Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best portable device for playing DF 2020?  (Read 2786 times)

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best portable device for playing DF 2020?
« on: July 27, 2020, 02:02:19 pm »

In reference to this thread which I didnt want to necro since it's 2+ years old.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169186.0

Ever since the steam announcement I've been getting back into DF and RimWorld. But for the most part I generally play while watching something on netflix or listening to a podcast. But I want to shift from my computer room to the couch to spend time with my wife while she watches stuff.

I tried using my wife's ipad and Mifki's remote fortress ap but that really does not do it for me... Plus, I sometimes have to go out of town to job sites for work so it would be nice to run the thing locally on the machine.

So we are back to the age old question... whats the best/cheapest laptop for dwarf fortress. Needs a fast single core clock speed plus 16gb of ram and a large cache size? Is there really anything else needed?

Anyone have a laptop that DF runs well on?

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best portable device for playing DF 2020?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 07:46:15 pm »

The 16gb of RAM and large cache are definitely not requirements, and I doubt they'd do much to help the game's performance further than regular RAM size and cache. Fast clock speed helps a lot, though.

For most, your choice of device shouldn't depend much on the specs or on the game, but on how you plan on using it/playing.

Some things to consider:
* Keyboard with numpad helps a lot. I can't imagine playing without numberpad, but if you don't care this doesn't really matter.
* You can generate worlds on faster/more stable devices, zip it, then transfer to your laptop. I keep a lot of worlds in a pendrive for playing in different places.
* Assuming you haven't already, read this guide on maximizing performance (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_framerate). Changing your G_FPS configuration from 50 down to 20 or 15 is the most significant and the change in gameplay experience is barely noticeable (if at all). This is a must for playing in any device, for me at least.

Whatever you get should run DF just fine, as long as it's not busy running other stuff at the same time and the OS is well updated.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:16:37 am »

DF needs less than 1.5 GB of RAM to exist fully in memory, so a 4GB machine can run DF faster than a 16GB machine if the memory moves info faster.

I know I am assuming Windows will take less than 2GB and that running other apps is unimportant, but what I mean is... don't get an older model because it has twice the RAM. Get the model with the newer mainboard and faster RAM. My opinon is that CPU single-core speed is important and CPU cache is important, but because DF will reside in RAM and because there is a constant switching/replacing of data in the cache, the rate at which data is transferred between RAM and the CPU will be the bottleneck.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »

Large cache likely won't improve performance but only because the game's probably not super cache miss efficient.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 04:44:46 pm »

Normal table computer on wheelbarrow, with solar panel, accumulator and inverter.

T-362

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 12:51:33 pm »

So we are back to the age old question... whats the best/cheapest laptop for dwarf fortress.
Check GPD devices. Its a 'small' Chinese electronic company, and they make pocket-size laptops and similar devices with really good hardware inside and x86/64. Sort of expensive but way cheaper and more powerful than some Microsoft Surface.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:55:22 am »

Have you considered just playing remotely using ssh X-forwarding, VNC, or remote desktop? If you have a desktop which supports Wake-on-LAN (most do), you don't even need to leave it switched on when you're away.
I imagine any proper remote desktop software would work a lot better than a mobile app for playing DF.