Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bay12 Privateering - Let's Play Horizon's Gate  (Read 14527 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Privateering - Let's Play Horizon's Gate
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 01:52:26 pm »

Mushroom takes his first action in combat ever by invalidating Krea-wren's choice by dealing a whopping 15 points of damage with a big hammer.

Nice. I knew being Wilderi would let me take the battle to the front line. (As conditions permit) I'm expecting hoping to get Warrior class (I think?) for a big shield so I can tank almost anything and hit back just as hard. Ah, simple pleasures. Healing/buffs sounds like a fine suite when not bringing down The Hammer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 06:35:01 am »

KingZultan will get two guns and eventually take that Batman class.
So I'll be a pirate version of Batman with guns, but will I also be super rich I wonder.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 06:55:40 am »

Nice. I knew being Wilderi would let me take the battle to the front line. (As conditions permit) I'm expecting hoping to get Warrior class (I think?) for a big shield so I can tank almost anything and hit back just as hard. Ah, simple pleasures. Healing/buffs sounds like a fine suite when not bringing down The Hammer.

Mushroom can totally go that way, Guardian especially has good abilities to give combat buffs. You've leveled up in Sage enough to have a good regeneration effect that you can toss out to all allies, so I'll start gearing you toward combat classes.

So I'll be a pirate version of Batman with guns, but will I also be super rich I wonder.

Last save's money: about 6000.
This save's final total: 38000.

You're filthy rich, Master Wayne.

My wife went on a business trip so I did literally nothing except play Horizon's Gate and go swimming today. Update incoming.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 07:19:05 am »

Part 5: Do you know what day it is tomorrow?

Whaling shanties are basically pirate shanties, right?

The longest haul we ever did? I did some long runs as a Dominio corporal, but with Pliskin, that's a harder question... You see, we did two right on top of each other. Long charting jobs. When the Ocelot cleared the Rumane blockades, we did both within 3 months of each other – which was fast. Fast as we could have done. Pliskin was stingy about buying ships back then, so we started our journey heading to Gonhaldr.

When Ensu made Eral, they put too much fire in Gonhaldr. They were a long-time ally of Dominio, thanks to their particular business. No one made better cannons and guns than the metal-smiths in Gonhaldr. The air is thick with smoke from the constant forges. I've always been a sailor. Give me the fresh sea air, and swallow that smoke yourself. I hate the place.

Pliskin had a plan, though – snag a Slithership from Dominio and roll it up and down the coast. Gonhaldr would be our base of operation - repairs, guns, Gonhaldr is happy to supply. I admit, I was eager to get back on top of one of those beasts. I used to be a Slithership pilot. I got that nickname Dragon Tamer by calming one that almost went topside. Problem is, Dominio Slitherers were sailing in groups of 5. The Ocelot wouldn't have lasted a minute, agile as she was. We were lucky, though. An unsuspecting trader rolled by and left us a Carrack for the low price of their lives. The Peace Walker could carry 20 days worth of food for the whole crew, I was happy to pilot it and the rest of the crew were happy to have more space in their quarters.

The growing fleet then rolled all the way north looking for treasure and the river that would take us back to the heart of Rumane. I was in the Dominio navy for 35 years. I was a pilot for a lot of that time, and in no rutter I ever saw, ours or otherwise, did anyone mention a little collective of Crub south of Roque. Don't know if it's still there these days – those were some nasty seas around it. Lightning storms, Cleevers, and Amnitorsks abounding. But we slipped through, blasting a few of them out of the way, or dodging the rest.

You ever have Cleever boarders? There's something magic about them, unnatural magic, Ruin magic, maybe. When the last of their crew is cleaved to the brisket, their Shellships sink themselves. Leave it to the Crub to figure out a way around that. You could pick up a Shellship from them back then. Maybe you could still do it today, if you can find the new Crubtown. I tell ya, we were happy to see them. The Peace Walker and The Ocelot were both hanging on by a few planks, taking on water after all the sea-beasts we had to fight through to get there. I think we paid them more than they'd ever seen in repair costs alone.

