Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 4  (Read 11501 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 0
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »

Non Magic Action: Search for materials for construction

Magic Action: Try using magic to help with actually building the classrooms

I reformatted my post, please mention if there are any redundancies

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 0
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2020, 08:20:05 pm »

Ask for a volunteer from among the students, choosing the smartest and fastest looking kid to speak up.  Ask their name, and declare them my personal assistant for the next month.  If they prove themselves dedicated and hard working, they may get to retain the position!

For the magical action, Vids will start creating basic paper golems, slightly larger than the kids.  These ones will be flimsy, not particularly strong, just meant to be low level menial staff.  They should be decently intelligent, able to follow simple orders like "write that down", but don't need to think for themselves.  Create however many is reasonable for a practised golem maker working over a month--I have no clue whether creating a single simple golem takes a few hours, or a few weeks.  Have the kid provide basic menial assistance during this, and allow them to draw on the papers if they like; some friendly smiley faces would be a great addition, don't you think?

For the nonmagical action, go visit whatever passes for the local doctors in this city.  Has their medical technology advanced beyond "amputate the limb really fast", yet?  Vids will try to ingratiate himself with them, perhaps offer advice or assistance if his Flesh and Golem-making specialities give him medical skills (why wouldn't they?  People are basically natural flesh golems.)  And again, have the kid tag along during this, talk to them about anatomy and the mechanics of life during any downtime.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 1
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2020, 07:18:11 pm »

Turn 1: In which the school is built

Constructing the school

Magic Action: Use my plant path to start building the campus, prioritising the student and teacher residences.
Non Magic Action: Search for materials for construction

Magic Action: Try using magic to help with actually building the classrooms

Start work on a kinetic negator for the school, a device that will allow it to float high above the town! That way we won't have to worry about explosions damaging the nearby buildings. Or maybe just a device to stabilize it, if my colleagues go for a different design, like a giant treehouse on a giant tree or something.

Dalia walks down to the Ockell docks, and comes back with several wagons of cut stone, wood and brick, ready building supplies with the mayor's compliments. A handful of West Isle labourers also arrive, presumably sent by the town council as a gesture of goodwill.

The magical aspect of the building work is brought off without a hitch, as the wizards are able to draw from the bottom of the wellspring of positive arcane energy in Ockell, siphoning off the really good stuff, the condensed magic that has been accumulating for millenia, powerful and ready to use. Arcane energy this good is hard to come by.

Dalia and Oak start by creating the dormitories, common rooms and teacher's bedrooms, growing trees and bushes into ever more enclosed grottoes and thickets until the living wood forms irregular walls and roofs, punctuated by doors and windows of woven twigs. A thick canopy covers the buildings to insulate and waterproof them, while brambles and thorny roses spring up to form fences. Mostly created with wild magic, the plants and evergreens still twitch and sway with a more than vegetable motion, retaining not a little magical energy in their roots and trunks. The accomodation is luxurious, with beds and armchairs covered in thick layers of soft moss, polished oak panelling on the walls and bioluminescent flowers lighting the halls with soft and shifting colours.

Dr. Kansei meanwhile spends the month unpacking his many tools and components, and building a Kinetic Negator. Encased in a sphere of polished steel as tall as a man, it floats fifty feet above the ground, the reflective surface shimmering imperceptibly. Smaller spheres are embedded in the foundations of the teaching rooms, studies and lecture halls constructed from mundane materials, remotely linked to the Negator. These rooms float freely through the air, orbiting the great still ball of steel at the centre of the school, drifting in slow circles around it. They dip almost to the ground, disappearing beneath the dense canopy the plant mages have created. The trees grow wooden steps and platforms to allow people on and off the floating rooms, branches gently stretching out towards the doors.

Non Magic Action: Design the shape of the wizard school to be a large ritual diagram.
[2]

You create several plans for the school, but nobody actually uses them. The plant mages grow stuff in their organic, chaotic patterns, and Dr Kansei just stares blankly at you when you suggest new orbits for the buildings, before walking off mumbling something about circles and angular momentum and gravitons.

Diverse other matters

On my free time, go around looking for what this town has to offer. Find where they brew the best coffee. Find what kind of vehicles or animals they use for transportation. Find out what they use for communicating. Generally try to figure out what kind of problems they seem to be facing or what kind of niches could be created or filled by a mage so that we can provide the necessary knowledge and choices to our little knowledge-sponges to ensure future employment (remember that they don't necessarily have to be workers, they can also be diplomats or idols or whatever). Hopefully one of those needs is racing or high speed transportation.
  You spend some time in the coffee shops and taverns, chatting with locals and leaning on street corners. The West Isle uses carts and oxen, carriages and horses. Not particularly carefully-bred horses either. Communication is done via messengers and letters, or for some Merril gentlefolk, messenger pigeons.

