Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strategies on dealing with NEEDS  (Read 4853 times)

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strategies on dealing with NEEDS
« on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:54 am »

I want to know how you people manage your dorf's needs, ranging from extreme solutions, such as intensive micromanagement, to fairly simple fort design choices and clever manipulation of rooms/zones. I'm a dirty cheater so clever hacking suggestions are also welcome, as long as they don't completely overhaul the needs/stress system, but somewhat balance it to be more bearable.

I'll explain what I usually do.

The first two preliminary measures I take are:

* Use Dwarf Therapist for setting specific labors for needy dwarves and for the needs tab so I don't need to spend a whole hour looking at each dwarf's thoughts

* Give every single dorf a human nickname (player human, not in game human), so I can more easily recognize them and if they're male or female, etc. To make it easier to recognize those nicknamed urists in other, in game contexts I repeat their given name. For example, Lorbam Lūktosid becomes 'Peter Lorbam' Lūktosid. Having a familiar name on them makes it easier to recognize and remember their other aspects. This is more feasible for small forts, but you can use online random name generators to help with large populations. Plus, it's fun, at least for me.

Now, for the specific needs:

* Socialize
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* Drink Alcohol

* Pray/Meditate

* Stay Occupied

* Be Creative

* Excitement

* Learn something

* Be with family

* Be with friends

* Hear eloquence

* Uphold tradition

* Self-Examination

* Make merry

* Craft object

* Martial training

* Practice skill

* Take it easy

* Make romance

* See animal

* See great beast

* Acquire object

* Eat good meal

* Fight

* Cause trouble AND Argue

* Be extravagant

* Wander

* Help somebody

* Think abstractly

* Admire art

Some caveats:
- Scholars must be released from their position to effectively do stuff you tell them to. You can give them a custom profession name to make it easier to reassign their scholarship.
- Even when inactive, military dwarves will perform combat drill over a lot of other stuff. Removing the barrack designation will fix this.
- Some greedy dwarves will 'acquire' so much stuff that it'll slow them down if they are weak. One solution is to set them to a squad with regular clothes as the uniform, with Replace clothing turned on. Do this when they are close to their room, so they don't spend the rest of the month putting their junk away.
- When dwarves gain children or siblings, their love propensity will usually go up, allowing them to form friendships more often, and the children with siblings will more easily form a romantic relationship later in life. This also makes positive thoughts stronger, due to changing some other personality traits. So forts with lots of married couples/families will have an easier time dealing with stress, assuming something catastrophic doesn't happen to the ones they love.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 06:32:13 pm by Jundavr »
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Strategies on dealing with NEEDS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:49 pm »

Another way to solve milita dwarves issue is to exclude the barracks building from their burrow; they'll still train while active this way.

And of course both them and scholars can play "the floor is grates that drop you down occassionally".

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 06:54:16 pm »

Inspired by this this post, I decided to set up a large tavern, make a bunch of instruments and let my dwarves dance.

As it turns out, dancing fills the need for excitement as well. I still think it's much easier to use the militia fort method and attack something behind fortifications, as it also fills the need to fight.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »

Another thing I just noticed while ordering my entire fort to MOVE NEAR a stranded Reacher, for the Fight and Excitement needs: when the dwarves sees the Reacher and a conflict is estabilished, a lot of other dwarves will want to attack the Reacher in order to HELP the dwarf who got in the conflict in the first place. This process repeats several times for different dwarves, and this satisfied the Help somebody need for everybody.

Good news is that I no longer need to keep a bunch of caged Dralthas for them to feed.

Bad news is now they are all getting vengeful negative thoughts, but that's hardly any problem, as the needs regimen I have right now gives them a lot of positive thoughts and wards away many more.

Chances of this happening are probably related to wether the helping dwarves are friends/family/acquaintances with the dwarf who got into conflict. If that's the case, "Long term acquaintance" status is enough, as I have a dwarf who has no friends nor family and got the need satisfied.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:26:13 pm by Jundavr »

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:06:59 pm »

Regarding the meals:  I've found that they'll get a mild satisfied thought if they eat the desired ingredient raw, so I won't necessarily cook unless either
a) the ingredient is rare enough (usually from a trader and tends to be fish.  Meat's too hard to figure out which unless you catch them eating the desired part and note it down somewhere)
b) is alcohol.
In those two situations, I'll use the stockpiles to create a desired meal (usually 3 stacks of eggs or leaves and one stack of the rare or liquid ingredient).  Or easier if I use one the normal dfhack (only reason I've used it so far) or PatrikLundell's script that allows me to pick the inventory a bit better, since the current dfhack limits it to "fish" rather than the specific fish, or specific meat (haven't found a dwarf that cared about eggs yet).

I enjoy the cooking thing so will do it for fun, or if I need some non-favorite foods to sell earlier in the game (4 stacks of eggs).

I've noticed that the dwarves food preferences will increase over time so though the dwarf may only have gutter curor to start with, they might get something simpler like dwarven wine some years later. (Edit: that is, dwarven wine in addition to the guttter curor, however using a solid food example like spinach would be more likely, because I don't think I've seen a dwarf gain another liquid preference when it already has one)

I do use dwarf therapist's preferences tab to look over the food preferences from time to time and take a look at the dwarves that I'm struggling with.

Once you do have a desired ingredient, then cooking gives that chance to make the plain old satisfying thought into a positive thought.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 09:15:28 pm by KevinM »