It took us nearly 5 weeks, all told, to reach Rumane again. We stopped in port to relax and resupply, then Pliskin gave the all hands hoy again and we set out past Jascias and then north into the Riverlands. A true nightmare, that place. Channels, streams, and rivers all feeding into each other – some get shallow enough to hold you up and other are deep enough for Megaray to jump out of. It feels like they change too. It's hell to map, but we did our best and came out the other side near Trabenton. An odd port, that. They make boats from trees that are still alive – sounds cruel to me – but it makes for a damn good vessel.

The Riverlands house a hundred mysteries. There's plenty of oddities that people will pay good money to learn about. I remember, we saw some of those blue Great Wyrms. Rare sights now, but boy – they're like mountains.

Well into May at that point, we headed to our contacts in the Research Cult and the Cartography guild. We were sitting on a pretty penny then. Our crew had grown along the way, of course, and our skills as fighters was getting impressive. We even cleared one of the dojos.

Pliskin and I started working on building a fleet then. But those long days, sailing through storm and sun...those were some good days...

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...

-=-=-=-

Some commentary on gameplay:

Port Prosperity:

I would label the map in detail, but...Christ. In this we visited most of the special ports (there's one more that I'll get to next time.) Every port has two things tied to their prosperity: recruitment and availability.

Prosperity is improved by investment (and potentially the NPC traders that travel around – as every port seems to be lower than the last time I played). Part of the game, if you're attached to a faction, is to sway ports to join your faction by investing with them often, which gets the port to favor your faction over their own eventually. Investment in ports that are already owned by your faction increase your faction reputation. You'll notice Gonhaldr and Crubtown are independent already (grey flag) – I assume that's because they're supposed to be easy grabs for your own faction with a bit of investment.

Higher prosperity mean more recruits are available (usually it's 1, but can go up to about 3 per cafe). Shipwrights also have special ships hidden behind prosperity walls. Shops will also have a wider range of goods at high prosperity, and trade good resupply more often.
Crubtown has an even better Shellship at 100% prosperity. Trabenton has a larger warship that regenerates health as well. Gonhaldr has a big, slow warship that can take a lot of hits. I'll be getting a Shellship from Crubtown and probably investing in the Trabenton one too. Granserf is the town where they get unlimited experience giving items at full prosperity, so that's worth considering too.

These investments are not cheap – they're about 500 gold per 1% of improvement. I've got about 40000 right now, but that'll go fast with investing. If we get enough crew and capable enough ships to take down Dominio Slitherers, we can make money very fast in a violent way. At that point, I could probably also get my hands on the battle ships of each major faction. Otherwise trading is a good way to double your money as long as cargo space holds up.

((Shellships do well sailing against the wind, which is nice. Also Slitherers are literally ships strapped on top of dragons.))

Ports Outside the Great Sea:

The Great Sea refers to that main thoroughfare with the three main factions around it. It's only about 15% of the map. The rest of the map is kind of empty but has more interesting dungeons along the way. The exception to that are the small independent ports scattered around. Those small grey flags are literally one building to only buy food from. They're necessary, or else you'd spend most of your time fighting megarays for food, but also pretty boring. The creator has given instructions on how to mod this game, though, and suggested those independent ports as prime real estate to practice making scenes.

The small golden circles are places of greater interest. Below Dominio is a smuggler, and another in the top-right of the map. These guys sell special items that are usually unobtainable anywhere else. I didn't buy anything of note yet, but I'll be coming back to these when I have a small army of troops and want my main 5 to stand out.

((Smuggler's shop))

Groves, sites, and dungeons:

Those smaller circles are usually groves or small sites that are either just there for a combat encounter and reward, or for story reasons. They're pretty atmospheric often, and many give a genuine combat challenge. I went through a forest and ended up getting one of those game breaking items...