As far as needs go, the folk of the West Isle, and indeed all across the Wyvish sea are very much in need of better transport. Any ship that leaves the gentle waters between Codnor and Morken exposes itself to the great storms that sweep in from the South from time to time. The situation is even worse for the few ports that look out onto the furious waters of the open sea. Roads are workable but slow, and nothing here's faster than a good horse.

Their technology is fairly primitive overall really - they can just about handle clockwork. There's room for improvement in pretty much all areas: industry, agriculture, medicine, warfare, you name it. Having any kind of competent mage around would be immensely useful to these folk - they could grow more, build better, travel faster and live longer.

Magic Action: No magic, but do some research into this island's occult history. Are there fairies or imps or the like to contract with? [/b]
You spend several weeks wandering through Ockell and the nearby villages, visiting the shrines, talking to the various local historians, squeezing your bulk through narrow doors into dim huts in order to listen to old women telling stories.

The most obvious occult beings on the island are indeed fairies, a good many of which are said to inhabit the Mosswoods, the rest scattered throughout the island. Tales even indicate the presence of some form of fairy court, an interesting prospect indeed. A few of the older, stranger stories, barely surviving and changed almost completely, involve beings referred to as Mountain Fay, inhabiting the mountains at the centre of the island. These stories are stranger and more violent than the rest, and involve creatures that don't show the usual fairy sense of humour or distaste for combat. You suspect that these things are not fairies at all, but something stranger and more obscure.

Aside from fay, there are various other beings one might contract with. There are three major river spirits: Geffid of the Gef that runs through Ockell, the Bull of the Usk that runs through the southern part of the island, and the mysterious Tall Woman of the Blacktorrent in the frigid west of the Isle. The shrines of the first two in Ockell are festooned with offerings from traders that sail the Gef and farmers whose livelihood depends on the bounty of the farmlands around the Usk. The latter has a more modest shrine, built from the dark stone of the West rather than the marble of the Jaw, but well maintained by folk from towns like Hookwind. Aside from that, there's the ancient spirit Fyn, guardian of the Wyvish sea, the subject of so many prayers and tales that any characteristics have been worn away, leaving it without title, gender, species, until hardly a name remains. And there are always the dark and terrible things that lurk the the Deep of the open sea.

Ask for a volunteer from among the students, choosing the smartest and fastest looking kid to speak up.  Ask their name, and declare them my personal assistant for the next month.  If they prove themselves dedicated and hard working, they may get to retain the position!

For the magical action, Vids will start creating basic paper golems, slightly larger than the kids.  These ones will be flimsy, not particularly strong, just meant to be low level menial staff.  They should be decently intelligent, able to follow simple orders like "write that down", but don't need to think for themselves.  Create however many is reasonable for a practised golem maker working over a month--I have no clue whether creating a single simple golem takes a few hours, or a few weeks.  Have the kid provide basic menial assistance during this, and allow them to draw on the papers if they like; some friendly smiley faces would be a great addition, don't you think?

For the nonmagical action, go visit whatever passes for the local doctors in this city.  Has their medical technology advanced beyond "amputate the limb really fast", yet?  Vids will try to ingratiate himself with them, perhaps offer advice or assistance if his Flesh and Golem-making specialities give him medical skills (why wouldn't they?  People are basically natural flesh golems.)  And again, have the kid tag along during this, talk to them about anatomy and the mechanics of life during any downtime.
You take one child as an assistant, Rachel. She's bright enough, but can't read or write much like the rest of them. Good enough to fetch and carry, but not particularly interested in the work. She does take an interest in your discourses on life magic, although you never seem to have time to go into detail.

The Ockell doctors have got to the "cut it off fast, apply alcohol or a really hot blade or something" stage of medical technology. There's also a much older oral tradition of folk remedies based on various herbs and organics, looked down upon by the doctors but probably a little more effective than their saws and scalpels. Your expertise in flesh magic allows you to easily complete a few operations they'd find impossible, such as restoring a mangled leg or closing a mortal wound. A handful of brief conversations advance the medical knowledge of the Wyvish sea more than the last decade of research, as you've studied human bodies in a genuine university. Granted, you are most definitely not a medical wizard, but you're more than good enough to be the best healer in the hospital.

Refreshed by these easy successes, you set about making paper golems. It isn't that easy to obtain cheap paper here - while this place has printing, the written word isn't too highly thought of yet. Nonetheless, you get hold of sheets of rough card and begin cutting out body shapes, ready to animate.

[1]

It does not go well. While you initially create two dozen simple paper golems, capable of understanding and following simple orders, you forget how important shapes and symbols were to non-flesh golems. Perhaps you should have paid more attention in lectures, rather than dreaming of an Omni-horse. Letting the children draw on the golems proves to be a terrible mistake, as the thaumaturgically meaningless squiggles and lines reprogram the simple beings at random. The paper constructs become what a layman would term "insane".

