Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complaining a bit about unretired fort bug  (Read 1528 times)

Beer Beard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Complaining a bit about unretired fort bug
« on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:04 am »

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=621

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/ex4yax/retiring_and_unretiring/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/83enea/retired_my_fort_and_came_back_to_find_puddles_of/

Isn't this a crucial bug? I just can't play nice if my whole fortress after my unretirement pours all the alcohol on the floor and dwarves begin to suffer from dehydration.
This bug is already YEARS old, so I can only imagine that Toady doesn't expect me to play switching between two modes: Fortress and Adventurer.
I respect him for fixing bugs in general, but why doesn't he fix such a key things?

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complaining a bit about unretired fort bug
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:52:33 am »

There are a lot of bugs that make features of this game almost unusable as intended.

Learning to play DF involves learning workarounds for a lot of things, some of them very fiddly and non intuitive, and not even using some other things.

I sometimes question the development choice of adding more features while some key elements of the game are so unpolished and broken, but whatever, at least the game is being developed by people that care and is passionate about it.

And the community and third party tools developed for the game are great.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:10 pm »

Unretirement is certainly a major step. Your booze is gone. Your cabinets and chests are un-built. Your stockpiles are messed up. Room designations have to be re-done. Animals are scattered. It's quite a bit of work with a mature fort, though not a big deal with a new fort.

Now consider the upside to retirement. Suppose that you have an excellent fortress with legendary craftsmen, battle-hardened soldiers, and fabulous wealth. And your fortress is dying from low FPS and data corruption causing CTDs. You want a fresh FPS without starting from scratch.

So start a new fort close to the old fort. Dig a few rooms. Build a few pedestals. Retire the new fort. Start an adventurer with a pack animal. Haul your high-value items from the old fort to the new fort. You can haul as many as you want, though not more than about 500 at a time.

Now unretire your new fort. Cleanup is minimal, because the fort is so young. You have a fresh FPS. You have piles and piles of useful items that you've brought over. And most of your migrants will be high-skill dwarves from your old fort. Your new fort will develop much faster than if you had started from scratch.

Maybe this approach lacks the usual drama and desperation of seven inexperienced dwarves striking the earth. But it also enables much grander projects than are possible in a single fort, such as taking over the world.

Here's my checklist for retiring a fort.
Edit: Fixed link.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:34:50 am by Leonidas »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »

[url=http://Here's my checklist for retiring a fort]Here's my checklist for retiring a fort[/url].

Your link is broken.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:20:43 pm »

[url=http://Here's my checklist for retiring a fort]Here's my checklist for retiring a fort[/url].

Your link is broken.
here
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 05:27:06 pm »

The abundance of bugs is by far the most annoying thing about Dwarf Fortress.
Don't get me wrong, it's an incredible game, but it's frustrating to have my plans repeatedly thwarted by broken game mechanics rather than cunning enemies. It feels like a lot of the game's depth isn't really accessible because all the complex features are riddled with bugs.
Maybe it's just going through a rough patch at the moment because Toady has been under pressure to make progress on the Steam/GOG release.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:06:17 am »

Food stockpiles remain after unretire.
If you have enough food stored and enough brewers, making enough booze again should be easy.
In my opinion one of the lesser bugs involved with unretire.
One of the worst is having a hundred plus merchants or other visitors that are added to your fortress and remain there while not interacting (they are marked hostile, but are not aggressive due to wrong tags).
Rebuilding all chests and cabinets is annoying. However it gives the opportunity to improve everything.

These bugs and inconveniencies are around from way before the steam project started. I expect them to remain for a while longer. The issues will be addressed when that part of the software is changed for new features.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 10:39:42 am »

One of the worst is having a hundred plus merchants or other visitors that are added to your fortress and remain there while not interacting (they are marked hostile, but are not aggressive due to wrong tags).

I did some experimenting with this. You can get rid of most of those bugged visitors by eliminating the activity zones that attract them. Before retirement, wipe out all taverns, libraries, and temples. Guildhalls might also draw visitors, but I've never seen it happen. Without those zones you still might draw monster hunters, since they don't need a zone. But you shouldn't get anyone else.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:58:27 pm by Leonidas »