((This is amazing but basically useless until I've unlocked more classes.))

Dojo:

I took on one of the dojos in the same instant that I decided to abandon the ironman rule. Luckily, I won on the first try. Whips are weak against armor, so I guessed it'd be the easiest dojo to defeat. The room inside also made it easy to group everyone up so Luke and Pliskin could pepper large groups with arrows and spells. It was close though, managed it with only Mushroom and Luke standing at the end. The reward was some nice weapons (flails and whips, which basically no one is using) and the opportunity to give all crew +1 in a weapon. That's pretty worth it, especially since your other crew don't get much experience (only in boarding and I think quest rewards.)

Crew and other races:

Having more crew on your ship gives you a slight bonus to cannon damage, and also makes it a lot easier when enemies board your ship.

Buralk are the roach guys. Crub are cute crabs. Zyla are lizard men who have a chance of poisoning anyone who hits them in melee. All three of these (and 1 more which isn't recruitable in the game) are unlocked as playable as the Commodore after you beat the game. Crub are a fan-favorite since their +2 to both defenses make them incredibly tanky compared to everyone else.

All the new crew just have dumb Metal Gear names (DecoyOctopus, PsychoMantis, Sasaki, etc.) Feel free to grab one if you're interested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:45 pm »

Jack Euchre as basically anyone that actually gets used from time to time.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 12:47:55 am »

Part 5: Who's afraid of a little thunder?

New ship's up and ready to go, Capt'n!

The Shagohod? It was a beast of a ship. Commissioned from Crubtown at a high cost. Hell, we had to basically build the whole port up just so they could make the damn thing. Wasn't easy, either – dodging storms and monster to get there over and over again. But it was a fine vessel – stout and stocky, with good cargo space and could pack a punch when it needed to.

Jack Euchre took the helm of the Shagohod and Luke joined him as bossun. I never stepped foot on the thing. Too many bad memories of fighting Cleevers in my Navy days. I couldn't shake the thought of the thing sinking under me – pulling me down to the depths with it. The fleet was growing, slowly but surely. The crew was too, each mastering their own skills.

-=-=-=-

Commentary on gameplay:

Boy, that was one hell of an investment... About 80,000 all told, plus another 10,000 to buy the ship. 5,000 or so on cannons... Money making in this game is easy and riskless, but it takes a long time. Each big trading run would make me about 5,000 gold. So I did a lot of trading to get this much. It was exceptionally boring as far as an LP goes. Fighting ships only nets around 1,000 if I'm lucky, and takes a lot longer. Now that I've got a fleet of three, I might be able to start picking fights with one of the nations for more profitable piracy. I'll give it a shot and get back to you.

Otherwise, I'll be doing the exact same to get a regenerating ship from Trabenton.

Along the investment track, Crubtown started to offer special weapons - including Mushroom's new "hammer". I also stopped off at a smuggler's shop and got that fuck-off huge shield for him. 

Factions, all:

So the factions you can join are those three - Seartial, Jascias, and Rumane. There are three other factions in the game:

Dominio - which only fields groups of 5 Seaslithers (I could have sworn they sent out smaller groups, but that could just have been my mind playing tricks on me.)
Neutral - which field small groups of trading vessels for easy pickings (only Cogs, Pinnacles and Carracks, as far as I've seen. Cheap ships, all of them.)
Pirate - unfortunately, the Pirate faction is always hostile. There's a pirate Galleon which rolls around Jasce territory, and is out of my league currently. They do, however, have a single port with some cool weaponry that we'll be picking up later.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:27:42 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 04:36:11 am »

So the pirate faction hates us, so we're going to have to become super pirates so we can become pirates to the pirates!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 03:27:16 am »

So the pirate faction hates us, so we're going to have to become super pirates so we can become pirates to the pirates!

In this update: we become pirate to the pirates.

Part 6: Heh... You're pretty good.

This update is about getting men and ships.