Naturally, the fact that they're variously attacking the children, trying to store them in cupboards or attempting to sweep the floor with them isn't a huge issue, as the golems are made of paper and invariably lose in a fight. Nonetheless, the survivors of the battle retreat into the floating classrooms and lecture halls, swooping from room to room on the breeze, and hurling pens at those below.

"Leave the buildings to me," Oak says with a graceful bow.

Non-Magic Action: Familiarise myself with the students of Class A and B, giving special attention to those with talent or an exceptional background.
You get to know the students better, talking to them about where they're from, what games they like, what the next move will be in the campaign against the airborne paper golems... Huh?

By the end of the month, they know you quite well. You've managed to memorise most of their names, and have had a good conversation with each of them. Hard to say whether any of them are exceptional, as they're all from pretty ordinary backgrounds, and none have done any magic yet.

Magim Somar'ahneiro blinks. "Doctor Ifto, did you just declare me to be the secretary?" He begins calm, but sounds almost indignant at the end of his sentence.
Then, however, Magim places his right hand on his chin. "Actually... hmm. I suppose that, uh... twelve might be too young to teach them the great and terrible power of dreambattle. Definitely not as their first glimpse of magic. But then again..." That's probably not what's actually running through his head.

Non-magic action: Meet with the mayor and town elders to reassure them. It's not as if the world will turn upside-down in a day and a night; you'll have three years to watch Class A and Class B grow from children into wizards.
Magic action:
In dreams, things are often reduced to caricatures of themselves. That is the easy part. To restrict what is affected, and guide the simplification, is more difficult. Create an artifact that uses the simplification of Dream to purify any body of water it is placed in.
You have an easy job of reassuring the mayor and town elders, who are pleased to talk with you, growing a little less nervous in your presence. Their agitation apparently stems from excessive respect for your power, rather than any knowledge of your somewhat... speckled history. Your colleagues have been extremely competent in creating the school premises, with crowds arriving hourly to gawk at the new trees and floating buildings. Vids has worked a few miracles in the hospital, ensuring gratitude and admiration. Nobody knows about the paper golem rebellion yet, and you intend to keep it that way.

On to the dream purifier. Purifying water is pretty simple, and doesn't always require magic, so even a combat mage has an even chance of getting this right.

[5]

You create a ball of rags, several good dreams woven into them, obtained from students sleeping peacefully in the shade of the school trees. Water strained through it will slip briefly into the dreams, turning into pleasant, crystal clear "water" without impurities or imperfections, and passing out again into the real world. It's not that fast, but these things don't necessarily have to be. And it purifies water alright.

Spoiler: School Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Naturegirl: (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2020, 08:54:06 pm »

"Perhaps it is time to show these kids what magic can do. Or better yet, what they could one day do with magic. I think those paper golems might make an excellent opportunity, especially for you Magim. I'll start working on a little something of my own..." Kansei said while glancing towards the door.
These monthly meetings were somewhat boring and he was eager to be done with them.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2020, 09:11:43 pm »

I would like to apply to the waitlist.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Taking players!
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2020, 10:12:41 pm »

"You are absolutely right. It's high time we find out what magic can do to these kids. I think it is time for a field trip! These woddy rooms are fnatastic, but are tehy as fantastic as the Nature from which they arise? Let's find out!"
Non Magic Action: Take the students boating. Lecture on the delights and dangers of contractual magic. As Homework, require each child to develop a practice contract, that they will bring to me. I will role play the being with which they seek to contract, and will respond as that being would. Make sure failures are felt most painfully. Also, make sure each of my class sessions has an excellent shared meal. Food is important to a growing body, mind, soul, and community.
Magic Action: Perform a fey ritual to attract wood sprites from Mosswood to take up residence in our living facilities.

Spoiler: Hori Heera (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: active mages (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 1
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2020, 11:50:50 pm »

For the magical action, Vids will involve himself with the war on the paper golems, organizing a project for both classes to capture golems.  Students who successfully capture golems will be publically congratulated on their work in front of their classmates.  Then, Vids will lead a demonstration on how to disenchant golems, teaching magical golem theory as part of the demonstrations.  On days where no golems are captured, he will simply explain how golem minds work, attempting to attach the theory with the real-world activity of capturing golems.

For the nonmagical action, Vids will teach classes on anatomy, medecine, and the rudimentary basics of life magic. 

During both actions, keep a special eye out for students who are particularly interested in the subjects, or show particular talent.  Vids would rather have a few dedicated apprentices than a gaggle of disinterested children.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2020, 05:12:51 am »

"Insane paper golems? To think that my first month here would be so... exciting."

Magic Action: Buy grape seeds and use magic to speed up their growth, focusing on yield and taste if possible.

