Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't they clean up the mess I made?  (Read 906 times)

Sajiky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't they clean up the mess I made?
« on: August 05, 2020, 10:50:24 pm »

I reclaimed a fort after forgetting to lock the door I put up to keep out the undead ::).

I have toggled forbidden off of every single loose item. Most of my dwarves are set to haul everything, many with no other tasks set. I have stockpiles reset since the reclamation, set to take almost everything, definitely set to take stuff I see everywhere.

Most of the stuff is still scattered all over my fort, and I have idle dwarves all over the place doing nothing about it.

I did finally figure out the magical combination of stuff to do to bury the dead, but can't get the lazy buggers to pick up after me. What do I need to do to kick their asses into gear?

Sajiky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't they clean up the mess I made?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 11:44:19 pm »

Think I got em going. Memorialized a couple ghosts from the previous admin. Then a trader came, and it seemed getting their buts in gear bringing things to trade got em cleaning up in general.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't they clean up the mess I made?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:14:00 pm »

Not sure if it's related, but sometimes the game doesn't automatically check for stuff to bring to stockpiles, especially linked stockpiles. Forbidding and unforbidding these items seems to force a check and kick things back to normal. Possibly, the trade caravan appearing made you open the trade menu, which in turn forced that checking for items and got them organizing things.

To reproduce this bug, simply set two of the same stockpiles right next to each other, and set one to just take from links and make sure no wheelbarrows are involved in any of them. Then, after the first stockpile is full, set it to give to the empty stockpile that only takes from links, and watch as no one hauls anything, until you forbid and unforbid stuff.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!