Aye, the pirate's life isn't all bloodshed and villainy. No, we spent a year just building capital, laying low and avoiding trouble. It took a long time, but in those days the seas were dangerous and there was money to be made for those who could transport goods in one piece. Now we still did our fair share of picking fights with traders and looking for buried treasure, but mostly we just sailed, got used to the new ships.

Aye, the fleet grew as the crew did. The first after the Shagohod must have been the Gekko. A living ship out of Trabenton, she was. Durable as all hell as the thing grew faster than chunks could get blown out of her.

Then we got the Sahelanthropus - a Corvair straight from the Pirate's Cove in Ash Port. Damn fast ship - it could put the Ocelot to shame and was twice the size. I miss that ship, perhaps it was my favorite. T'was sunk later by pirates - I guess that's the circle of life, in some ways.

Gonhaldr gave us Arsenal Gear, a Full-rigged ship. Towering monstrosity that it was, they threw in The Basilisk on top of it all, the largest gun they'd produced since the Gate Wars.

We took the fleet out on patrol, met those pirates and traded the Sahelanthropus for Rex - a pirate Galleon. Broad sides full of guns and a thorn in our paw, we started snagging Seaslither patrols out of Dominio. Commandeered one and got myself back behind the helm of a sea monster. Felt good. I named her Ray.

With that, well, we weren't going to get much more prepared. The ships under our command, we geared up to bring the fight back to Lagan. Pliskin and I started to take issue with each other's commands. I'd been happy to follow Pliskin for a while, but he'd taken a liking to Ruin magic, and well, that just rubs an seadog the wrong way. It's bad luck and all. I was happy to be aboard The Ray instead.

-=-=-=-

Commentary on gameplay:

This game was made by RadCodex. In all the RadCodex games (there's 3, as far as I know), there's a lot of grinding. My only legitimate gripe with this game is the grind. This took forever, and to get 1 of each ship would be...probably 40 hours of playing - doing exactly the same thing over and over.

Let's take Crubtown for example:
It cost about 80,000 to get them to 100% prosperity to get the Shellswoop.
Round up to 100,000 to have the Shellswoop purchased and equipped.

For the price, I could just have like 20 Pinnacles plus crew and zerg rush every fight, right?
Ultimately, I don't think these investments are worth it.

I got four more cities to full - Gonhaldr, Ash Port, and Trabenton plus Granserf (see below). I also bought some cool gear, but am looking forward to wrapping up the boss fight.

Harbors:

Peace Walker didn't sink or anything, it's just moored. You can park a ship in a city for pick up at another time. I will have to moor the Ocelot too, or it will almost definitely be sunk in the final battle. Oh, if a ship is sunk, it's gone for good, by the way. This allows you to swap out teams of ships for different tasks - say a fast combat group or a slow trading group.
Shuffling the crew around on ships gets a bit annoying though.

Speaking of crew and annoying:

Leveling up:

Getting experience for a big crew like this is tough - they'll get some from big ship fights, such as fighting Seaslithers, but I found a faster and way less fun way:

These each give 100xp and Granserf sells them indefinitely. Most class abilities are around the 200 mark and 500+ to upgrade. I'm going to give about 10 of these each to the crew who have just been hired to be mooks on the ship so they have a bit more survivability. That's important because boarding is just about the best way to disable a ship quickly, and mooks can't do much to attack or defend. The micro for this is awful, but you're probably also not supposed to be running around with 5 warships of crew.

Unique encounters:

There are a handful of boss fights sprinkled around the game. Often at the end of a short dungeon. For example, I fought a giant flame beetle who was a real asshole in a clay fortress. They almost always reward you with an Ability Crest, of which I can now get infinite from winning the Arena tournament.
There's one very cool boss fight I'll show off at the end and is a returning character from Alvora Tactics (maybe Voidspire, too, but I haven't finished that one yet).