Non-Magic Action: Research the market for wine in the town, and get into contact with local brewers. Are there any magical spirits/creatures known for brewing?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:20 pm »

I'm going to write my plan for the future, feel free to ignore parts of it or cut it short if it's too much or wouldn't fit within a month.

Mundane Action: Start teaching the children the basics of Tinkering and Kinetics.

First, I'll need a workshop. Find a nice open classroom with good light, good ventilation and the least burnable-looking walls. Place 5 workbenches arranged in a semicircle around a sixth workbench (the one I'll use), as well as sturdy closets/chests that I will fill with equipment and materials, making sure they are all locked when I'm done. Also get some writing utensils/materials for the children and distribute them to them. Also get them a simple handheld chalkboard and some pieces of chalk for simple notes/calculations and writing practice. If paper and ink is too fragile or too expensive then just the portable chalkboard will do for now. (I'm probably going to require help hauling all those things, maybe hire some workers or find some volunteers to help.)

Then I will start actually teaching. Theory can be common to all classes and happen at some normal classroom, lab work and demonstrations will happen at the class with the workbenches that I prepared and will be split between class A and class B so that I can better focus on the individual students. The ten students of each class will be divided in groups of two, each assigned to their own workbench. (Be sure to help children that have trouble making friends/finding a partner by assigning a partner to them. It will be good to see some friendships form. Or maybe rivalries, rivalries are good too. I'll allow students to swap groups but only if all interested parties come to me first and explain their reasons for it.)

For the subject matter itself, I'll start by explaining the basics of what magic and technology is and their place in our understanding of the world (or reminding/quizzing them of the explanation, should the other professors have already talked about it). I'll also say some very broad introductory things about the class and give some easy to understand examples of what it's all about.

After introducing the children to myself and to the class, it is vitally important that I assess their ability to read and write as well as their ability to handle basic mathematics (addition, multiplication, etc.). No need for a test or anything like that, just some questions will do, so that I know what holes I need to fill in their prerequisite knowledge. You need to learn how to walk before you can run (plus it would reflect poorly on our school if our students didn't know how to calculate their payment or keep track of the cost of their materials). If there are students with particularly large gaps in knowledge take note of them and have them meet me after school for extra classes meant to fill those gaps. Don't let this part of the class drag on too long, I don't want them getting bored. If it looks like I'm losing them, move on to the next subject and do revisions on reading, writing and mathematics from time to time (maybe every 3 days?).

Then I'll move on to the basics of Kinetic magic and Tinkering, their place in our understanding of the world, their usefulness (in very broad strokes), the basics of their notation and terminology and some of the basic tools and materials used for them. I will perform simple tasks or assemble simple components and then demonstrate their function and then they will copy what I did to learn it. As part of the final lessons before their project I'll construct a very basic device demonstrating those principles (maybe a simple magic wand that can move ball bearings around?). While in the workshop make sure to highlight not only how the devices work and how they're constructed but also the proper way to handle and care for one's tools and workspace as well as how to properly test devices without endangering oneself or others and how to properly secure, store and deactivate them when you're done.

Finally, I'll hand the groups some relatively safe tools and materials and help them construct a similar device that uses the principles I just explained, taking care to answer any questions, repeat any demonstrations they wish to see again and help those that become stuck while at the same time making certain they don't build anything dangerous, like a gun. Make sure to ask questions to both members of the group to make sure one isn't carrying the other while the other learns nothing.

Give them more freedom about what kind of device they're going to make and how they're going to implement it. Most will probably just copy me but maybe someone will see what they've learned and what's in front of them and come up with some interesting idea or variation, like a different way to attach the power source or making a simple "perpetual" motion device. Even if it doesn't work, it would be a great indicator of their potential (or at least their ambition and confidence) so be sure to mention that to them so that they're not discouraged if they fail. If anyone finishes way before the others, then encourage them to experiment with and improve their own device or challenge them to a simple race or tug of war using the device I constructed for the demonstration and then have them challenge each other.

However, make it very clear that nobody will be allowed to keep their devices nor will they be allowed in the workshop without my supervision. Only when I'm confident that they have mastered the basics will I be allowing them access without my supervision. And even then access to certain materials will require my approval.

Lessons will continue in this manner. The idea is to keep the lessons interesting and comprehensible by having them encompass a "vertical slice", going from an explanation of the basic ideas and principles to a more technical explanation and demonstrations (perhaps with the children following along in their workbenches) to a project where their knowledge is demonstrated and reinforced and combined with lessons learned on previous projects. Through this I also want to make sure they become interested in Tinkering, on working on things, improving them, taking them apart, experimenting, to feel the joy of making something that works with their own two hands. Anyone can learn the basics of Tinkering, but to become a great Tinkerer one must be interested in it, they must enjoy it, it must be something they'd be willing to do unpaid on their spare time. If I'm able to instill even a tenth of my enthusiasm in them I'm certain they'll become great Tinkerers.

