Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Dryad Rage 2: Another game about growing a Tree and possibly civil war?  (Read 15642 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dryad Rage 2: Another game about growing a Tree.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 07:26:35 am »

(Mine is simply translation, it ended up being a good name.)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 11:42:49 am »

Did my character not get added because of a GM error, or did I not read the fine print?
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 12:58:02 pm »

Well, for one you don't have a body. Another may be that Nature is completely incorrect, as Spawner Deployment has no relation to Nature. Another is perhaps filler being filler, or not wanting too many to start.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »

Did my character not get added because of a GM error, or did I not read the fine print?

You don't get to play this game, and I'll leave it at that. Talk to me via PM if you feel the need to discuss this further.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 04:20:47 pm »

Winter 2, Year 0

Winter is not a friendly time for trees, especially the small ones. The tree is only able to grow and produce mana due to the nutrients it is obtaining from its seed; however these nutrients are almost depleted at this point...

The tree uses its stored mana to Manifest the Dryad Petra!

Petra makes an attempt to form a Vine Wall with a 0.8 power multiplier and a few vines emerge from beneath the snow. Its not quite enough to make a perimiter around the tree.

Petra then attempts to fossilize the Vine Wall with a 0.2 power Petrification... This does not seem to be working however. Having been so recently made the vines are not yet classified as "previously" alive... But it should only be a matter of time.

Looking around, it seems like there are some stones covered by a thin layer of snow... In the distance, Petra can also see something moving. It seems to be getting closer...

A semicircle of vines surrounds the tree.

Dryad Tutorial
Each turn you may use any abilities that your Dryad has. Abilities generally do not cost mana. For optimal results, clearly state the name of all abilities that you intend to use on your turn. Ideally using bold text for the names. While it is possible to use an ability with a power multiplier of less than 1.0, this will often not be powerful enough to do whatever it is you are trying to do.

With a physical form, you can attempt to move around; however you cannot stray too far from the tree. As the tree gets bigger, new areas will open up for you. While it is possible to attack without the use of an ability, such an action will seldom provide useful results. Most forms of damage cannot permanently destroy a Dryad. This is only true while the tree survives.

Spoiler: Dryads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:59:46 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 04:44:24 pm »

Take some of the stones and Fabricate a warhammer, full power.

[Can Dryads that are still Spirits use their abilities, or do they need to be Manifested or Summoned first?]
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 04:55:18 pm »

[The tree does have new spells, so I'm guessing no. Next turn Innana can be manifested with a 2.0 power multiplier, which would help somewhat. On the other hand, I can convert things for the tree, which would help a bit.]

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 06:08:48 pm »

He wondered if he was late to awaken. He wondered if he would wake at all. Either way, he prayed for the Tree's safety.

Spoiler: Slow is not Weak (click to show/hide)
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »

Winter 3, Year 0

Another Dryad Spirit has come to the tree, from deep below!

Petra uses the Fabricate ability to create a Stone Warhammer. The stones seem to be of low quality, but were sufficient to make a Stone Warhammer at 1.0 quality!

And not a moment too soon! Approaching the tree is some manner of Slime monster! Some slimes are massive, powerful, nigh-invulnerable carnivorous giants capable of consuming and digesting prey the size of a bear. Fortnately, this particular slime is none of those things.

Except the non-carnivorous part. It being non-carnivorous is not so fortunate in this particular case!

The semicircle of vines around the tree droops and begins to brown...

Slime: 5/5hp

Combat Tutorial
You can use any of your abilities in combat, provided that you properly allocate your power multiplier to them. Alternatively, you can use your power multiplier for a 'conventional' attack. Conventional attacks are less effective than any similar ability would be.

Some abilities will create semi-permanent objects. If an object of sufficient quality is created it will appear in the Defenses/Creations spoiler!

If things are getting dangerous, then you can use magic spells to turn the odds in your favor! The tree's magic is separate from the actions of the dryads and thus does not require power multiplier to use.

Not every combat scenario necessarily needs to be solved by violent means...

Spoiler: Dryads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenses/Creations (click to show/hide)

Going forward, please include your character name in your action posts.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 06:36:46 pm »

Try feeding it those vines you create?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 07:14:31 pm »

"Hm, indeed. The vines are already shriveling, and such a thing would not hold up for long, even petrified. Worst case scenario? You drop the hammer, heh.

"In addition, we should save the mana within the Tree - start by summoning multiple of us as soon as possible. There is strength in numbers... Oh, accursed spirit-tongue. I meant to Manifest, not Summon."

Oakstance

Seeing little to do as a Spirit, but knowing the potential small things have, he focuses his energies upon the Tree itself.
Fortify.
Grow.
Live, he thought, his incorporeal focus wholly upon the Tree's expansion.

Would it work?
It mattered not to him. He was here for the long haul, not the short term "Oh that didn't work better do something else."
Such was Nature's way.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:01:45 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 08:11:05 pm »

Petra

"Oh, I'll feed it alright."
Raise a Vinewall - more of a vine column, perhaps - up through the center of the slime, at exceedingly high speed, and full power.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2020, 08:18:45 pm »

With a sigh more felt that heard, Doraido continues to nap.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

He thought about what his sibling's intent was. Impale the slime.
Normally a bad idea because of the "Nailing Jello to a Wall" theory, this would be even less effective due to the whole "A slime is just a gooey stomach" thing. It ate vegetative matter and specialized in such. As a result, attacks from plant-based weaponry would not end well. His fists felt like they were sizzling at the thought of the fact. But who was he to order around his brethren? All he could do was logically passive-agress at this point.

...wait, what the heck is Jello?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2020, 08:45:17 pm »

Petra

Sensing the opinions of his companions, Petra considered his plan again, and decided that there was a simple alternative, not needing much alteration.
The column will be large enough to raise the whole of the slime, rather than impaling it, hopefully launching it up into the air such that it splatters into harmless pieces upon impact with the ground.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25