As for the crew: Pliskin has gone down the Ruin path - the opposite of a healer, he has debuffs and damage, doing extra damage on enemies who already have status ailments. Reeve got the sword from the beginning of the game back (Ash Port at 100% sells this in their Smithy) and is working on becoming an Ignis Knight (literally light yourself on fire and do more damage.) Luke is a Spell Archon right now, dealing massive amounts of elemental damage on bow shots. King Zultan is Batman, boasting improved maneuverability and a gun+sword combo (You'll finish off in Swiftcloak which allows for 2 guns to be used effectively). Mushroom is tanking as a Gatewarden (teleport yourself and allies around to do additional damage.) Jack Euchre is a bit behind but is making progress as an Enchanter - adding elemental damage buffs to yourself and allies.

Also, I think I found a DF reference:

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 07:22:37 am »

Totally DF.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 08:07:02 am »

(literally light yourself on fire and do more damage.)
Enemy sailors can't catch you if your on fire!

Also that does sound like a DF reference.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2020, 01:42:32 am »

Part 7: Kuwabara kuwabara...

Finally, a bit of revenge. (Not a shanty, but still a nautical song)

The day before a big fight is always a tense one.  We sat around the Port Midos table, sipping beers in quiet, exchanging reassuring glances, trying to bluff our way into confidence. The crew'd made a lot of progress. We'd been all over the map, discovered half of it ourselves. We'd re-opened water-ways, slain huge creatures, and found ourselves some of the best ships on the sea.

But eventually, what revenge is all about, is facing the thing you hate the most, looking it dead in the eye, and making sure it's gone from this world.

After we killed Lagan, a giant Gate appeared and we went to Graven... Hey, wait! Where are you going?! I'm not done with my story!

-=-=-=-

Commentary on gameplay:

Last Class Trainers:

Quick aside, in case you play the game, there are two trainers you are likely to get stuck on trying to find them, all the others have pretty obvious buildings and tell you what they want. Also, the Gatekeepers will say that you have to wait 9 months to get access to their training or pay 5000 right then. That's not bullshit - if you wait 9 game-months, you can return and get it for free.

Here's where to find the likely last two and how.

Spoiler: Shiftcloak (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warpblade (click to show/hide)

So here's the end game for you:

Lagan's Fight:

With this many ships, I can sink all of his in the first round before he gets a chance to fight back. In order to capture a Stormcutter, we boarded and killed Lagan.

Ship combat isn't particularly difficult at this point. We have a lot of crew and a lot of good ships, so we can hold out and win just by pure numbers. Everyone has a couple of abilities at this point, meaning no one is likely to get killed instantly. The rain here benefited us more than hurt us – since I gave a few people Lightning triggers in their weapons (extra damage to wet targets.)

((Unfortunately, it was just some mook who killed Lagan.))

A Stormcutter is a good ship – as fast as a Corvair but a bit stronger. They also left us with 2 thunder cannons which deal decent damage in a straight line. We are done with ship combat for now, though.

After Lagan's fight, you get access to the secondary main mission - to open a mysterious door which the Admiral mentioned. Using a mega-bomb to blow it open, you'll be confronted with a plain boring room. If Reeve isn't in your party, you don't get the text which encourages you to keep looking. I would say this is a design flaw, since on the Steam Discussion board, some people talk about the game being unfinished and I think this is why. You can find a button behind the curtain.

Spoiler: boring room (click to show/hide)

This opens a gate on the overworld and gives you the opportunity to recover and return later. We dive right in.

We enter a dreary world which Reeve identifies as Graven, an entirely different world from Eral. Alvora Tactics (another game) takes place in the 3rd one - Limroft.

Walking forward, you encounter two very easy guards. A room full of basic treasure, and then encounter the Admiral on a bridge.

Bauen's Fight:

Bauen is an as-of-yet unmentioned character just thrown in to pad out the end game. The Admiral tells him to kill us and disappears down a hallway. Out of the wings, two dudes on each side appear.