I fully expect this action to take longer than a month, especially since I (and hopefully the other teachers) will also have to be helping them with learning how to read and write.

On the one hand, having a group of normal children meant he didn't have to deal with know-it-all jerks, pretentious snobs and spoiled rich kids. On the other hand it also meant he had to waste time teaching them basic things like reading and writing. That's not exactly what he was expecting from a job called "magic teacher". Kansei will just have to do his best to resist the urge to rush to the good stuff.

Magical Action: Create a simple Broomstick. Nothing fancy, I just need a simple flying machine, though it would be nice if it had some room for expansion, you know, for later improvements. Just because there's nobody to compete with here (yet) doesn't mean I shouldn't be ready to start making it faster.

I'm going to be using it for a demonstration for the children, something like this:

"Come on then! Hurry up, hurry up!" Kansei called out to the children, even though he was probably the slowest amongst them.
With one arm holding his cane and the other the Broomstick he wasn't breaking any speed records. Still he smiled and called out as he walked up the gentle slope, unable to conceal his excitement and impatience. The Broomstick was wrapped in a simple cloth covering in order to to conceal it and maintain the surprise.

After a bit more walking he paused and inspected his surroundings. A large open plain on top of a hill overlooking the city. There were a few trees next to an old cottage house but they were a good distance away. He'd chosen this area for its great view combined with a flat surface with few obstacles, perfect for landing. This will do! he thought and called for the children to stop.

"I'm sure you're all wandering why I brought you here. What this trip has to do with our classes. Well, you don't have to wait any more. The reason... is this!"
He reached into the cloth wrappings and grabbed the piece of wood from the handle. Then he removed the cloth with one swift motion, exposing his stick to the children.
"Alright you little devils. You see this? This... is my Broomstick!"
He raised the broomstick along with his voice, pressing the lever at the same time, connecting the power source and bringing the machine to life with a loud hum.
"The 12 magiherz dual-kinetor with hover mode. Our school's top of the line. What does it all mean? Well, let me show you."
With that, he mounted his stick, put his goggles over his eyes and made sure his helmet was secured. He looked at one of the nearby children and handed his cane to them.
"Hold this for me, will ya?"
And then he kicked the ground and he was off. He had waited so long for this and finally he was free! The excitement threatened to make him forget what he was doing it all for. He kept going, faster and higher, as much as this small primitive machine could take. It couldn't compare to the kind of machines he had experienced in the past but it was a thousand times better compared to the mundane stillness of the past two months.

After a few seconds of climbing the little Broomstick couldn't take anymore so he cut the throttle and turned into a dive, spiraling towards the city center. He pulled up and turned over towards the ocean chasing and then overtaking a seabird looking for food over the foam. A poor substitute for a true racing opponent, but the best he could do right now. Finally he turned around and flew over the hill before turning around and making another pass, giving the children gathered there a good impression of the speeds and heights involved.

Eventually he slowed down and came for a landing, coming to a stop in front of the group.
"Amazing, isn't it?" he asked his rhetorical question with the hugest of grins.
He turned off the power and removed his goggles before reaching for his cane.
"This is the kind of miracles Kinetics can achieve! This is what you will learn to build and repair in my class! This is why we learn all those things. Because by the end of the year you will each have your own flying machine, made with your own two hands. And the appropriate impact mitigation helmet, of course." he added, hitting his own helmet with his cane, producing a comical *bong* sound.
"Safety first!" he commented with a smile.
"You'll need them because when they're done, we'll be starting our flying lessons."
He let that statement hang for a second or two before asking them "Now who wants to ride with me first? Don't worry, everyone who wants to will get a turn."

With this demonstration I'll give them a taste of what awaits them further down the line, hopefully making them motivated enough to power through the difficulties.

And, of course, once the demonstration is done and there's no longer any need for secrecy, I'll be zooming around everywhere with my broom. That's the other good thing about floating classrooms: if you can fly, you can just land in them.

Once again, this can be moved to the next month if it's too much.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2020, 08:03:58 pm »

How about you spoiler that wall of what the hell, eh?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2020, 03:21:56 pm »

Teach the children about Plant Magic and Wild Magic

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2020, 10:14:30 pm »

"Perhaps it is time to show these kids what magic can do. Or better yet, what they could one day do with magic. I think those paper golems might make an excellent opportunity, especially for you Magim. I'll start working on a little something of my own..." Kansei said while glancing towards the door.
These monthly meetings were somewhat boring and he was eager to be done with them.

Magim nods thoughtfully. "Hm. I quite agree on that point."

