Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to create an easy world?  (Read 2370 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to create an easy world?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 02:30:53 am »

Kobolds, as well as snatchers, ought to be disabled by disabling invaders (I can't guarantee it does that, though). Also, I expect the only way to keep thievery tied to Villains away is to never allow any visitors.

Can be done by setting the taverns and temples to citizens/long-term guests. You can occasionally get necromancers, vampies and werebeasts as tavern guests. ;.; My seven dwarf fort vs. The visitor vampire.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:33 am »

Can be done by setting the taverns and temples to citizens/long-term guests.

Does that stop them from recruiting your dwarves?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 11:31:23 am »

In my latest fortress I used a script that automatically teleported each villain entering the map down to the magma sea for automatic disposal, and I have had no signs of corruption of my dorfs, so yes, I believe it does.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 11:53:06 am »

In my latest fortress I used a script that automatically teleported each villain entering the map down to the magma sea for automatic disposal, and I have had no signs of corruption of my dorfs, so yes, I believe it does.
By "corruption", you mean moral corruption and not data corruption, right?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 01:39:34 pm »

I don't see how that indicates restricting temples and taverns to citizens is a sufficient condition for avoiding theft. It is necessary that the villains are not able to circumvent the rule and that they are not able to corrupt your dwarves elsewhere.

Sure, teleporting them into magma with DFHack will work, but that's not what I'm curious about.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:46:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 03:50:45 pm »

By "corruption", you mean moral corruption and not data corruption, right?
Yes, corruption by Villains. I've had my save corrupted by data corruption (equipment) as well, but that's unrelated (I happened to have a copy of the save to get around the data corruption at the cost of 9 months).

@Bumber: You need to keep visitors out of your library as well, and I think you have to never have allowed any visitors to any facility at any time, as I've had villains "coming to visit my tavern" for months after it was restricted, but not for the years before I allowed visitors. Since the only legal visitors you'd get when everything is restricted are the useless (in my opinion) monster slayers, you're better off setting the visitor cap to 0.
I've never had any villain pose as a monster slayer, though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 07:34:15 pm »

Thanks all I will try . What are my goals.. learn dwarf fortress and to be self sufficient and see what happens. (hence why I want the minerals and tress and river)
Here's a world and embark that should help you reach those goals, ringworm24.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 03:26:50 pm »

I like only so much cotton wool around my embark.

Since the only legal visitors you'd get when everything is restricted are the useless (in my opinion) monster slayers, you're better off setting the visitor cap to 0.
I've never had any villain pose as a monster slayer, though.

Honestly, I've had visitors enabled on emarks for 50+ years combined on a variety of 7 dwarf forts. Only this one finally had a problem with a vampire after 10 years in one after so many forts. I get a bit more worried about 'dabbling schemer' that the guests seem to create, and I've never seen a problem with that.

Honestly, anyone learning the game should probably just leave visitors on until they either learn the mechanic or get frustrated by it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:39:58 pm by Kobold6 »
Pages: 1 [2]