Bauen's fight is tough, but not impossible. Bauen is vastly overleveled with about 80 HP. The other 6 dudes are tough and likely to get a hit on you in the first turn before you can even move. They can be trivialized by this fight being a bridge – so I just shoved two of them off and then the fight becomes much more reasonable. I recommend killing Bauen the old-fashioned way because he has a cool sword which is a pity to lose to the abyss. Unfortunately, no one on the team is using swords right now. Watch out - the enemy casts Cyclone often, which can push your dudes into the abyss, immediately removing them from the rest of the fight.

Ignis knights are useless here, as the ground doesn't burn and that's basically the condition that makes them truly thrive. Reeve is a Brawler in the last fights, using Krakenslayer abilities as well.

Note: getting knocked out lowers your maximum hit points for a short time. There are 3 boss fights and one additionally difficult fight in here, which can attrition your team by the end if you're not careful. Sorry, I didn't get good screenshots of this fight - I was distracted while I did it...

After the fight, you can find a dissection room where clearly they've been working on these giant worms. The journal informs you that these worms have the ability to create Gates naturally and can teleport between worlds.

You end up in this room looking for a way forward. Eagle eyes will notice the grate on the top left.

Note: you can also just Gate up there.

Dominio Squad Fight:

This fight can be completely avoided with Gate or the Sharpshooter's longshot ability.

The point of it is to get that rifle to shoot at the lever to open the bridge. This fight is weirdly more difficult than Bauen's fight, since there are slightly more dudes and in this open room, they're basically coming at you no matter what – it has real Fire Emblem Awakening vibes as just being a brawl fest. We take out the team and check the room for goods. It's almost all mythril goods.

The game provides a forge and anvil after this, so you can melt down and reconstruct all of the mythril gear, if you want. You can also swap in triggers to add elemental damage. We're basically set on equipment. All I do is switch Pliskin's shield to a mythril one.

Admiral's Fight:

You enter a long hallway with ominous music and see larger and larger specimen of the Ruluorns. Finally, you stand in front of the biggest one.

The camera does a great thing where it pans down to reveal the Admiral.

All of the Admiral's conversation paths reveal the same: He set you and Reeve up to die because the other three nations were on the rise to destroy Dominio. He is patriotic to a fault. He is aiming to recover lost technology from the Gate Wars to create a Voidspire (see the first Radcodex game: Voidspire Tactics.) The general idea is that he's going to pre-emptively destroy the other three nations because they're looking for the same tech. For this play-through, I chose the cocky straight to the fight dialogue options:

The fight with the Admiral is rough. He immediately summons 5 additional units, tougher than the other mooks we've fought so far. He's got a good amount of abilities and his dudes have tons of buffs and AOE attacks. Note, you only need to get the Admiral down on health to win this fight – the other dudes will warp out if he's taken down, so prioritize damaging the Admiral. This is still very difficult as his allies will buff him with Gate Shield (immunity to a ranged attack), Negate (a buff that cancels 1 attack), and he'll throw out Now! (an ability giving an ally an extra turn) or Discipline (curing all status ailments). He's tough.

That said, enough stun and poison effects work well to slow him down and open him up to Pliskin's Ruin Touch (deals extra damage for each negative status effect on an enemy.) Disrupt Shot (from the Spell Archon, I believe) is also good – if you can get it to land – for killing his buffs.

Mushroom struggles here, as any buff he can give out is negated by all the attacks with the same attack area the enemy will get off in the same amount of time. I did pop off a Ward (resist magic damage) in this fight, but honestly I'm torn on what is a good strategy here.

Either way, if you can get him down to less than 20 HP – you've won:

OH DID YOU THINK ALL THIS METAL GEAR SHIT WAS FOR NO REASON?!

Next time: a very fucking hard boss fight.

Spoiler: Metal Gear? (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 03:47:16 am »

Looking at the last picture it appears I'm dead and so are two of the others, does that hurt your chances against the big robot guy?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 03:58:19 am »

Part 8: Metal Gear?