Non-magic action: Teach the students about Arts, Affinities, and any similarly fundamental magical concepts.
"Most wizards have a particular Affinity for a specific type of magical force - the word "element" is not really appropriate, most Affinities are more versatile than the literal definition of the word if one is skilled enough - and choose to specialize in a specific Art, a way of channeling one's Affinity into useful magical effects. It is possible to use multiple Affinities and focus on multiple Arts, but that usually leads to a lack of skill in any one Art or Affinity. Due to that, most wizards prefer to gain a basic understanding of each Art and Affinity, and to then specialize in using a specific Art to channel a specific Affinity."
(and so on, describing each specific Art and Affinity, telling them the Arts and Affinities of us six wizards, etc.)

"I have already stated that my Affinity is Dream and my Art is combat magic. I will now go into more detail about that combination. Dream is, I would say, wild magic if it were an Affinity. Very versatile - as versatile as wild magic is powerful - incredibly versatile if one has enough imagination - but it takes great skill to use that versatility, just as it takes great skill to use the power of wild magic. The more different a desired effect is from the illogic and simplicity of dreams, the unreality and glory of fantasies, or the horror and terror of a nightmare, the more convoluted it must be. And in addition, just as with every other Affinity, it takes skill to use Dream with power.
Moving on to combat magic. Combat magic is, in short, rapid magic specifically for use in combat. Wizards who specialize in combat magic learn spells to make arcane shields and blades and arrows, and also train their body to excel in non-magical combat. It is debatable whether the Affinity of Dream is better than most other Affinities in general, but I'd certainly say that its versatility makes it better in combat; I shouldn't have to explain why.
And now, for a demonstration."

Magic action: Provide the students with a demonstration of dream combat magic by destroying any paper golem I can find.
Channel the instinctive knowledge that one has in dreams to locate the paper golems, use the spatial warping that often occurs in dreams to chase them down, and then use dream combat magic in a variety of ways to destroy them. I suppose I'm showing off; using Adept-level for the destruction.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 2
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2020, 09:04:25 am »

Turn 2: In which some teaching occurs

Dealing with the paper golems

For the magical action, Vids will involve himself with the war on the paper golems, organizing a project for both classes to capture golems.  Students who successfully capture golems will be publically congratulated on their work in front of their classmates.  Then, Vids will lead a demonstration on how to disenchant golems, teaching magical golem theory as part of the demonstrations.  On days where no golems are captured, he will simply explain how golem minds work, attempting to attach the theory with the real-world activity of capturing golems.
Magic action: Provide the students with a demonstration of dream combat magic by destroying any paper golem I can find.
Channel the instinctive knowledge that one has in dreams to locate the paper golems, use the spatial warping that often occurs in dreams to chase them down, and then use dream combat magic in a variety of ways to destroy them. I suppose I'm showing off; using Adept-level for the destruction.

Vids assembles both classes, and explains to them that they will be spending a good deal of time capturing paper golems, so that he can demonstrate the disenchanting of golems. The children nod: understanding your enemy makes strategic sense. Before the children can rush off to construct traps, Magim strides into the clearing and explains that he will be dealing with the golems using dream magic.

Blasting apart a few paper golems would normally be easy work for a combat mage of any variety. Magim, however, has decided to show off.

[6]

He starts by walking behind a tree. As soon as he's gone from view, a loud whoop is heard, and the students look up to see him leaning out of the door of a classroom thirty feet in the air. A paper golem swoops towards him and he catches it with ease, tearing it in half. Several more fly out of the classroom, and he hurls a flurry of magical missiles at them, dream magic manifested as shimmering, rainbow-coloured bolts, the spells homing towards their targets and disintegrating them into showers of confetti. His building is climbing towards the top of its orbit, and he springs off and onto another, dropping an astonishing distance to land on the roof in a cat's crouch. A handful of paper constructs converge on him armed with pencils and rulers, but a sword of multicoloured dream energy appears in his hand, and he decapitates the golems with ease.

After several more displays of acrobatics and swordsmanship, Magim finishes off the last few golems by hurling a ball of crackling arcane energy at a lecture room desperately defended by the remaining paper constructs. He drops to the ground and bows to polite applause, as the pink smoke cloud enveloping the lecture room dissipates and scraps of paper fall to the ground.

Teaching the students

Non-magic action: Teach the students about Arts, Affinities, and any similarly fundamental magical concepts.

[5]

You spend a month explaining the fundamentals of magic to Class A, which is all you have time for. Luckily, the students absorb the information quite well, and now have a pretty clear idea of which branches of magic each teacher specialises in.

Teach the children about Plant Magic and Wild Magic
You only have time to teach one class about one subject - teaching twenty students magic is HARD. Much easier to teach a specific class.

You start by teaching class A plant magic.

[2]

Sadly, it does not go well. None of class A seems to have any particular gift for plant magic, and only Irene, a quiet girl from the mountains, manages to grow a single weed. The students are disappointed by this setback, some openly wondering if they have any actual magical ability at all.

