your adventurer (or fortress), simply enter something like the following into the DFHack console to set your point count accordingly:
Code: [Select]
points 999999
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 
Pages: [1] 2