The final update.

No more from Reeve, time to just straight-up LP this game.

The Admiral gives some excuse why this mech is in this pirate game. The journal will say that it normally has treads at the bottom to allow it to move.

This boss fight is hard. No two ways about it. It's also the "second phase" of the fight, so if you fuck up, you have to fight the Admiral again. That's where the strategy is mostly located - you want to leave the Admiral fight with everyone alive and at decent health - with any sort of buff preferable. I did this fight about 7 times last night, twice again just now before getting it. It's really a tough fight. There's a few reasons for that, but lets look at the attacks first - the Old Mech will do whichever can hit most people - if an attack can't hit half, it'll do Omniblast. Some of these screenshots have the game difficulty set to low, so the damage is...inaccurate.

Crush:

This small area of affect hits for about 70% of your HP, and pushes back to the edges of the hurtbox. It will also stun slightly, if your characters survive it. It's nasty, and just there to prevent you from standing around it and beating the thing to death.

Energy Culverin (a type of cannon)

This attack has a circular area of 13 squares and does moderate damage - roughly half a usual characters' HP. It is the most easy to dodge or resist, but only comes up if you've grouped together at the edges.

Plasma Wave:

Plasma wave is a two part attack, the first time doing a small amount of damage across the entire field, then leaving behind orbs of energy, which explode some turns later to deal additional damage.

Omniblast:

Firing the cannon straight up, every character is marked to take damage in a couple turns. This includes characters who are currently unconscious, too. I didn't realize this, but it doesn't include Zoarbat summons... There's basically no way to avoid this damage - it's about 30-50% of your health. This ability will follow - which is rare for magic in this game. Normally, you set a marker and if the enemy doesn't move, they take the damage. Here, moving doesn't avoid it.

Those are the 4 attacks this thing has, plus a mountain of health. If you're lucky, and your troops are all still alive from the Admiral fight, they will definitely be taken down by the first hit of any of these attacks. While you're scrambling to revive them, Plasmawave and Omniblast aim to keep them down. The orbs left over from Plasmawave especially do that, since they're likely to go off between the time the ally is revived and before the ally can move. Omniblast will track currently unconscious characters, so if you revive them with anything less than 50% health, they'll just go down again when Omniblast hits.

The Old Mech ignores all tertiary effects of attacks. That is, Reeve's flurry of blows doesn't do anything. Pushes don't provide any damage. The shrapnel feature of Luke's arrows always miss. Mushroom and KingZultan were consistantly the only ones who could stay up during the fight. KingZultan thanks to the increased maneuverability of his features and Mushroom thanks to the tankiness of healers in this game. All of Pliskin's Ruin magic has no effect on the mech. It has no vulnerabilities to types, and is immune to almost all conditions.

So, what's the strategy? Well, Stun still works. So does Burn. Switching to Ignis Knight might not be a bad idea here - since fire effects it normally, though the ground is still not flammable. You want to give it the Burn debuff as often as possible, as it'll take damage on each of its turns from that. Stunning it is good so you can move away from Crush's range - Mushroom's anchor has a stun effect and allowed Reeve to toss out a Now! to move Mushroom away. A burning target is also weak to fire damage, so Pliskin returned to classic Scholar to just throw instant fireballs as often as possible. Blind, silence, itchy, poison, decay or any other very good debuff don't work at all - it is also morale immune.
Basically, I DPS raced it. It's too hard to keep everyone revived and bring them back and by sacrificing the turns you end up worse off than before. I gave Zultan some revive items and used those a couple times to get Pliskin back up to toss out MP recovery to everyone before getting killed again. Zultan can dodge almost everything and can move across the map more than anyone else. The guns did consistent damage as well. Luke's fire arrows kept it burning and if Pliskin, Reeve, and Mushroom were up, their attacks did a good amount of damage before they were put down again.

The same issue as the Admiral fight happens here - there's no safe space to group together and buff up, so you're looking at individual buffs instead of Mushroom's area ones.