You also attempt to teach class B wild magic, though not with any particular affinity. As this class takes to magic very quickly, channeling the natural power of the site, you decide to let them go for it on the spell front. Or perhaps they rush off in excitement before you can say anything. It can be hard to tell.

[6]

This does not go well at all. The majority of the students manage to pull off some kind of spell, in a wild and uncontrolled manner, and with consequences that have nothing to do with the intended effects. Even worse, several of these spells were performed outside the school grounds, or somehow escape into Ockell. Mild chaos ensues.

The stones of one of the main streets are suddenly covered in a thin layer of melted butter, resulting in many small injuries. Several pots and pans in a tavern kitchen grow legs, absconding through an open window. A plump tom cat being lovingly groomed by the daughters of a local merchant suddenly develops a red, scaly tail a foot long, and runs off like the whole world is after him. The wooden mast of a ship in Ockell harbour swells with thick branches and green leaves - at least one student here can do plant magic. A blacksmith's anvil suddenly levitates fifteen feet into the air, and refuses to come down. One of the thick tomes of city records in the mayor's office is transmuted into pure silver, while another is covered in indescipherable numeric codes and highly detailed star charts two million years out of date. Similar events happen all over Ockell, too many to recount, let alone track down and reverse. Luckily, the damage is minimised by the fact that the students are still very weak mages. Nonetheless, town feeling is decidedly against the little scamps.

On days where no golems are captured, he will simply explain how golem minds work, attempting to attach the theory with the real-world activity of capturing golems.

For the nonmagical action, Vids will teach classes on anatomy, medecine, and the rudimentary basics of life magic. 

During both actions, keep a special eye out for students who are particularly interested in the subjects, or show particular talent.  Vids would rather have a few dedicated apprentices than a gaggle of disinterested children.
Vids starts by attempting to teach class B golem magic, using a couple of carefully created non-insane paper golems, disenchanting them at the end of each lesson.

[6]

Again, class B takes well to the magic - perhaps too well. Rather than absorbing any magical theory, they rather seem to learn by imitation, mimicking the spells used to create the paper golems in making their own constructs out of mud and leaves. The pitiful little things generally fall apart after a few seconds, but the students are developing very quickly.

At the same time, Vids starts to educate class A in some basic ideas about life magic and the human body. A competent fleshworker, he is capable of aiding explanations by gently peeling back his own skin and muscle to expose the workings of a limb, before returning the flesh to it's original position unharmed.

[3]

The lessons progress slowly, as the children struggle to keep up with the constant flow of information and variety of different topics. By the end of the month, the class has a rudimentary medical understanding of the human body.

Non Magic Action: Take the students boating. Lecture on the delights and dangers of contractual magic. As Homework, require each child to develop a practice contract, that they will bring to me. I will role play the being with which they seek to contract, and will respond as that being would. Make sure failures are felt most painfully. Also, make sure each of my class sessions has an excellent shared meal. Food is important to a growing body, mind, soul, and community.
You hire a barge for the month, and take class B on pleasant excursions along the Gef. You explain the ins and outs of contractual magic, a subset of the ritual Arts, and ask each child individually to develop a practice contract. Any that leave dangerous loopholes in the contract or agree to bad terms are given a sense of what an eternity of servitude to a Deep being might feel like by being pushed into the freezing waters of the Gef, to be fished out shivering by their comrades. It's a warm enough season that nobody develops hypothermia.

[4]

Not too many children are pushed in, as the majority of them understand the dangers involved, and come up with minor contracts for small favours. Unusually for class B, the students don't immediately try to practice contractual magic for real, instead taking a very sober attitude towards what they have learned. They do seem a little intimidated by your teaching methods, as well as the horrific stories of contracts gone wrong.

The shared meal is a nice little event each evening, that quickly turns into a school custom. Few teachers supervise the meal. The food itself is provided by an Ockell kitchen... apparently the Administration set this up for you too.

-
You set up one of the floating teaching rooms to your satisfaction. Most of the children have been taught reading, writing and mathematics, just at a rather basic level, and haven't developed them much. They're all fairly smart and hardworking, so their skills develop quickly as you use the blackboard. If you want exceptional mathematicians or students that read at a university level, you could probably hire someone to teach that. You are going to have to accept that you can't give these children the same all-round education you received... though come to think of it, a lot of your classmates haven't achieved much of note, so perhaps all those years of Algebra of Thaumaturgy modules were wasted on them anyway.

You only have time to teach Class A the basic theory behind tinkering, mechanics and kinetic magic, almost reaching the stage at which they start to do small magical practicals. As it is, they do get to assemble a few non-magical devices involving gears, levers, inclined planes and so on.

