Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS IMPROVEMENT???  (Read 1614 times)

Nicholas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FPS IMPROVEMENT???
« on: August 03, 2020, 11:16:42 pm »

Computer stats

Windows 7
16gb ddr4
1 Terra HardDisk
2 sli 660 Geforce video
3.5 Ghz i5 3550p

Anyways, I thought I should post before another 2 years pass.
Possible speed increase all around All games. Improves FPS in game for me.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management.

Create Dynamic Disk (It will say (Windows Cannot be installed to this disk dynamic latter) that if your going to reinstall your OS.
Simple fix; Find Windows XP CD reformate your hard drive then continue with your main OS installation. XP DGAF

Now once you created dynamic disk; Shrink Volume and create a new partition of 20gb (1024* 20)=20480
You can create smaller or more but I found 20gb to be most stable. Possible Max up to 3 volumes, keeps hard disk read write speed normal. Note I made over 20 drives waste of time.

From what I theorized, this changes flow of traffic in the Bus for RAM, GPU, CPU, HARD DISK. By creating a new Path.
Anyways once you create the new partition (might ask to restart).
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System --Advance System Setting--> Advance Tab --> Performance Tab/Settings --> Advance Tab --> Virtual Memory/Change.
First select and turn on Page File for the new Drive you created (MAX IT OUT) then restart PC.     
First go and turn off Page File for your main Drive or another location you might have it at. (Might Say Debug or Dump error logs cant be saved) That's not a big problem vs Performance then restart PC.

There you have it.
Start Dwarf Fortress and dig, dig, dig
Plz leave a comment, so I know its not just me. lol   

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: FPS IMPROVEMENT???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:32:36 am »

From what I theorized, this changes flow of traffic in the Bus for RAM, GPU, CPU, HARD DISK. By creating a new Path.
That comment doesn't make any sense - all you're doing is moving your swap file to a different partition, and the only beneft of doing that is that it will be contiguous, which can improve performance if it's on a spinning hard disk. Also, those steps are serious overkill - if that's all you really want to do, you can temporarily turn swap off, defragment your disk (you might need a 3rd-party tool, since I don't know if the builtin defrag is thorough enough), then turn swap back on with a suitably large size.

If you're suffering from poor performance due to excess swap activity, a much better solution would be to make more RAM available to the applications you're trying to run. Close your other memory-hungry apps (like your web browser) and your games will thank you, and if your motherboard is capable of supporting more RAM, max it out.

Probably the best solution, though, is to get an SSD and put your operating system on it. Your computer will probably boot in under 30 seconds, and everything will be faster.

Create Dynamic Disk
Now once you created dynamic disk; Shrink Volume and create a new partition of 20gb (1024* 20)=20480
You don't actually need to do this - Windows 7 (and later) can shrink Basic disks just fine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:34:09 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 11:47:28 pm »

Ive seen improvement in FPS, by turning off the weather in init_d, by exterminating climbstuck monsters with dfHack, and of course by using performance GPU settings.

I imagine limiting interupts may help.

Ive run 2 worldgens at once out to 10000yrs, to admire the different history seed in both.  No crash, there.  My DF games crash to desktop with 160+ dorfs, 50+ pets, 1 caravan or 1 invasion. Especially if it is autumn, leaf falling time or there is a fire burning up a cavern.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 11:20:49 pm »

Ive seen improvement in FPS, by turning off the weather in init_d, by exterminating climbstuck monsters with dfHack, and of course by using performance GPU settings.

The first couple should work anywhere.

But how do GPU settings help on a game that's 16-color sprites?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:36:08 am »

The different drawing modes can take less time to update the screen, leaving more time to do other things. Note that all modes except TEXT are all actually graphics modes using pictures of text (or pixel art if using a graphics set).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:40:08 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 01:03:38 am »

The different drawing modes can take less time to update the screen, leaving more time to do other things. Note that all modes except TEXT are all actually graphics modes using pictures of text (or pixel art if using a graphics set).

But the other things aren't done by the GPU.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 07:25:44 am »

But how do GPU settings help on a game that's 16-color sprites?
The "STANDARD" rendering mode actually uses OpenGL, so it can definitely benefit from custom GPU settings.

Besides, the game isn't "16-color sprites" - it uses graphical tiles that fill the entire playfield, and each tile can have 128 different color schemes applied to it (16 different foreground colors and 8 different background colors).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.