Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advancing a civilization's animal knowledge with many forts.  (Read 2081 times)

roachmilkfarmer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Someone told me to ask this here.

Wiki says an individual fort would take 88 years of caravan trade to have it's civilization knowledge of a kind of animal bumped up to "expert".

Could I speed this up by setting up multiple forts all with advanced animal trainning operations for one specie (as long as their individual knowledge was higher than the civilization's level), or would my retired forts stop contributing to the civilization with their giant tortoise knowledge?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Advancing a civilization's animal knowledge with many forts.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:30:29 pm »

I've no idea how it progresses, but I would think more successful acts of training/animal would drive the chances upwards.

The game does not report success/unseccess, however, the player can achieve unsuccess by placing a taming request on a creature not able to reach a taming activity zone.

I only play one fort, cannot help with your main inquery.

The fastest way I found is with many Animal Tamers, and many animal kids, all set to A, any available tamer. Just using one highly skilled tamer, a bunch of times, works, but is slowed down by his/her NEEDS and path finding.. 

Off duty medics make great tamers, as their job, medic is 90% inactivity, especially once your soldiery gets good at dodging.

If you run dfHack.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 03:37:40 pm »

Another, unsuccess training occurs with trainig requests on named flyers, this bugs the trainer out forever, until named pet is sent to a reachable 1z high activity zone.

Again, sorry for not having any knowledge on the AI training in 2nd and 3rd forts. If you took their fort with an Animal Trainer with a breeding pair of partially tamed pets, I suppose it would be possible.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:35:03 am »

Training knowledge is transferred back to the civ at a very slow rate, with my unreliable memory thinking it is 1% per year (this is provided there is knowledge to transfer, of course). It's also impossible to ever reach the Tame level for a species.

I don't know if multiple retired player fortresses have been tried, but I'd expect only the current one to contribute, but not that this is a guess only.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 04:03:05 am »

For all intensive purposes, fully taming a species is just a unimplemented feature 

Training knowledge is transferred back to the civ at a very slow rate, with my unreliable memory thinking it is 1% per year (this is provided there is knowledge to transfer, of course). It's also impossible to ever reach the Tame level for a species.

I don't know if multiple retired player fortresses have been tried, but I'd expect only the current one to contribute, but not that this is a guess only.

Its based on animal value, high value yet common animals (likely through internal breeding programmes, you can breed yeti's wild but if you modded the game, you could train them much easier) will jump up quickly, providing you cycle letting unicorns & dragons go wild then be retrained, you'll earn the most collective experience. Its poorly balanced, mundane creatures will be hard to tame at a civ level even if the individual experience of the will be high, crundles are worth nothing, and are absolutely everywhere.

GCS's often accrue experience quite well, and they're not wholly uncommon either and have the best conditions for going wild again for repeat application upon reproduction (same with cave dragons) but no published DF player tests have ever tamed them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:24:04 am »

You can't tame GCS fully, as they have no child state.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 10:41:42 am »

You can't tame GCS fully, as they have no child state.

It would be possible from the unachievable domesticated status, through repeated civilization experience, i was mentioning it as a easy target because of that fact rather than waiting for them to wind down and become feral again. When domesticated civ-knowledge animals from [ANIMAL] (on entity modding for 'always availbile') or finding them in the wild (horses for instance) are tamed, they become tame adults.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 01:30:02 pm »

GCS are breeding in my dry moat. Once sufficient numbers exist, Ill seal dry moat up, Carve fortifications in outer wall of moat and cheat untame the GCS in dfHack. tame -set 9, so they fire their webs.

Gameplan: Anything coming close to outer wall will be webbed through fortifications. This should keep me in silk. May slow down my hauling, however.

I can confirm GCS have no childstate.  Trick, I am guessing, will be keeping my Weavers alive and all out of the dry moat. Its got a roof and levered access. Crossfingers.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:39 pm »

You can buy tame GCS, if caravan is from civ that have spiders as pets. More spiders will born as tame.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 04:41:26 pm »

I'd guess kobolds have GCS as pets, but they don't trade...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 06:36:30 pm »

It's possible to raid them and steal their livestock.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:26 am »

Yes, but that's a curious way of buying from a caravan...

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 06:49:03 pm »

I'd guess kobolds have GCS as pets, but they don't trade...
They can be modded for trade. Their only problem - they lack wagon pullers (or pack animals). Stolen items bug isn't real problem. Friendly kobolds rarely exist in world.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:32 am »

To OP, this should be relatively testable, right? If you capture and tame a creature, getting the fort's familiarity to quite high, then retire and start again, 4 forts would put this into a reasonable range of testing (22 years, if consistent).

Obtaining tame creatures (via trade or raid) will do nothing for training experience or familiarity.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 12:29:25 am »

To OP, this should be relatively testable, right? If you capture and tame a creature, getting the fort's familiarity to quite high, then retire and start again, 4 forts would put this into a reasonable range of testing (22 years, if consistent).

Obtaining tame creatures (via trade or raid) will do nothing for training experience or familiarity.
Tame creatures give birth of tame creatures. So you can have tame pop of GSC or crundles.
Pages: [1] 2