It's a tough but very rewarding boss fight. I'm sure there are ways to cheese it better, but I'm not very good at video games, so who knows.

When you get it to zero, the Admiral calls you a fool because the Mech was running on the same power as the facility. The floor begins to collapse - he takes some pleasure knowing you'll die here with him. But then!

The Ruluorn began to glow.

Then they warp you out of the arena. I grabbed this screenshot that I thought was hilarious: they didn't warp out Zultan's Zoarbat summon - committing the creature to death in the collapsing castle.

Reeve comments that the creatures saved you. The castle in which these fights took place explodes - then the quest log comes up and the game strikes out the mission: Bring the Admiral to justice. This is decently satisfying.

Then credits roll which are mostly music credits since Sean Hayden and two other Haydens made this entire game (I believe, his wife and brother).

Beating the game unlocks 3 features:
First, you unlock 4 races to play as, listed here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Second, you unlock Ruin difficulty. No idea how hard it is in here, but going by Alvora Tactics - it's fucking rough. Run away from fights just to get away with some XP rough.

Third, you unlock the XP modifier - which allows you to change the percent at which you gain XP. This is really nice for a second play-through - just boosting it by 50% or so makes the game a lot less grindy.

Post game:

There isn't one. The credits end with a "Thank you for playing" and boot you back to the main menu. You can reload your old saves, but there's no way to play with the Admiral dead. I dislike this, but it's fine for such an open game - there'd really be no difference.

-=-=-=-

My favorite boss fight:

Go to Precipice Gaol, sort of to the Northeast.

Inside you find a cool little dungeon with some jumping mazes and an easy fight with some Zoarbats. When you get to the bottom of the dungeon, though - there's something weird about it. It's very atmospheric, and the emptiness of the dungeon puts you on edge.

Moving forward, you notice something is watching you...

You can pull up the "l"ook function to try and figure out what it is, but...

Aspect is a returning enemy from Alvora Tactics (maybe Voidspire, as well -shrug-). As you approach, combat starts and immediately, about 8 other enemies spawn out of the darkness. This fight is similar to the Admiral's, though, in that only Aspect needs to die for you to win. You also start at low morale, and Aspect will hit anyone who looks at it with a lower morale debuff.

The fight is actually not that hard - just pile on Aspect and you can win it. Oil, wet, or slow-down debuffs are excellent to keep Aspect within range of your melee fighters. Basically ignore the chaff. When you win, Reeve gives you a little extra info:

She's understandably disturbed. I believe Hagger and Coss probably have extra dialogue here as well - though I haven't seen it myself. Perhaps, you will.

-=-=-=-

Anyway, that's all for Horizon's Gate. I left out a lot of the exploration, as it's the best and most interesting part of the game. I really recommend you pick this one up, or if you're unsure, Alvora Tactics is cheaper and has basically the same combat system (boats excluded.) Fans also suggest Voidspire is the most "complete" of the games - in that it has a much more in-depth story than the other two. I've just started playing, and am enjoying it a lot.

You can find them on Steam and itch.io.

Thanks for reading!

Looking at the last picture it appears I'm dead and so are two of the others, does that hurt your chances against the big robot guy?

I did try to finish that run - which was last night, I think - and lost within two attacks from the Mech. It's no joke. I would argue that going into the fight with more than 1 ally down means you need to restart, but that depends on party composition, I suppose.

I should mention - when I beat this game the first time, I just turned difficult to minimum after two attempts at this fight. I thought I had over-prepared this team for it, but I was wrong - I think I'm just about on par for what is expected - the boss is possible, just takes attention and a little luck.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:01:51 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 07:08:05 am »

That was fun, thanks for running this.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 08:55:55 am »

Sounds like those last fights are quite grueling, good job.

Out of curiosity, how much of this alternate world lore is there to pave the way for the ending?
I assume with all the exploration that's encouraged, that last part isn't sprung up out of the blue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3