[1]

The students understand the material alright, but during the last few days of the month, stage a general strike, refusing to learn more unless the school comes clean with them. They have a keen understanding of the difference between magic and magical theory, and are aware that no matter how exciting a pulley system or mathematical proof might be, it does not constitute an act of wizardry. They seem to have come to believe that their entire class is incapable of performing magic, and is being educated under false pretences, perhaps to become some sort of civil engineers or non-magical professionals, or as the control group in some kind of experiment. The theories vary, but all of them rest on some sort of dishonesty on the part of the teachers.

Persuading Class A that they are in fact capable of magic, or otherwise dealing with their suspiscions, will be necessary if anyone is to teach them anything.

Diverse other matters

Magic Action: Buy grape seeds and use magic to speed up their growth, focusing on yield and taste if possible.

Non-Magic Action: Research the market for wine in the town, and get into contact with local brewers. Are there any magical spirits/creatures known for brewing?
The town could certainly do with more wine, the harsh climate of most of the West Isle making growing grapes difficult and risky, while imported stuff is expensive and hard to come by. It is regarded as something as a luxury even in Ockell, although in truth the taverns and clubs serve mostly rough year-old reds and cheap whites from Merril. Several town brewers exist, all of whom are keen to work with a wizard. There is a lot of improvement possible here.

Magical brewers, eh? The faries of the Mosswoods are said to create marvellous black wines, strange and heady, using grapes grown from the limbs of thousand year old oaks. Few humans have ever tasted such a thing, and those that have are said to have shared in the knowledge of the fay, understanding the forces of fate and destiny. The Bull of the Usk is the patron deity of the few winemakers of the South of the island, the only place grapes easily grow. A blessing by the Bull tends to result in a marvellous year for any crop or livestock, though no vineyard has been so lucky for several decades.

You purchase some cheap grape seeds and plant, then use plant magic to start forcing the resulting vines to grow fast, plentifully and well. Your specialism in shapeshifting is of no use to you, so the process turns out to be quite tricky.

[5]

Despite the complexity of the task, you now have half an acre of flourishing red grapes, sweet, juicy and ideal for wine-making, which the students mostly leave alone. Hmm... better get these picked soonish. You could use local labour. Or even child labour, if that doesn't clash with your ethical beliefs. A few Class A students dispiritedly suggest that they might have been sent to Ockell to help with the grape harvest, rather than to learn magic at all.

-

[2]

You create a rather weak broom, capable of slow, short flights. It fails to particularly inspire the children, as other mages have done far more impressive things in front of them. So have you, in fact.

It stops working after a few days.

Magic Action: Perform a fey ritual to attract wood sprites from Mosswood to take up residence in our living facilities.
Fairies are wilful beings, and never easy to manipulate. Nevertheless, the thick greenery created by the plant mages looks hospitable enough, despite being in the centre of a town, and the site does have an attractive hum of background magic. Perhaps you can tempt a few Mosswood denizens here.

[2]

Despite your invocations, ceremonial burning of Mosswood timber, and magic digrams, no wood sprites appear, nor anything else. This was pretty ambitious, and fay do prefer contact on their own ground. A visit to the Mosswoods could produce more success, perhaps?

Spoiler: School Status (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Taking players!
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2020, 02:01:37 pm »

Hori smacks his forehead in slow motion, eyes wide and mouth in a wide O shape.

"I knew I wanted to perform that fey ritual at the Mosswood. What was I thinking? How silly of me, to make such a fundamental mistake. Ah well, never mind that, we have soemthing wonderful to do! This is an excellent oppportunity to learn about two different kinds of rituals, the ritual of magical testing and the ritual of regret!"
Non Magic Action: Lead Class B around town, performing ritual acts of apology and requiring them to make amends for their accidental misdeeds.
Magic Action: Describe, demonstrate, and perform a magical affinity ritual (or series of rituals) with Class A (and if there is time, Class B as well). I can think of a few examples of said rituals, but there are probably too many to catalogue. Hopefully the other teachers will assist with the rituals for their specialities.

Spoiler: Hori Heera (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: active mages (click to show/hide)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard School RTD: Turn 2
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »

"Well, Mister Hori, I plan on venturing into the Mosswoods this month, so you can tag along if you'd like to."

Non-Magical Action: Announce to Class A and B that I plan on going to the Mosswoods, and anybody that picks a basket of grapes can tag along. Sell the trip to them, talking of opportunities to meet kind fay spirits and find valuable magical herbs and plants which they can sell for a fortune. Add that anything they find or pick is theirs!

Magical Action: Once I (and any children and the grapes) reach the Mosswoods, transform myself into a wise, respectful-looking treant and try to find some faeries (or other creatures) to brew my grapes into wine. If  anything asks why I have a flock of human children following me around, say solemnly with my tree sap leaking that they are orphans I took pity on and took in out of kindness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7